Pictures of the Week

other dog

Love the T-short fashioned on!

How heavy was that big coil you put in the middle of the trailer.

It seems to me to get it transported safer if put right close to the deck drop area.

This might be a stupid question since I'm not a trucker but I'd like to lean more of such matters.

Thanks for the first 2017 pics issue!

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

It seems to me to get it transported safer if put right close to the deck drop area.
This might be a stupid question since I'm not a trucker but I'd like to lean more of such matters.

Vlad, the placement of a single coil on the trailer has to do with weight distribution on the axles. With a spread axle trailer, the load can be moved back as the trailer axles can carry higher weight. 34,000lb. on a close tandem as on the drive axle in the picture, and a 10' spread axle as on OD's trailer is allowed 40,000lb. in most states.
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

Happy New Year Vlad! That big coil was aluminum cable, it only weighed about 25,000 lbs. I probably would have been ok loading it all the way to the front, but I put it in coil racks where it says "load single coil here" on the frame of the trailer.

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Enjoyed the pictures. Another stupid question. You chained the coil around the the round the spacers not the stake pockets. Is this better ?  Not being a trucker when I have a chained load someone  usually gives advise on a better way to secure the chains to the trailer It seems to be different each time. Your thoughts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, other dog said:

hot1535650ot.jpg 

That's a Real nice Quadbox shifting Diagram, good easy read placement!! I might get blinded looking into those high beam head light just below the Diagram for more than a second. Might even get distracted and blow a shift if I didn't know how to feel them gears in....

Edited by AZB755V8
spelling
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, eddeere said:

Enjoyed the pictures. Another stupid question. You chained the coil around the the round the spacers not the stake pockets. Is this better ?  Not being a trucker when I have a chained load someone  usually gives advise on a better way to secure the chains to the trailer It seems to be different each time. Your thoughts.

I've read that the strongest securement point on an aluminum trailer is the spools, on a steel trailer it's the stake pockets. On the flatbed I usually pull i've bent and/or ripped several of the stake pockets by chaining to them, but sometimes you need a chain to be in a particular place and it might be at a stake pocket, otherwise i'll go around the spool with the chain and hook the chain back to itself, never had any issues doing that.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I pulled an aluminum 50 ft drop deck but it was a hotshot with 12000 rated axles pulled buy a mh mack s/a tractor. When I used chains I went on the rounds as aluminum Isnt as strong in shear as steel,and the hooks could slice thru the stake pockets,but I was running much lighter than OD! When I hauled steel on a steel trailer before deregulation up to 73000 I put the chain around the stake pocket and hooked It on itself therefore spreading out the strain on the pocket! I've seen guys put the chain around the pocket and hook it on the top of the pocket,never liked that approach, but if the freight is light I guess it's ok! The way OD looped the chain around the big spindle is standard procedure on they kind of load! Before deregulation any single coil over 40000was a "permit load" no matter what you're gross was! There were a lot of coil haulers in the steel valley before and after deregulation running s/a gas jobs and three axle spread trailers to save weight the rates were really high!

• Like 1

Used to be a place called Washington Steel( you guessed it in Washington PA!) You had to back down a tunnel and around a blind turn if you loaded your coils conventional or "shot gun" but if you loaded " suicide" like Ods single coil the forklift would unload you outside...tough call😧

Thanks for your recent pictures of Cowpens..I have not been by there recently.. Gibson's had looked closed, nothing around, for about the last 5 years and the brush grown up to where you could not see the bone yard. The father Lee passed away about a year ago. This past fall the son and daughter showed up at our show in Dacusville SC and then at Lincolnton NC with 2 trucks. Hopefully they have settled things and are back in business??

Brocky

the only time i use the stake pockets is if i am using straps with the 3 inch wide strap ends. if the straps have hook style ends or using chains, they always get wrapped around the spindle. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..