My new used B mack

I took the truck for a short drive this morning. I will have to do something about the steering, I have a bad back and it just about did me in. Any ideas about power steering that a person can afford? I have a machine shop and fab shop I can use. Thank you Dave.

I know of a couple  of  B's that were converted to P/S using an R model box. They also had to have the mounting plate fabricated  and had to use the R model steering column & shaft (slip yoke),as the original shaft in a B-61 was solid. It took some engineering, but worked  well from what I was told.    Al 

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Dave if you are interested, I am parting out an MH, you are welcome to any steering parts you may need. It has the pump mounted on the back of the air compressor. Entire front axle with Budd hubs is available.

I'll bet the MH axle is different than the B from center bolt to center bolt.   terry

• Like 2

I used a Garrison hydraulic steering assist that works well. I had to fabricate the axle attaching bracket but other than that it was a bolt on using the original steering box. The pump is driven from the back of the generator. Someone in the past few months had a complete setup for sale. I don't remember where I saw the ad.

I looked under at the spindles an I think this has a Rockwell axel maybe a 12000# looks like one on the freightliner tractors I used to repair. I was talking to my buddy and I don't remember my autocar steering this hard or my white cabover. He said maybe I am over the hill.

I too drove a B with air steering,but mostly on sand and at low speeds,you could feel it kick in,sorta like those old Ford cars with that hydraulic cylinder on the steering linkage! Also drove a single axle B model dump without power steering didn't seem too bad on the road,but I was a lot younger! Style of tire and tire pressure are a factor with ease of steering,also the condition of the steering box.

Jhancock, the truck is that b-42 that was for sale here. it has hub pilot wheels 10-20 tube type . I remember doing early kingpins on r an f's you turned the brass bushing in with visegrips they were prefitted. I had 27 trucks to  keep on the road. Thank you Underdog for your kind offer, I want to look things over a bit. I would like to thank everyone that has replied.

I like my air steering.  I put up with armstrong for 13 yrs,  this is a nice improvement.  Perfect?  No, not by a long shot, but better.  You have to get used to the random "feel" of it.

Years ago I drove a W900 tow truck with air assist steering. I put a tr-1 flipper valve on the supply line so I could shut off the assist. Makes it much more drivable on the highway , then flip on the air for low speed manoeuvering and backing.

• Like 2

I did put a flipper valve on it from stories I've heard.  I turned it off but made so little difference I just leave it on.  Due to the lash(movement in the valve) in the torque valve it always has a touch of looseness but I don't let it bother me.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

If you can catch the episode of Fantomworks on Velocity that shows them doing a Type 75 fire truck you can see how they added power steering to that unit using a pump driven off of the generator. They supposedly purchased a "kit" from someone, but it was basically a cobbled together set of used parts.

I drove fire trucks with air assist steering and I always found them to be an adventure since the steering seemed to be about two seconds behind what I expected. Turn the wheel, wait, then the front wheels turn. I'm sure it wasn't that long, but it sure seemed like it.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I found out today why the truck steered so hard, both tires had 20 lbs#. Way better now. I just took off the 5th wheel if anyone wants it come and get it plus a hydro. pump it will save me hauling to scrapyard. Dave

Dave, what type of pump? A pto off the transmission? I may be interested.

Gregg

Drove a Seagrave 100ft rearmount with air assist steering that literally made you feel like you were rolling the dice on every job we responded to with "expediency". A regular alarm bells or other non event alarm you'd be fine, but if you were wheeling it to a job with active updates coming from the dispatcher it seemed like those extra ten MPH made it unpredictable. One day going through the square when you went to turn the wheel it was silky smooth... the next it felt like you were hand docking a barge with two ropes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

18 hours ago, General Ike said:

the next it felt like you were hand docking a barge with two ropes.

LOL!!!!!    Now that's funny.

Yes, it can be a "undetermined" amount of effort to steer depending on the situation.   I'll keep mine though.  Just my .02.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Also the make and tread design of the tires,Dave can make a difference.If you have a friend who will let you borrow a pair of tires that could let you make a comparison! But 20 lbs! Yep,that would do it! Works both ways.I once had to bobtail from Pittsburgh to Buffalo in a springride R model,dropped the drive tires to 50 lbs,made a big difference!

I took it up the road to my buddy's house an it steered good enough i'm not bothering to go the powersteering route. I have been busy changing fuel lines and I changed the primer pump got a new one from Dunmore injection for 22.00 bucks. Found an air seat at boots and hanks truck junkyard that will fit so I can see more than just the top of the hood. If I can figure out how to put pictures on here I will I only have a digital camera.

Dave

Once you have downloaded your camera onto your computer, at the bottom of the reply box click on the "Choose Files" link which will take you to your photo library, highlight the picture, click on "open". After it loads below the reply box click on the + sign in the picture.. Fairly simple, just play with it!!

Brocky