Oil change intervals

Just read an article in Land Line magazine maintenance Q&A section  about a father and son restoring 1982 Peterbilt with a Cummings 400 big cam. Their question was on oil and drain intervals. The truck was only to be used in parades and shows. They were advised with  C J-4  to change every six months with synthetic once a year due to oxidation and sludge. I wonder if you only put a few hundred miles on an engine with limited idle time is this necessary ? 

I think if you use Dino oil once a year.  Fake oil  I would go by hours. The Army has tactical vehicles that go a full year with minimal excersize and the change by the oil sample or 1 year.  Dino oil.  I don't remember synthetic oil in the trucks but I am sure some vendor has talked the DoD into a contract to use it by now.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Being a retired "oil expert", I recommend taking a yearly oil sample.  That will determine if and when you need to change the oil.  Something to consider, if the truck is only used for parades, short trips, etc. the engine and oil do not get hot enough for long enough time to drive off moisture and other contaminants.  I must admit the oil/filters in my MH were changed in May 2012 and still running without an oil change (about 7K miles).  However, when I run the MH to shows, it is for several hours so the engine/oil do get hot.  When it comes out of winter "hibernation" in 2017, O/F change is scheduled.  BTW, currently has Chevron Delo 15W-40 but will get Shell Rotella T 15W-40 in the spring.  Personally I am not a believer in using synthetic engine oil unless there is a valid reason why you need it (cold and extremely hot operating environment for example).  I do however recommend synthetic lube for transmission and rear axles.  Bottomline...used oil analysis is your friend.  Just my 2 cents.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

9 minutes ago, j hancock said:

Hi Ken, Any particular reason for the Delo to Rotella change?

When I changed the oil in 2012 I had access to Chevron at my friend's farm in OH and it was "priced right".  Personally I prefer Rotella but I think either one is a good oil.

Ken

The oil sample or analysis makes good sense. When I buy a used tractor,  truck, or backhoe I change the oil and send a sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis. It gives you a good idea on the condition of the engine. Unless you change the oil it is sometimes hard to get a good sample.

42 minutes ago, eddeere said:

The oil sample or analysis makes good sense. When I buy a used tractor,  truck, or backhoe I change the oil and send a sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis. It gives you a good idea on the condition of the engine. Unless you change the oil it is sometimes hard to get a good sample.

"Back in the day" I had fleets use a vampire/suction pump and clean tubing if not at an oil change.  The sample bottle attached to the pump and the UO was drawn into the bottle with the pump.  You need two (2) bottles, one to purge the line (about 1/2 bottle) and the second (clean/new) for the actual sample.  Remember to use the tubing only ONCE and then trash.

Ken