Feedback Request - '69 358 "RollBrock"

All -

Long-time lurker here.  On and off I've been looking for a decent single-axle diesel with a longer wheelbase and flat bed.  Lo and behold there is a '69 358 Brockway rollback for sale outside of Binghamton, NY that I am interested in purchasing and keeping as an antique here in PA (north of Phila).  Owner is asking $12K.  We've spoken on the phone, seems like a knowledgeable guy; this is his 20th Brockway, bought his first at age 13. He has done a lot of work on the truck and has two other truck projects going right now. 

Some details - Single-axle Brockway 358, Nh230 cummins, 5 speed with air shift 2 speed rear. Recently painted, fiberglass fenders, currently licensed and inspected. Maxis, tubeless rubber, can do up to 65 mph flat out in high range. 22' rollback bed, everything works according to the owner.  Interior partially restored (dashboard and seats done - door panels need to be finished).  Originally was a tractor, was later lengthened and bed was added; lived on a farm and fell into neglect.  Current owner purchased it and restored it to current condition; he hoped to use it for more towing but just hasn't.  As you can see from the pictures it's no garage queen, but looks like a solid driver.  

This would be my first (and only) big truck.  So before I head up to look at the truck I'm interested in what you guys think of the truck's condition vs. price ($12K as noted above).  Obviously, I will need to visit in-person at some point to get more info, but thought I'd run this info past the group first.  Pictures attached - I have a couple more but these should get things kicked off.

Thanks for your help,
Brad

15209000_672512892926046_1989336887_n.jpg

15056477_668298126680856_1640519990144851666_n.jpg

15218737_672512889592713_1033248581_n.jpg

Price is always a factor of condition and rarity. The 354 is not terribly rare, so it really depends on condition, with the amount of rust being the primary concern since mechanical fixes are usually much easier to accomplish. Go to the Brockway user's group and find someone who is knowledgeable about the 354's and where they typically rust and then check your truck closely in those areas. I'd also find out what, if any, parts are difficult or impossible to find. i.e. The vent window frames for a B look like a small thing until you look for one; I have seen them advertised for hundreds of dollars.

The bottom line is if you like the truck and you can accomplish, or pay for, any needed repairs then go for it. Even if it is a little over budget you will not regret it if you really like the truck.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Brad

Here is a link to this truck on the Brockway Trucks .org website which include some before pictures.

http://www.brockwaytrucks.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5102

Not sure why he is selling?? Maybe finishing his Brockway wrecker?? He had it at Cortland last year so Tom Millard (oldspwr@gmail.com) or Stan Augustine (PM thru Brkwy site) have looked it over and can answer some of your questions about it.

Remember you always ask high.. Offer $9-10K and go from there up to his $12k.

Brocky

• Like 2

Brocky

Wow! Three of my all time favorite trucks pictured here! A 358 Brockway was the first road tractor I ever rode in! Pittsburgh to Chicago with a load of sheet steel,220 Cummins with a 15 speed Eaton "bogie" The driver was the guy who taught me to "split a triplex" when we both drove for a contractor in Florida. The MH is my favorite Cabover of the many different ones I've driven! All things being equal,if I had to choose between a B model to restore or a 358, I'd do  The 358!

• Like 1

Was my first also started riding with my pop 1960 long nose brockway think it was a 220 with was pretty small but I remember him shifting it sometimes they would just hit a button and let his foot off the gas and it would click to the next gear don't know what kind of transmission it was good times man bob

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Was my first also started riding with my pop 1960 long nose brockway think it was a 220 with was pretty small but I remember him shifting it sometimes they would just hit a button and let his foot off the gas and it would click to the next gear don't know what kind of transmission it was good times man bob

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Probably a 2 or 3 speed rear axle to shift like that.