Mack B-75 tractors

I think this subject must have a good story-that is to come out with the B with its small confining cab, versus keeping the L-with its spacious cab, high seating position, good sightlines.  And as for the BBC issue, the C solved that.

There had to be an internal battle at Mack over this decision.  If nothing else, logic would have said to me.."ok the L is old-lets keep what's good-visibility, room and upgrade the rest.  If we are still long in the tooth, we can go to plan "B"-pun intended.

How about it KSC-any history you can share?

I would guess cost was a major influence in the design of the B cab versus the L. The B styling was more modern at the time, going away from the boxy look of the 30's.

Does anyone have a price listing for a B70 series that would show a price difference of the optional L cab?

Edited by Phase 1

12 hours ago, Red Horse said:

I think this subject must have a good story-that is to come out with the B with its small confining cab, versus keeping the L-with its spacious cab, high seating position, good sightlines.  And as for the BBC issue, the C solved that.

There had to be an internal battle at Mack over this decision.  If nothing else, logic would have said to me.."ok the L is old-lets keep what's good-visibility, room and upgrade the rest.  If we are still long in the tooth, we can go to plan "B"-pun intended.

How about it KSC-any history you can share?

I'm not that old. But the fact that the "L" series cab (CA31) was reintroduced says a lot.

Still, as we all know, the fleets overwhelmingly chose the CA21 or CA27 (contour).

At the time, the CA21 had the feeling of being a newer, sleeker, more modern cab that the CA31, which it in fact was.

• Like 1

Love this style of the B Model, really my favorite. I have both and there's just something about the lines of the cab, high radiator, fenders and aluminum step tanks that really does it for me. It does seem that the rounded B cab was more durable, though. Maybe the rounded design took the vibrations/stress better. construction seems simpler and has less parts than the L. The L still wins it for me, more head room, slightly longer, bigger windows and really good ventilation. Three cowl vents and two back corner vents for airflow. Just a really sharp combination of both series.