Gear carnage

dogg rescue

My beloved uncle who could wreck an anvil in a sandbox was driving the superliner and said he heard a noise. I got in it and he'll you didn't even need the parking brake to hold it still. I knew this rear end wasn't healthy because of the amount of metal I drained out of it. It still makes me wonder if his foot slipped off the clutch pedal.

20161029_103449.jpg

I would say that's more than a side steeped clutch pedal !  a dumped clutch pedal will usually result in a tooth or two being ripped out next to each other, if I had to guess that's some wheel hopping!   and or loss of preload thus causing excessive back lash, and improper tooth surface contact!  

Edited by gearhead204
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dogg rescue said:

My beloved uncle who could wreck an anvil in a sandbox was driving the superliner and said he heard a noise. I got in it and he'll you didn't even need the parking brake to hold it still. I knew this rear end wasn't healthy because of the amount of metal I drained out of it. It still makes me wonder if his foot slipped off the clutch pedal.

20161029_103449.jpg

at any rate damn sure don`t look good

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My best guess - One or two of the tooth on the pinion have been spalling (surface fatigue) for quite some time and the noise was ignored. Eventually the spall grew big enough that the tooth broke under load and got into the gear mesh. Once that happens that will take out bunch of tooth (in the mesh) in a jiffy. I have witnessed 10's of failures like these.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2017 at 9:56 PM, dogg rescue said:

One year later, same truck, different driver. He was starting a load on frozen ground, and said he was just letting out the clutch. The pic is of the back of the power divider.

20171108_150206.jpg

This is a different type failure than earlier one. The thru-shaft failure occurs only when extreme amount of torque passes through it during shock loading/clutch dumping type scenario. Mack Power-Divider does a true 50:50 torque split due to unique CAM mechanism and thru-shaft can see more torque than a conventional inter-axle diff on Meritor or Dana axles (in wheel-slip and other scenarios).