paint information.

hello all, i'm getting ready to strip the paint off of my 1962 b67. i don't think the color will matter, but it's the yellow mack used in 62. my question is, did mack use lead based paint to paint the trucks or something else?  thanks for your time and have a great day!! tomvb.

Lead was all pervasive in oil based paints . Lead was used most heavily in the warmer colors to brighten and stabilize the pigment . The big push to remove lead from  automotive paint started in the early 70's and coincided with the introduction of acrylic enamels . Any OEM paint done prior to the mid 70's almost certainly is lead based.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

As  41 chev said it is lead based paint. I do not know  how you plan to remove the paint but I have had good results with the stripper discs that go on a 4 1/2 " grinder. They remove the paint but do not hurt the metal.  Faster than the liquid strippers and not as messy. Needs to be done outside up wind and with a good dust mask.

• Like 1