Type 75 on Fantomworks

fxfymn

Anybody else catch the episode where they repair the Type 75 for an IL FD? The shop repairs the brakes, rebuilds the pump, adds power steering and re-wires the truck. I always thought this show had the least made up drama of all of the shows of this genre, but now I'm not so sure of that.

There were lots of declaration's of how engine parts were "probably the last on earth" etc. It was an ENF510 and I have a complete engine in my garage, hardly impossible to find parts for. And they made a big deal about jacking it up to re-align the rear axle; something most of us do without even thinking about it. 

The final work looked great, but it makes me wonder why any FD would take a truck to a car shop half a country away to have work done that any competent local truck repair shop could have done.

Total bill: North of $40K 

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

3 hours ago, fxfymn said:

Anybody else catch the episode where they repair the Type 75 for an IL FD? The shop repairs the brakes, rebuilds the pump, adds power steering and re-wires the truck. I always thought this show had the least made up drama of all of the shows of this genre, but now I'm not so sure of that.

There were lots of declaration's of how engine parts were "probably the last on earth" etc. It was an ENF510 and I have a complete engine in my garage, hardly impossible to find parts for. And they made a big deal about jacking it up to re-align the rear axle; something most of us do without even thinking about it. 

The final work looked great, but it makes me wonder why any FD would take a truck to a car shop half a country away to have work done that any competent local truck repair shop could have done.

Total bill: North of $40K 

Saw that show and a few others. Seems to make a big deal out of "searching" for parts that are repro'd or available from a good parts store.  Still some interesting  projects.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Before I retired I never watched a reality show, just read or slept when laid over. Having grown up in a salvage yard and liked street rods my whole life I was elated to hear Chip Foose had a "reality" show...Not! What a bunch of scripted bullshit! The dude is a talented metalworker,painter and designer.I tolerated the pretend to steal the car nonsense as it got worse and worse until he "overhauled" a minivan!! Then I finally realized how the the deal goes down! When I watch an automotive reality show I and I suspect most of you want to see specifics of welding painting,engine specs amperage, type of wire used gun pressures number of coats etc. Those of us who actually weld,paint,turn wrenches etc are probably in the 1percentile of the the population! The whole purpose of a tv show is to reach the demographic that spends money on the advertisers product! Hence the drama! How often does a journeyman mechanic install a crate motor built by a name brand builder and it doesn't start! The drama! How many of you,like myself diagnosed the ( deliberately created problem) before they "found" it? Oh,I forgot to set the timing! Right! I too think Fantomworks is one of the most " real" reality shows.Also Chasing Classic cars, The old mechanic is a howl! The two British dudes on Wheeler dealers put on a good show,and at least you actually see most of the work being done! Admittedly he explains automotive principles most of us are familiar with and shows repairs we've already done, but it's still entertaining.And I get to see some foreign cars I've never worked on. How many journeyman street rod builders (Coddington) would permit all that drama and infighting among employees if he wasn't getting paid for the show? Same with "Fast and Loud" only ten times worse! Admittedly you couldn't build a truck that would pass the Pikes Peak safety inspection if you didn't know your stuff! And you damn sure couldn't run Pikes Peak if you weren't a good "wheel man"! And how many people get to see Marcel Delay hand form a hood! It's almost spiritual! Sorry I do tend to ramble!😁

watched it last night, was totally pissed off at the amount of drama in this last episode. was pretty up on this show and now pretty let down. agree whats the big f'ing deal about a 60 year old motor being covered with oil or the water pump or balancer shot.  really???? come to new England and deal with some rot you freakin pussy.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I agree with the majority of the previous posts----TOO MUCH DRAMA on all of them. The Velocity Show I despise the most is Graveyard Carz, what an egotist that guys is—everybody is stupid but him. I got to meet Ralph from Chasing Classic Cars on Monday and he was a very interesting guy. He ask me what brought us to Ct. from Virginia, told him we had gone to Truck Show in Western Mass. I told him we have a 42’ Mack and he had plenty of questions and told me how he enjoyed working on old trucks. “They are simple and nearly everything can be re-built,” not thrown away like the new things of today. In fact he had to help a guy get an old AC Model running a couple of weeks ago. Magneto problem which he was able to rebuild. 

The one thing the show did for me was make it possible to show the DW that when I'm in the garagemahal I am actually doing something productive, not just screwing off and hiding. I have done almost the same things to the 52, so I guess I saved her $40K. Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Yep, I saw it and I am on same page as the rest of you guys..... Too much Drama

I had actually had seen the truck in some of the previews and was waiting to see how it would play out.  Was glad to see them work on a truck, but I was hoping to see how they solved some of the problems. 

Loved the part where the Fire Chief dropped the "surprise", "oh and I want to re-build the pump too"

George

Careful with that kind of info.  She may be looking to expand her collection of shoes, jewelry, clothes,....

Been married 44 years..way too late for that.

For her 50th I bought her a Mercedes SL560, her dream car. I'm still using the credit for that every time I buy a truck, or a tool, or a tractor, etc.