Bentz sleeper

So I bought this sleeper on Christmas eve for on my superliner, thought it looked like the ones on the liberty editions, but I see now they have 2 windows up top. Also, after further research (after I bought it of course) I see that a sleeper on a superliner from factory has the corners cut out for the exhaust. I think I have an idea for that when installed tho. My question is, how should I got about installing this? I didn't measure the opening on the sleeper, but it's more like our Kenworth with a flattop, not an upside down triangle like a Mack hole. Should I cut a square hole in the cab to match? Or "fill" the opening of the sleeper to a Mack style opening? Do I need to brace the cab after cutting it open or is it okay being an all steel cab? was planning on using that accordion tube as a gasket. Thanks for any  help or advice in advance.

Screenshot_2017-01-02-21-09-37.png

Dang, my eyes lit up when I saw Bentz sleeper.  I'm trying to fix my boo boo from a couple years ago and hope to maybe find another bunk to just replace it.  Mine has the tapered front corners.

Can't offer much assistance as for cutting the truck to fit.  When I did my B model I cut it out to match the bracing on the back of the cab and adjusted the bunk to match.  I then cut and adjusted the original boot to fit.  No problems, never a leak.  Then I had to go bang it up....ugh.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Just my inexperienced opinion is it would prob be better/easier to make the bunk match the cab.       If you modify the back of the cab you won't have factory style interior peices to match anymore. The front of the bunk could have a large peice of aluminum plate bolted/rivited put on the front to make the ne opening.  it would be hid behind stacks and inbetween bunk and cab out of sight.        There is a guy on here in the process of putting a KW on his superliner I believe.   I'm horrible with names but pretty sure it's AZ something or another.   

Edited by Hobert62

Thanks for the advice. freighttrain, you would probably be jealous if you knew what I (think anyhow) stole this for.

Hobert, I believe that is what this sleeper came from. I tried searching the forums but no luck, most likely operator error. But that makes sense. Interior will be getting a makeover also in this process.

Bentz sleepers where built in Ft Wayne, IN. The vast majority of them went onto Internationals.  The company I worked for leased 3 tractors to Bentz to haul the sleepers from Ft Wayne to Springfield, OH.  The 1st was a GMC General which they updated twice with custom bunks to use at shows when not running to Springfield. This was replaced with an International after a few years also with a custom Bentz bunk. The other two were International 9700's. Bentz went through a few changes over the years and some of old Bentz can now be found at Bolt Custom Trucks & Manufacturing.

Bentz did build for the aftermarket as well but like I said the vast majority went onto IHC trucks so if you find one cut for another manufacture you have something unusual.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2017 at 5:50 PM, Terry T said:

Bentz sleepers where built in Ft Wayne, IN. The vast majority of them went onto Internationals.  The company I worked for leased 3 tractors to Bentz to haul the sleepers from Ft Wayne to Springfield, OH.  The 1st was a GMC General which they updated twice with custom bunks to use at shows when not running to Springfield. This was replaced with an International after a few years also with a custom Bentz bunk. The other two were International 9700's. Bentz went through a few changes over the years and some of old Bentz can now be found at Bolt Custom Trucks & Manufacturing.

Bentz did build for the aftermarket as well but like I said the vast majority went onto IHC trucks so if you find one cut for another manufacture you have something unusual.

Bentz is still in business sleepers and crew cab sleepers for F-liners PAACAR and Navistar. My Maron sleepers are both Bentz, one single wid window and one double like the Superliners both installed when the trucks were build.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

2 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Bentz is still in business sleepers and crew cab sleepers for F-liners PAACAR and Navistar. My Maron sleepers are both Bentz, one single wid window and one double like the Superliners both installed when the trucks were build.

Bentz is no longer, Bolt is the new Bentz.

History

Bolt Custom Trucks and Manufacturing carries on the tradition begun by Bentz Transport Products in 1993. Bentz was founded as a manufacturer of after-market sleeper cabs and stainless accessories for medium and heavy-duty trucks. Over the years, the company evolved to focus on the needs of owner operators.  Consequently, the company expanded into custom engineered and manufactured truck sleepers and cab modifications designed to meet customer specifications and unique application requirements.

In 2010 the Bentz product line transitioned to new ownership and became known as Bolt Custom Trucks and Manufacturing.  Bolt continued the tradition of manufacturing premier Custom Integrated Sleepers.

In 2013, Bolt was restructured and purchased by Brian Callan, who leads the Bolt team as President and CEO. Expanded strategic operating and marketing processes are being installed in order to execute our business plan for increasing product innovation while maintaining a commitment to superior quality.  We will meet and exceed our customer’s expectations for the ultimate in sleeper comfort and productivity.

Contact us with your unique truck sleeper design and engineering specifications to make your life on the road the ultimate in comfort and success.

• Like 1

Bentz is no longer, Bolt is the new Bentz.

What confused me is Bentz /Integrity is doing crew cab sleepers that are Bentz custom designed. Was looking at a 2016 Peter with the crew cab sleeper recently.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

2 hours ago, 41chevy said:

What confused me is Bentz /Integrity is doing crew cab sleepers that are Bentz custom designed. Was looking at a 2016 Peter with the crew cab sleeper recently.

If you're referring to Integrity Sales & Svc in Ft Wayne, IN.  It's my understanding that they went out of business a few years ago.  They were a customer of mine several years ago when I was selling parts at the local KW dealership where my friend, Shawn, still works. A Few weeks ago he and I were talking about crew cab class 6 trucks and I mentioned them which is when he told me they had gone out of business.  He, personally, does a lot with Bolt as he has been in their parts dept for decades.

21 hours ago, Terry T said:

If you're referring to Integrity Sales & Svc in Ft Wayne, IN.  It's my understanding that they went out of business a few years ago.  They were a customer of mine several years ago when I was selling parts at the local KW dealership where my friend, Shawn, still works. A Few weeks ago he and I were talking about crew cab class 6 trucks and I mentioned them which is when he told me they had gone out of business.  He, personally, does a lot with Bolt as he has been in their parts dept for decades.

What have I the kiss of death?:pat:

• Haha 1

P.T.CHESHIRE