Driving in rain or fog without lights on!

BillyT

As you all know I've been known to use some colorful language but this subject makes me almost speechless with anger! It was very foggy this morning in Hernando County Florida! The visibility on hwy 19 was less than 1/8 of a mile! I was taking my grandchildren to school (less than 3mile!) And I counted 8 cars without their headlights on! 2 were actually at the school presumably delivering their most precious possessions to school!! I observed 2 more after dropping the kids off on school property! I pulled onto hwy 19 " flat on the mat" and watching my mirrors, prepared to "hit the shoulder" if some moron came out of the fog bank with no lights! I flashed my lights at each one and was regarded with quizzical expressions (like I had two heads) I also threw up my hands when on the 2 lane to the house same results! I know I'm " preaching to the choir " with you folks as you're professional drivers! Some of the diverse morons I've observed were a white haired dude about 50 (dropping off his grandkids) and several thirtyish and fortyish mothers and dads dropping of their kids! The vast majority of those who had their headlights on had drls (daytime running lights) as evidenced by their taillights being off! I'm fairly sure in court if they got nailed in the rear the poor bastard who hit them would be blamed (they had their headlights on right) In Florida statute 3.316.217 states during any rain,smoke,or fog your lights must be on.The general rule "wipers on ,lights on" is supposed to apply, but we can all see the potential loopholes that apply here! The whole thing amounts to that rarest of all commodities, common sense! I can almost guarantee that if you or a cop confronted these people they would be either surprised or indignant or both! "What do you mean I'm doing something unsafe?" By the way hwy 19 has a 60mph speed limit an all of the aforementioned morons were doing that or more! Comments please!

2 hours ago, BillyT said:

The original definition of " moron" was a person with an IQ of 51 to 70 , but in modern times the term retarded was often used,until political correctness removed all terms with the slightest negative connotations from our vocabulary!

Hey Billy, I use that term and more each day. I see those kinds of people where I live and work also.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BillyT said:

As you all know I've been known to use some colorful language but this subject makes me almost speechless with anger! It was very foggy this morning in Hernando County Florida! The visibility on hwy 19 was less than 1/8 of a mile! I was taking my grandchildren to school (less than 3mile!) And I counted 8 cars without their headlights on! 2 were actually at the school presumably delivering their most precious possessions to school!! I observed 2 more after dropping the kids off on school property! I pulled onto hwy 19 " flat on the mat" and watching my mirrors, prepared to "hit the shoulder" if some moron came out of the fog bank with no lights! I flashed my lights at each one and was regarded with quizzical expressions (like I had two heads) I also threw up my hands when on the 2 lane to the house same results! I know I'm " preaching to the choir " with you folks as you're professional drivers! Some of the diverse morons I've observed were a white haired dude about 50 (dropping off his grandkids) and several thirtyish and fortyish mothers and dads dropping of their kids! The vast majority of those who had their headlights on had drls (daytime running lights) as evidenced by their taillights being off! I'm fairly sure in court if they got nailed in the rear the poor bastard who hit them would be blamed (they had their headlights on right) In Florida statute 3.316.217 states during any rain,smoke,or fog your lights must be on.The general rule "wipers on ,lights on" is supposed to apply, but we can all see the potential loopholes that apply here! The whole thing amounts to that rarest of all commodities, common sense! I can almost guarantee that if you or a cop confronted these people they would be either surprised or indignant or both! "What do you mean I'm doing something unsafe?" By the way hwy 19 has a 60mph speed limit an all of the aforementioned morons were doing that or more! Comments please!

Billy, I am like you. It really makes me mad. I am sure these morons think to themselves that they do not need lights because they can see just fine. (If they think at all.) They do not realize that them being able to see is only half the problem.

maybe its just me but I have noticed that cars that are either charcoal, gray, silver or golden bronze in color are most likely to drive with out the lights on ! they are also the same color to match the road surface or the horizon during poor weather, and now that every thing is colored plastic you can't see a chrome grill or bumper to help highlight the car.  if only we could show them a picture of how the vehicle blends into its surroundings  maybe they would decide being seen could save their life.      

