how do i check/adjust puffer valve on '77 676

diggin dirt

6 minutes ago, diggin dirt said:

it seems my old 676 2 valve is lacking fuel. my puffer valve on front of injector pump is hooked only to intake manifold and not tied in with my brake system like some i have seen.  i rarely see any black smoke from my exhaust.

Should have a shuttle relay valve plumbed into the intake manifold also. I would disconnect and plug the port in the manifold disallowing operation of the unit which only serves to limit fuel rack travel inside the injection pump till boost pressure elevates. If still no smoke from a "Maxidyne" engine with this disconnected, there is either high wear in the plungers/barrels, or the governor is not operating correctly. Both require disassembly of the injection pump to correct. It should smoke like a banshee if the engine is getting enough fuel. Lack of smoke equates to lack of fuel. 

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

three checks! check the throtle make suire it is going all the way to the end of its travel on the pump!

2 - check to be sure  the stop cable is going full on!

#3 Remove the bimbo slave from the pump and see if this changes your power situation it may be stuck out how ever as Glenn stated it needs air to operate!

Edited by fjh