Macks in construction today

My observation is that they are down almost everywhere I travel except the Charleston, SC area. It seems like I see more Western Stars than any other newer truck these days. Lots of Macks in the trash hauling arena, but not as many dumps.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2016 at 8:25 AM, Underdog said:

In NJ/PA area it seems PACCAR is selling a lot of vocational trucks, Pete 567's and KW 680's

I'll disagree.  I only see those trucks running the road as aggregate haulers.  In the Philly heavy highway field, I wanna say at least 80% or more of local trucks are macks.  

On 11/26/2016 at 8:25 AM, Underdog said:

In NJ/PA area it seems PACCAR is selling a lot of vocational trucks, Pete 567's and KW 680's

i agree. in the past 10 years or so most of the large contractors here have switched over from Macks to Kenworth T800's and now the new T880's

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Well one thing I think you have to recognize-at least here in New England-say 25-30 years ago the dealer count was very heavily in Mack's favor.  Today? IMO PACCAR dealers are like all over the place.  To say nothing of F'liner and Volvo dealers.

So from a competition perspective, it is a very different ballgame

And of course, sad to say, the days when a "MACK was a MACK"  are gone.  And also sad to say, a lot of the old timers who built their business with Mack are also gone.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mackey58 said:

Yea every body any more wants cookie cutter p o s trucks

I don't think they want cookie cutter trucks, that's the only option anyone gets nowadays from all manufacturers. They are selling what they want to sell or what the government mandates them to sell not what the customer wants. Def and re-gen wouldn't be a thing if it were up to the customer. All these new trucks are plastic junk throwaways. 10 year lifespan, use them up and throw em in the trash.

well, in the past 10 years Mack trucks have turned sour  taste in a lot of owners.

we had a 99 great truck. the 05 CV713 was a good truck too, but not speced properly for construction with the itty bitty rears. 

one of the guy sthat rents space in the yard has 3 newer Macks, a 2008, a 2011, and a 2014.

all three are nothing but headaches. constantly going into limp mode due to DPF problems 

i went from the 05 granite to an 05 T800. and in the spring the 05 is going down the road and we are getting another T880 because hte boss has heard way too many problems with the new Macks from everyone that has one.

the Kenworth is just a more dependable truck. and cost the same money as a Mack.

hopefully Mack leadership gets their heads out of their asterisks and does something about it before there is no Mack trucks left

no idea. but the 2016 we have has not once had any DEF problems in 22,000 miles. and it has only gone into regen once  so far. 

plus the 550 cummins  with auto trans is averaging close to 8 mpg.

the best Mike can get is 4.5 with the 2011, and that has a 425 and 18 speed. 

A lot of the buying decisions are driven by access to capital- The big companies can get financing and take a tax write off on depreciation, so they buy new and trade before the warranty expires. Us ordinary folks buy used and pay for the truck and big repairs with savings, loans from friends and family, and borrowing on our credit cards.