Thanks guys for all your responses! I was on Google looking for the fine for no lights in the fog and discovered this motorist bitching about getting a ticket for no lights in the rain in California called the cop a clown! Said she was only going 400 yards from wal mart to some other store wondered how she could get her fine reduced, thought it should be 20 bucks! No imbecile it should be 500.00 first offense and 30 days loss of license!

3 hours ago, gearhead204 said:

maybe its just me but I have noticed that cars that are either charcoal, gray, silver or golden bronze in color are most likely to drive with out the lights on ! they are also the same color to match the road surface or the horizon during poor weather

No it's not just you gearhead, l've been noticing it for some time. When the wife and l are out and see a car coming without lights on we bet as to what color it is. NH tried to pass the "Wipers on Lights on" law last year but it failed as not being needed. Hippy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

When I get in my Semi the lights are turned on and don't get turned off until my post trip is done. 

Rain or shine with me.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

In Canada all new vehicles for many years have drl... however, a recent trend from car manufacturers is to illuminate the dash at night regardless of the lamp switch being off...

so... we have a car driven at 5am with drl and dash light on.... but no tail lights

why did the manufacturers induce this problem?.... an ergonomic design fail..!!!  they sold 'automatic' lights but failed to tell the owner to turn them on...lol

I have a 2010 F150 with drl, I have to turn my lights on to get my dash lights, if I drive off without my lights on it is soon obvious to me as the dash is dark as is the radio facia...

another thing.... a rant is developing.... when I get up behind these bozos and flash my lights they get all aggressive, or even jamb on the brakes thinking I'm a cop car..!!!!  I thought the international driver's code book said.... someone flashes you in the dark means your lights are off..!!!!

rant off... but if you want to get me going again let's talk about pedestrians and crosswalk signals..!!!

can't fix stupid I suppose

BC Mack

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BC Mack said:

In Canada all new vehicles for many years have drl... however, a recent trend from car manufacturers is to illuminate the dash at night regardless of the lamp switch being off...

so... we have a car driven at 5am with drl and dash light on.... but no tail lights

why did the manufacturers induce this problem?.... an ergonomic design fail..!!!  they sold 'automatic' lights but failed to tell the owner to turn them on...lol

I have a 2010 F150 with drl, I have to turn my lights on to get my dash lights, if I drive off without my lights on it is soon obvious to me as the dash is dark as is the radio facia...

someone flaanother thing.... a rant is developing.... when I get up behind these bozos and flash my lights they get all aggressive, or even jamb on the brakes thinking I'm a cop car..!!!!  I thought the international driver's code book said.... shes you in the dark means your lights are off..!!!!

ltalk about pedestriansand crosswalk signals..!!!rant off... but if you want to get me going again et's

BC Mack

3 hours ago, BC Mack said:

someone flaanother thing.... a rant is developing.... when I get up behind these bozos and flash my lights they get all aggressive, or even jamb on the brakes thinking I'm a cop car..!!!!  I thought the international driver's code book said.... shes you in the dark means your lights are off..!!!!

ltalk about pedestriansand crosswalk signals..!!!rant off... but if you want to get me going again et's

BC Mack

the damn pedestrians drive me nuts ! as I live in a small town. no lights just marked cross walks. they walk across talking on their phone or texting staring at their feet and then stammer around not indicating what way they are going next! so just as you get a break in traffic and start to move they decide to start crossing in front of you .......then look at you like you are the problem. it used to be a person would look at the driver of the first car in the lane you were crossing to make sure they acknowledge you, then proceeded to cross, not anymore! you have to guess what the f____k these idiots are doing. I guess they don't watch the news either or they would know how many of their type get flattened every day! 

I find it is all about MONEY. The state sold them a license to drive, and at some time in their life they get tickets to pay a fine for that license to drive and do stupid crap. Look at the cell phone situation now. I wish I could invent something for people to do stupid things with. I bought a new suv this past July. Ok, it has a devise that i'm not familiar with that is like looking at a TV screen in the center of my dash. That devise is one more distraction for people to do stupid crap, like run into someone or off the road. What comes next. We pay the price for convenience. Now in Nashville, they have painted markings, some are too close together but never the less people will walk across the street with their cell phones, not noticing a car coming, people not use to seeing these markings every few feet from each other and get some close calls. More stupid crap we pay for, out of being taxed. And yes we have many stupid people in Nashville. My question is why do you want to move to Tennessee when we have those same stupid people here?