B-Model Registry

So, I've seen a small handful of threads on BMT referencing the B-Model registry....  Is it no longer hosted/posted on BMT after the site re-design?

I'd hate to see it lost or not available to people.

If it's out there somewhere I'd be glad to get it re-homed and updated in a current version of Excel, and even create/host a website to make it available to all.  I'm no web or programming expert, but I know and have access to people who are that I could work with to get it available again, and I don't think it's THAT expensive to do it....

As the older Macks fade away, it would be nice to have a spot to catalog the old beasts that are still around, and I'm unable to see any other efforts, at least on the web, that are doing this.  And why not registries for Superliners, and ACs, and Ls as well?

Does the Mack Museum keep a record of the inquiries they get for the older trucks that are privately owned?  Seems that most of us that have old rigs have gone to them for info.  Perhaps they already have a database, and would be willing to work with us to combine data and post a list of old trucks, in a manner similar to the list they maintain and post of parts suppliers for the old trucks....

Thoughts?

11 hours ago, j hancock said:

The B registry was actually on a different site.  I don't know what happened but when Fuzzy Buzzard stops in maybe he can update what is going on.

Oh, yeah - it was on oldmacksrus, wasn't it?  I vaguely recall that now.....

Either way, I have a web page set up and ready to go, so if Fuzzy Buzzard has the data, I'll gladly get it up on a site so everyone can see it again, and we can add to it....

Thanks.

I sent Fuzzy Buzzard a PM to see if he has the list and is willing to send it to me to post on its own website (which I already have set up - just need the sheet....)

Barry - I saw a thread that notes that a copy of that may have ended up in your hands at some point, but I'm not sure how far back that was relative to when it would have been updated last....

Mike

So here's the latest update....

I have a hard copy of the list as of 2007.  I've begun to cross it into a new spreadsheet (there are about 2000 trucks listed, so it will take a bit of time. I'm going in order by model number), and I've posted it on a dedicated website that anyone can access.  It's a free site for now, so I don't know if the web crawlers will pick it up right away (or if at all).  We'll see how much interest it gets from people here, and I may upgrade it later, but  for now, if you know of or belong to other forums who might be interested in knowing of its existence, please feel free to post the link.  I will work on it as I have time, and I suspect it will be 2-4 months before the bulk of it is loaded and up to date.

In addition to the spreadsheet , I've put a truck info sheet on the site.  If you have a truck you'd like to add, please fill in the form and send it to me (or just e-mail me all the info - just thought the form might make it easier).  You'll also notice that the original data is a bit skimpy.  So if you're on the list and would like to add more info about your truck, or pictures, please feel free to send me that info.  

Since the list is in spreadsheet form, I can also modify it to reflect any type or amount of info, so if you'd like fields for other things, like, say, if the engine has been updated, we can add that at any time.

One thing I'll do to encourage future continuity is to leave it in spreadsheet form, so you should be able to download the registry to your computer from the site at any time, offering a couple benefits:  1. You can then sort and manipulate the data any way you'd like, depending on what you're looking for.  2. If I get hit by a bus (or, if it has to be that way - a nice Superliner!), or something else happens and I can't do it anymore and the website disappears, there should be any number of people who will have a somewhat recent copy downloaded who could pick up the ball and run with it or pass it on to someone else who will.

So - check out the site, even though it's in the very early stages, and let me know what you think.  And pass the word to anyone you know that has a B-Model.  And if you see one for sale somewhere, and they list the VIN or S/N, feel free to send me the link and I'll add it. Even if we never see the truck again, we'll know when it was last spotted 'in the wild'. (I'll also include trucks that we know have been scrapped, if the S/N is known....)

Here's the link:   macktruckregistries.yolasite.com

Thanks!  Mike

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, j hancock said:

Nice!  Looks like you have hobby this winter.

:-)

I was hoping I'd be able to find it already in spreadsheet format, but no such luck!

No matter - you're right, now I have something do on all the cold, dark nights that will be coming up over the next few months!

