R model paint color oppions wanted

well here are my 72 and 69  r685 trucks , as you see in my previous post I just finished an RWS Orange for a customer and now I want to get my own trucks looking good . I plan on  painting both of these trucks two tone . I would like some oppions on colors for the cab and hood wheels hubs etc  and  schemes . 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Well not sure what you're looking for my friend but most of them back in the day were either red or green was black spokes and grey rims black tanks my personal favorite is the green like your shop one of these days if I ever finished my DM I will be painting it green.....bob

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

There was a rental outfit around Hartford Connecticut that used to paint them light green and dark green of some sort can't quite remember exactly how they were painted but they looked really good this was back around 1970 you might want to sniff around and some fellows might have photos of them good luck Bob

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

There must be a couple of thousand R model pictures on here. Scroll through and see if anything tickles your fancy.

I always liked a solid red body with black fenders.  Jim Hancock has posted quite a few pics of really nice R models. Here is a link to the red/black combo: 

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Thanks guys for the input , Maddog you are correct I did have my blue 72 up for sale awhile back . The guy backed out on me and anyone after that wanted to give me 2,000 bucks for it heck I have more than that in rubber and batteries on the truck all the tires are good and virgin rubber so I said forget it I'll just keep it and give it to one of my three sons 😊

• Like 1

I'd go with IH red and white........always looks good dragging a John Deere:D........I'm cheep myself so tractor colors are my preference, 40-60 bucks a gallon for enamel just add hardner  and buff, no clear coat to peal if left unwaxed..... just some more buffing!

5 hours ago, gearhead204 said:

I'd go with IH red and white........always looks good dragging a John Deere:D........I'm cheep myself so tractor colors are my preference, 40-60 bucks a gallon for enamel just add hardner  and buff, no clear coat to peal if left unwaxed..... just some more buffing!

Trucks should be red tractors should be green. 

• Like 1

You've got a classic R model there so why not stay with the original Mack colors. Mack Green or Mack Red with gloss black chassis components & grey rims as it would've come off the assembly line & would look good, especially with the new paint formulas that are available these days vs. the old ones (DuPont Dulux enamel, etc.). You could break-up the green on the hood with gloss black fenders, grille area & the brow where the bulldog sits.....there're good edges there for taping off when you do the accent. The lower edge of the hood striping would be your break point between the colors. It's just an idea but there were a lot of companies that used that combination back in the day (Yonkers Contracting, C & K Petroleum Transporters, Gulf Oil Co.). Mack used to have a paint scheme page if you were ordering a new chassis back in the late 60's & 70's & the customer could pick what he wanted. I had those pages at one time but are long gone now. Just some thoughts!

• Like 1