New fuel tanks for a B model

Well, just had an interesting conversation with the salesman from Cleveland Tank.   Seems you can not order anything "custom" beyond moving a fitting or filler cap.  They can not alter the size or install a step into a tank without getting DOT to certify it.   Nice.  Guess that really throws a monkey wrench in my plans this winter for putting new tanks on the truck.

They offer square tanks with steps, but they are not the correct size for my truck and they can not adjust it, nadda, no how.  You can't have them put a step in a round tank, again, DOT won't allow the change.

On to plan B........or was it C?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Not one nice thing to hear.

If I were you I might order new round tanks from Cleveland and than order some alu weld shop (or tank repair shop?) to weld used B-model steps in them.

As for DOT the way seems to me as to represent the tanks as old original ones. Braking the law, braking the law...

Talking about Cleveland tanks I got a question in my mind for a while.

Can they sell just round aluminium bottoms of 24.5" diameter separately?

I would convert them into complete tanks locally.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I have used Alumitank two times and well pleased with the tanks.They will custom build as i had oil in one end and fuel in the other end.

I recently had this done for my MH tank. The internal baffle was broke out anyway, so I had the local welder split the tank for half hydraulic.

a374a48bc9ad184b9ba425f1fb198be1.jpg

Good advertising for our local parts house, too.

• Like 1

I haven't priced new 50 gal tanks from Watts.  I was really hoping to put round alum tanks on the truck.  I suppose if I could get them to move the filler and sending unit to one end I could have my buddy cut and put a step into it.  If I recall from the call, they want $600 for a 24" dia x 34" long.

I remember Alumitank, but figured since Cleveland is only an hour north of me I could just get them instead of shipping them.

I measured up some late model tanks but they are all 26" or larger and I think they are too big and will hang down too low for my taste.  The stock round tank is what I want to keep some ground clearance.

I may just have my tanks blasted and just paint them again.  Make some new stainless straps to dress it up a little.  I'm just tired of the crusty old tanks I have, though I spray bombed them 14 yrs ago, they are looking a bit rough.  Plus the drivers tank needs some patching(again).

Larry

I did the same with one of my aluminium ones on the R locally. Locally was 700 km from home though :)

They made a new tube but couldn't offer the bottoms of the correct size. So my old ones came back together with the steps, filler neck and the drain pan.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I measured up some tanks from a Sterling at Adelman yard last summer.   They would be about the right length, but after I got home and started measuring I didn't like how low they hung.  They don't look bad on the Sterling, as the cabs are really high and the tanks are mounted at or above the top of frame rail.  With B cab hanging so low I would have to drop the tank down and I started to wonder what it would look like being so low.  I'll have to post the pics from my phone as I don't think I put them on my computer.

Larry

• 3 weeks later...