2018 test truck?????

My boss saw one at a Mack meeting a few weeks ago, He didn't take any pictures though.  At my Mack school last week on the common rail engine. they told us the next big step will be fuel milage requirments.  more areo stuff and low resistance tires, the 2 speed water pump, clutched air compressor and lots of wind tunnel testing stuff. 

I was told 6 months ago by a Mack bigwig that crossed over to the Volvo office that the cab would remain the same size as requested by alot of big customers. that and I'm sure Volvo would save some money doing so.  he also mentioned the interior ceiling would be now open like a volvo with a new bunk.  guess he wasn't far off.  the hood looks like it may have some add on pieces above the fenders to throw us off a bit.  we will have to wait and see the final product.

I've been assuming for some time that the next Mack conventional would be based on the new Volvo cabovers, with a bulldog on the hood and maybe an M shaped grill to distinguish it from Volvo brand conventionals. If they're just doing a refresh of the old cab, that suggests that Volvo is thinking of killing off or selling off Mack and doesn't want to invest much in a new conventional...

On 12/16/2016 at 9:46 AM, Yoos Brothers Construction said:

Peterbilt still makes a 379. Kenworth still makes the W900. I think the 2018 Mack test truck should look more like this!!!

I think the sales would be great. Who agrees with me? 

101_5682.JPG

I agree with you-but how many "new guys" will?  test will be how the old 300 series Petes for example sell vs. the "aero 500" series do.

1 hour ago, Red Horse said:

I agree with you-but how many "new guys" will?  test will be how the old 300 series Petes for example sell vs. the "aero 500" series do.

Alot of the problem now is epa fuel mileage standards coming into play Soon. I also think the old Peterbilt an  kw cabs are on their way out . unless trump throws these new regulations out its gonna be difficult to make a old school looking truck . mack currently  offers chu rawhide and Titan that are nice looking trucks but you can't satisfy everyone .  

Edited by logtruckman

Headlight lenses/signal lenses are different(separate instead of one piece). Side vents look like they are changed(kind of on a 45 deg angle). May bee Volvo isn't giving Mack a new cab because Volvo isn't getting one either. They may feel the Volvo cab is still competitive. If they were going to kill off Mack I don't think they would put money into hood changes. If they were to sell Mack they might want to doctor up the aerodynamics to sweeten the sale price.

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

IMHO the new 567 set forward is a classy looking truck, a suitable replacement for the 389. Not that I am shopping for a new truck.

In person, they're very plastic looking and Freightlinerish with chromed over plastic. At least they're giving an effort at a large hood yet. 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2016 at 11:30 AM, logtruckman said:

Alot of the problem now is epa fuel mileage standards coming into play Soon. I also think the old Peterbilt an  kw cabs are on their way out . unless trump throws these new regulations out its gonna be difficult to make a old school looking truck . mack currently  offers chu rawhide and Titan that are nice looking trucks but you can't satisfy everyone .  

as much R&D that truck and engine manf. have put into meeting 2017 regs  it would be a real kick in the pants and step backwards if that would happen.   Fuel milleage regs. avg. the whole  production that's how  classics have made it this far and will continue on you will be paying extra due to a fuel guzzler tax like on a  muscle car.    But it is the final nail in Glider Kits coffin

No doubt everyone wants better fuEl mileage. But epa regs back in the early 2000s actually made mpg worse with egr and then the dpf,it's only been the last few years where mpg gains have been made again but there's the added cost of def. I know alot of fleet owners that would tell you that older pre 04 engines get just as good or better mpg as these new ones. Easily we could have these newer engines minus the egr and dpf and get better fuel economy without adding more expensive parts . As far as classic styled trucks yes there's still a big market but it is shrinking Paccar will keep making classic trucks but I do think the older cabs will go away and the trucks will look more like the freightliner Coronado with slightly sloped nose and no outside air cleaners but retain the set forward axle,maybe I'm wrong AND they'll make the old cabs for another 25 years.  In reality it doesn't matter as self driving trucks are going to take over and they'll all look the same no need to stand out in the crowd then 

Edited by logtruckman
  • Like 1