Pushing Coolant

TimberJack

Get one thing fixed and something else happens. 2004 CH started pushing coolant again. Had this problem 3 or 4 months ago and ended up being EGR cooler was cracked. So I did a pressure test on the cooler and it was good. I moved on and replaced radiator cap, still doing it. I capped off coolant lines going to air compressor and it's still building pressure. You can remove the cap off the tank and throttle the engine up and it will push the coolant out of the tank. I have replaced the 2 piece tank to the one solid tank. This truck is going to be the death of me. 

• Like 1

Check screen in lower radiator "Y" pipe,  make sure 16 pound radiator cap, pull water pump and do pressure test  through weep hole. Make sure small hose from surge tank to upper radiator hose is not blocked.  The new 180/185 degree thermostat combo. There should be lots of threads on here with the service bullietins attached for coolant push , head gaskets are rare for this engines but do happen. With the one piece surge tank, fill to edge of fill tube (about 4" down) cold. Test drive and run for a day, if the low coolant  alarm ( both lighting bolt and shut down light at same time) doesn't come on it's ok for now.   Even with a perfect system, if your run it with the cap off it will push coolant  out and people freak out. 

Sorry double post!  Been hanging out at an Irish pub to late , down by the Mack school in Atlanta tonight! Check screen in lower radiator "Y" pipe,  make sure 16 pound radiator cap, pull water pump and do pressure test  through weep hole. Make sure small hose from surge tank to upper radiator hose is not blocked.  The new 180/185 degree thermostat combo. There should be lots of threads on here with the service bullietins attached for coolant push , head gaskets are rare for this engines but do happen. With the one piece surge tank, fill to edge of fill tube (about 4" down) cold. Test drive and run for a day, if the low coolant  alarm ( both lighting bolt and shut down light at same time) doesn't come on it's ok for now.   Even with a perfect system, if your run it with the cap off it will push coolant  out and people freak out. 

Edited by Mackpro

Lol yeah I understand I'm not to far from Atlanta and Spent to much time in those pubs myself. I just replaced the Y looking hose going to the oil cooler and mine didn't have a screen in it. I pressure checked the coolant system and found a few cold water leaks, once I fixed those the system didn't leak down. I just installed a new cap and going to pull some water out of the tank. 

Timber Jack I don't know how to search the archives to find the threads but I'll tell you how I cured the identical problem on a 2004 460 that I bought new.

At about 150,000 miles it started puking coolant like yours is doing.  I replaced screens, thermostats, and even the radiator and all hoses to no avail.  Problem got worse instead of better. I fought it 2 years or so.

In desperation for my last shot I went to the bone yard and got a large capacity single compartment aluminum reservoir tank and replaced the original 2 tank Mack set up.

I only fill the reservoir to half full and replaced the radiator cap with a 10 pound cap instead of the 16 pound that was recommended.

Over 1 millions miles later he has never puked coolant again after the switched reservoir.

The stories should be archived here written by JerryB and begun.

• Like 1