CATastrophie

carlotpilot

Cat engines like to do that. Hopefully the coolant system has had good care and the liners are not all pitted to hell on the coolant side.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

we will see in a couple days  this is in a t2000 kw ` you have to dismantle the whole truck to get to the eng.                        as someone else said  you can see the motor but your arms are`nt long enough to work on it :D

Edited by carlotpilot
  • Like 1

Heck that guy hadn't even got to the good stuff yet. We have 13 DD15's in our fleet of 48. Air compressor is located on the left side at bell housing and the power steering pump is driven off the compressor. Starter is on right side. The belt tension-er is one piece and keeps tension on both belts and is a bitch to release to install the alt/ac belt which also drives the water pump. Tension-er is $185 with a $50 core. The filters are all cartridge and you have to change the oil and filter, build oil psi first before changing fuel filters or it could throw a fault code. Now the up side- 7.5 mpg at 100,000 GVW, and will start at the drop of a hat at -5* with good fuel of coarse. And it has extremely strong engine brake. And very few internal issues. 

Truck Shop

One ping only

2 hours ago, Timmyb said:

Having my own cat issues at the moment. Has failed bottle test after new head gasket. 

Is it common practice to replace spacer plate on c15 when doing head or rebuild?

Haven't been into the c-15 myself. Is it a steel spacer plate or alum ? On the older 3406, as long as the plate wasn't worn, I always reused them without problems. Did you have the head rebuilt or just replace the gasket? If I remember right, they have copper sleeves around the injector  body that if they are damaged can cause a pressurized coolant system. Also, if the o-rings are bad, they will put coolant into the fuel system.  

It's had a full rebuild, new head and injectors. Yeah this one has a steel spacer plate. 

When loaded up this would use 16l (4 gallons) of coolant in about 300kms. Unhitched my trailers and bobtailed home and didn't use a drop so it only using it loaded. It's warranty job but it's been in the shop for 2 weeks and they have to pull head off again. 

The injector sleeves are steel and sealed by two o-rings. When they leak it will put fuel in the cooling system and coolant in the fuel. When installing the sleeves the o-rings should have a thin coating of Cat green loctite applied to them. Was it a Cat reman head that was used? The C-15 can develop small cracks around the exhaust seats and ports. If the spacer plate was cleaned with a 3M rol-lock it can distort the surface around the any port openings. Normally I reuse the spacer but I have replaced several. Was there only one steel shim gasket used under the spacer to block?  I have had two gasket sets where there were two shim gaskets pressed together. Those gaskets are .009 thick and only one can be used. The other thing was the block cut for shims under the liners? I have found most need to be cut for shims and several blocks get all Six cut. If you have three low liners you may as well cut the other three and be done with. Other wise you will be back in that engine fairly soon.

Truck Shop 

One ping only

Thanks Truck shop mate. When it was built I requested a brand new cylinder head for that reason. And they counter bored it for liner height. Which is why I'm wondering about the spacer plate if I should just get a new one.