Mack B Model Restoration

I am having my 1958 B model steering wheel recast by D & D Automobilia.  I want to ensure that the recast product is true to the original design as possible.  My wheel had 3 large cracks on the center as pictured.  Can anyone tell me if this trio is part of the original casting or something that formed over time (I know the gap would've been much smaller on a brand new wheel)?  If anyone can post pictures of original steering wheels so I can give their shop some guidance I would appreciate it.  Also, would the Mack Historical Museuem have any blueprints or drawings on these wheels?  If so who do I contact to get some of these.  Most important thing to me is keeping it as original as possible.  The wheel doesn't look bad, but it was in sad shape when I removed it.  Any and all help is greatly appreciated.  

15727033_10102377552078602_634857528448767203_n.jpg

m-img-0995.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

yup, cracks were not an original option... they get worse with age, and sunlight. I have even seen a few nice original wheels that weren't that bad, get worse on a restored truck that is driven regularly. maybe possibly the excellent pavement surfaces we have in our infascruture lately

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I would too like to see the finished result.

The most restorers I checked out just fill up cracks and than paint a wheel. What seems to me not nice, especially after some runs when you worn a coat of paint through.

A local company made a silicone form to cast a new body on an old carcass of epoxy resin. But they have made it for only one particular (and popular) classic Russian car. I asked to make a custom form for my Mack wheel and quoted for nearly $1000. Not ready to tell I was happy to hear that figure.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012