475 Cummins Twin Turbo

Looking at a Superliner with an MVT 475 engine from the factory that has since been downgraded to a 400 big cam 3.  I'm not very familiar with the 475.  I know it was twin-turbo and had some sort of variable valve timing.  I get the impression it was a pretty big horse in its day.  Sure never seen one in a Superliner.  Has anyone else?  I'm thinking this was a rare engine for a Mack.  Can anyone shed any light on the MVT 475 engine?  Or, more importantly, how it differed from the BC3 400 that it has been converted to?  What's required to convert one?  From what I've read, it sounds like it was a fairly common conversion.  I know they made a bazillion 400 Cummins so I presume that's a good engine to have.  Any opinions?    

that engine was a real ass kicker when every thing was working right. i have tuned a few of them up in the past but has been a long time ago i still have some info on them stored away . to change one back required removing the mechanical variable timing setup along with injectors and doing away with one of the turbos im` thinking the cam timing had to be changed also

Most were changed over during rebuilds, I recall they were hard on cams, poor fuel economy and hard starting when it got cold out.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

40 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

Most were changed over during rebuilds, I recall they were hard on cams, poor fuel economy and hard starting when it got cold out.

Would those traits still be true of one converted to an BC3 400?  Still hard cold starting and poor MPGs?

16 hours ago, sodly said:

Would those traits still be true of one converted to an BC3 400?  Still hard cold starting and poor MPGs?

No. The Variable cam timing being eliminated and the lower fuel pressure make starting cold easier and end the white smoke on cold start and difficulty starting at 40 degrees or below fuel mileage increase and the premature cam wear is eliminated.   Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

So it sounds like the converted BC3 400 should be a good engine, no?  

Has anyone else seen a 475 in a Superliner?  So far I've only ever heard of one other from the factory (but maybe I'm outta touch on this).  And I've never seen one in the flesh.  Anyone have any pics?

4 hours ago, j hancock said:

If this was done by the factory, have the seller of the Superliner give you the door tag info and you will have the code for the engine.

Yes, it is apparently a factory install.  But just to be sure I wanted to make sure the number jibed with the correct number from Mack.  I have no idea which model designation that 475 would've been.  

Yes, he does.  And he told me he works it 12 hours a day!  I would think it's gotta be the only one in existence still in daily use, right?

So was the NTC475 the biggest factory HP you could spec in an RW in 1985?  Wasn't the E9 still at 400 (or 450) back then and the KT at 450 (since you couldn't order the KT600 in the RW from the factory).  Not sure which had the most torque.