Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WhiteGold#2

Bentz sleeper

11 posts in this topic

So I bought this sleeper on Christmas eve for on my superliner, thought it looked like the ones on the liberty editions, but I see now they have 2 windows up top. Also, after further research (after I bought it of course) I see that a sleeper on a superliner from factory has the corners cut out for the exhaust. I think I have an idea for that when installed tho. My question is, how should I got about installing this? I didn't measure the opening on the sleeper, but it's more like our Kenworth with a flattop, not an upside down triangle like a Mack hole. Should I cut a square hole in the cab to match? Or "fill" the opening of the sleeper to a Mack style opening? Do I need to brace the cab after cutting it open or is it okay being an all steel cab? was planning on using that accordion tube as a gasket. Thanks for any  help or advice in advance.

Screenshot_2017-01-02-21-09-37.png

Dang, my eyes lit up when I saw Bentz sleeper.  I'm trying to fix my boo boo from a couple years ago and hope to maybe find another bunk to just replace it.  Mine has the tapered front corners.

Can't offer much assistance as for cutting the truck to fit.  When I did my B model I cut it out to match the bracing on the back of the cab and adjusted the bunk to match.  I then cut and adjusted the original boot to fit.  No problems, never a leak.  Then I had to go bang it up....ugh.

Just my inexperienced opinion is it would prob be better/easier to make the bunk match the cab.       If you modify the back of the cab you won't have factory style interior peices to match anymore. The front of the bunk could have a large peice of aluminum plate bolted/rivited put on the front to make the ne opening.  it would be hid behind stacks and inbetween bunk and cab out of sight.        There is a guy on here in the process of putting a KW on his superliner I believe.   I'm horrible with names but pretty sure it's AZ something or another.   

Edited by Hobert62

Thanks for the advice. freighttrain, you would probably be jealous if you knew what I (think anyhow) stole this for.

Hobert, I believe that is what this sleeper came from. I tried searching the forums but no luck, most likely operator error. But that makes sense. Interior will be getting a makeover also in this process.

I think it looks good on the Ford leave it there

1 person likes this

My wife was scared we were gonna hit  bridges on the way home with it haha.

Sorry,   I kinda said it misleading.   I don't think he has a post on how he's putting the KW sleeper on his truck.  He has just mentioned it in the past and had a pic of it sitting on the frame behind the cab.  

Bentz sleepers where built in Ft Wayne, IN. The vast majority of them went onto Internationals.  The company I worked for leased 3 tractors to Bentz to haul the sleepers from Ft Wayne to Springfield, OH.  The 1st was a GMC General which they updated twice with custom bunks to use at shows when not running to Springfield. This was replaced with an International after a few years also with a custom Bentz bunk. The other two were International 9700's. Bentz went through a few changes over the years and some of old Bentz can now be found at Bolt Custom Trucks & Manufacturing.

Bentz did build for the aftermarket as well but like I said the vast majority went onto IHC trucks so if you find one cut for another manufacture you have something unusual.

1 person likes this

Thanks for that little bit of history. Did not know that.

Oh cool deal. I want to get working on mine soon. We're gonna do all the work ourselves also. First thing tho is it's too damn cold to be playing outside with trucks. Second is well... $$$

1 person likes this