I was trying to help out fuzzy buzzard modify the format into a more usable format.  He has shared the list with me maybe 6 months ago.  It is formatted into a word document and there was no good way to pull the data out of it and into a database or excel  without re-typing everything into a new format.  So unfortunately, I didn't have much luck getting it updated.  I am afraid Mack58B42 is on the right track with the manual entry.

20 minutes ago, Reuhlz said:

I was trying to help out fuzzy buzzard modify the format into a more usable format.  He has shared the list with me maybe 6 months ago.  It is formatted into a word document and there was no good way to pull the data out of it and into a database or excel  without re-typing everything into a new format.  So unfortunately, I didn't have much luck getting it updated.  I am afraid Mack58B42 is on the right track with the manual entry.

Thanks!  I'm making fairly good progress, and it's moving along a bit more quickly that I originally thought it might.  What version of the list do you have?  The latest I could get my hands on was 2007, but I understand that the last update may have been around 2012.  If what you have is later than 2007, if you could send it to me, I'll add what was put in after 2007 to the new list....  You could e-mail it to me at jeeprider01@yahoo.com.  If you only have a hard copy, PM me, and I'll get you my address and will send a few bucks to cover postage....

Mike

P.S.: Can I assume your rigs are on the list already? :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, grayhair said:

I think the data entry form has been corrupted.  Some fields  like model and year wont accept digits entry.  Or maybe its just me. 

Thanks for letting me know - I'll check on that....  I semi-tested it before I posted, but not every field, and I also used a "generic" pdf program and not Adobe, as you can't buy Adobe on CD anymore and have to do a subscription.  For the 1 or 2 forms a year that I do, I'm not going to buy a $25/month subscription to their cloud version.  This was my first time with the generic.  Maybe I have to set the fields for digits up a certain way.....

You can also just feel free to pop your data into an e-mail and send it to me that way.  It's jeeprider01@yahoo.com

Thanks!  Mike

35 minutes ago, Mack58B42 said:

Thanks for letting me know - I'll check on that....  I semi-tested it before I posted, but not every field, and I also used a "generic" pdf program and not Adobe, as you can't buy Adobe on CD anymore and have to do a subscription.  For the 1 or 2 forms a year that I do, I'm not going to buy a $25/month subscription to their cloud version.  This was my first time with the generic.  Maybe I have to set the fields for digits up a certain way.....

You can also just feel free to pop your data into an e-mail and send it to me that way.  It's jeeprider01@yahoo.com

Thanks!  Mike

So, I checked that out.  It seems the generic program isn't nearly as user-friendly as the Adobe.  I could fix the number fields, but any field that required numbers and letters were still a problem. So in the meantime, I've replaced it with a Word document that should be easy to add the data to....  Again, thank for pointing that out grayhair....

Mike

Thanks hicrop - no expenses yet, just a lot of time sitting at the computer transferring data.  For now, the website is free, as it maintains the yola name as a form of advertising.  I get a certain amount of storage for free, but it doesn't look like we'll get anywhere close to the limit with the registry(ies).  

The only down side is that I don't think that the web crawlers (like Google) pick up these sponsored sights, so at some point, if enough of us decide that we'd like this registry to be searchable on Google to hopefully attract those looking for B-model info but aren't on BMT, and some people want to chip in, we could look at upgrading to an actual domain name.  Yola would still host it, but their name would drop out of the site name.  Looks like that's only $6.95/month, so it wouldn't take much....

But let's get it done first, lol.  I don't think it's unreasonable to think that I'll have it done my the end of the month.  I think I'm more than halfway at this point....

Mike

Well, now that I just finished saying it should be free for a bit longer, I discovered that while, yes, my file is way under the total storage limit, I'm still limited to the individual file size I can load, and that was 5MB, which I hit yesterday.

So I upgraded for a fee so I can upload a much larger file.  It also let's me use a custom domain.  The old one should still direct to this, but the primary site location will now be http://www.mackb-modelregistry.com

Hopefully, this will get picked up by Google and the other search engines before too long so that if anyone does do a search particularly for the B-Model Registry, they'll get directed to the site.