New dog owner from Wisconsin

JTobin

Hello all,  I've already gotten a ton of great info from reading on this great site!  This last year I fulfilled a dream and purchased a 1965 B-53.  I plan to restore it as a tractor and put it to work pulling toys.   I learned from researching on here it has a 673 C engine and TRQ 7220 quadraplex . 

So far I removed the dump box and am now in the process of replaceing the input shaft seal on the Sheppard powersteering box. Next will be the decision about the brakes, currently has great working wedge brakes ,but the linings thin and would like spring brake for parking.

I'm having trouble posting photos but will work on that for the future.

Thank's !

Edited by JTobin

welcome aboard and have a ball...got a 66 myself but its a DM it also was a dump truck when i got it,,,,i took the dump off,,also....planning on putting a flatbed on it....bob

20160810_201727.thumb.jpg.cd8242ffb7e675

Thanks! I have a big old Tulsa winch I plan to put on it along with a Holland 5th wheel.

I'm trying again with the photo.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Welcome. Sounds like a fun project. What kind of toys do you plan on hauling with it?

Thanks, I have a big wood Chris Craft of the same vintage I plan to pull, and some day the wife wants a 5th wheel camper. I plan to find a old low boy for the boat and would also utilize it for my tractor and my snow plow truck for shows.

All my toys are old, keeps it affordable and I like old stuff!

• 4 weeks later...

Do you know any of the history on this truck? Sure seemed to be a bunch of those (B-53's) around Wis. & Ill.,back in the day. Cool truck! Good luck with it!   Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Do you know any of the history on this truck? Sure seemed to be a bunch of those (B-53's) around Wis. & Ill.,back in the day. Cool truck! Good luck with it!   Al

Hello Al,

Thanks, I was able to determine with the help of the Mack museum that it originally was sold to Eldredge Mack of Peoria IL. And they sold it to Mertel Concrete in IL. Looks like it stayed in IL as a concrete truck till the early 80's and was then sold to a Farm in Indiana.

That's interesting about the B 53's in this area.

Take care

Tobin

Intetesting,Tobin. A friend of mine has one just a couple miles from me. His had been a ready-mix truck also,as most were,then he converted it to a tractor around '87. I almost bought one when I started hauling in the '80's,but one of my MACK mentors  talked me out of it and told me to look for a newer bulldog. He had loved the B's,but told me it was just too old of a truck to keep running every day. I didn't think so. Still thought it would have been cool showing up at a jobsite with a B-53! Champion Concrete of Iron Mountain,Mi. used theirs until 1987! Tews out of Milwaukee ran a bunch of them also. What part of the Badger state do you hale from? The Southern Wis. Chapter-ATHS is a great bunch of folks to get together with. Always a good time.Their meetings take place all over the state. The Beer City Chapter is also great bunch  of old truck lovers.  Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Intetesting,Tobin. A friend of mine has one just a couple miles from me. His had been a ready-mix truck also,as most were,then he converted it to a tractor around '87. I almost bought one when I started hauling in the '80's,but one of my MACK mentors  talked me out of it and told me to look for a newer bulldog. He had loved the B's,but told me it was just too old of a truck to keep running every day. I didn't think so. Still thought it would have been cool showing up at a jobsite with a B-53! Champion Concrete of Iron Mountain,Mi. used theirs until 1987! Tews out of Milwaukee ran a bunch of them also. What part of the Badger state do you hale from? The Southern Wis. Chapter-ATHS is a great bunch of folks to get together with. Always a good time.Their meetings take place all over the state. The Beer City Chapter is also great bunch  of old truck lovers.  Al

Hello Al

Thanks for the info about the ATHS! hope to attend some shows this summer. I live by Janesville, you happen to know of anyone with b model parts for sale in this area?

2 hours ago, JTobin said:

Hello Al

Thanks for the info about the ATHS! hope to attend some shows this summer. I live by Janesville, you happen to know of anyone with b model parts for sale in this area?

Don't know about your area so much. There are a few guys around this area that have some stuff lying around. We're about 45 minutes south of you on Rte. 14.  Al

On 12/15/2016 at 9:02 AM, ranchhopper said:

I still remember those old mertel concrete trucks didn't Algonquin redi mix have some Bs also maybe they were hendricksons I remember in the 60s they had some narrow hood trucks pouring concrete at the neighbors.

I don't remember those outfits,Kevin.  It does seem that every town around here had at least 1 ready-mix plant in it,though. Not a lot of  competition anymore.    Al

That's neat that they are still in business.I see the newer trucks are a off white which is what my trucks Fire wall is yet. I wonder if they had any other color on the old Mack B model trucks?

Forget to mention....It looks alot better rite side up......Looks to be in pretty good shape ....Have a ball...bob

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Thanks Bob! Never good to have a upside down truck.