After 146 years, the Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey circus is to close

kscarbel2

Reuters via The Guardian  /  January 15, 2017

The self-styled greatest show on earth has been hit by the enforced loss of its elephants and declining ticket sales

The American circus, Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey, has said it will cease performances after 146 years because of declining tickets sales and high operating costs.

“After much evaluation and deliberation, my family and I have made the difficult business decision that Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey will hold its final performances in May,” Kenneth Feld, chairman and chief executive of Feld Entertainment, the circus producer, said on the circus’ web site.

In May last year, the circus retired its elephant act, years after legal action by activists. It admitted no wrongdoing, but agreed to a six-figure fine several years before ending the elephant performances.

In his statement on Saturday, Feld noted that declining sales had fallen off even more dramatically following what he called “the transition of the elephants off the road”.

Animal rights group Peta said it the decision heralded “the end of what has been the saddest show on earth for wild animals, and asks all other animal circuses to follow suit, as this is a sign of changing times”.

Peta president Ingrid Newkirk also said in its statement that 36 years of protests had “awoken the world to the plight of animals in captivity.“

Activists often appeared outside venues with fliers, protesting against the use of elephants, and pictures of animals they said were abused.

After Feld Entertainment sued, claiming malicious prosecution, more than a dozen animal welfare groups agreed in 2012 and 2014 to pay settlements totalling about $25m to end 14 years of litigation.

The circus went by the slogan “The greatest show on earth”, a catchphrase that was so ubiquitous it was employed for the title of the 1952 Cecil B DeMille best picture Oscar-winning film starring Charlton Heston and Betty Hutton.

The circus will end it long run with performances in Providence on 7 May and in Uniondale, New York, on 21 May. Other Feld productions, including Marvel Universe LIVE!, Monster Jam, Monster Energy Supercross, AMSOIL Arenacross, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!, will continue, and the company said it will continue to develop new shows.

Employees were told of the decision to close down following performances on Saturday in Florida.

I had sheep, chickens, a few pigs, rabbits, ducks and squab (hi class pigeons) Spring time most lambs and rabbits would all get a free vacation at Club Westinghouse and a fine Easter Dinner too.

School used to bring the classes over in the spring to see the animals until a few teachers complained to the school board.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

6 minutes ago, gearhead204 said:

Yah........either one .....Ringling Bros. or the Obummer white house:P 

So, I was thinking that since I could not run away and join the circus I would run for president of the US in 2020- now you're telling me that that's not going to happen either?.. another bummer!

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

We should start an anti PETA rally squat outside thier houses all night and smoke dope in a circle......They should be alright with it since everyone thinks pot is OK with everyone ahahahahahahaha.......bob

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, other dog said:

So, I was thinking that since I could not run away and join the circus I would run for president of the US in 2020- now you're telling me that that's not going to happen either?.. another bummer!

no...2020 is wide open ! .........just stating that the country is losing two circus's in 2017, so it would have been difficult to join either one