Coming out of retirement????

I'd grab it in a second!

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Sounds about right money wise and planning if she not on the verge of puking a piston I don't think you need the full 5k in repairs if you do the labor.  Cab mounts are easy and cheap same with the air bag.  Get on pai and look them up they are all available.

• Like 2

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

7 hours ago, thomastractorsvc said:

Sounds about right money wise and planning if she not on the verge of puking a piston I don't think you need the full 5k in repairs if you do the labor.  Cab mounts are easy and cheap same with the air bag.  Get on pai and look them up they are all available.

That's the one thing that bothers me about this whole deal, she may pop a piston. Reason I say that is I drove it for a load and she makes "weird" noises when worked hard. It's got a 300+ in it and speedo says it's got 148,000 on it motor wise. I don't have a ton of money and I'm at the age now that I can't do much work on it, nor do I have the shop to work on it, so my estimate for repairs is just about right. The other factor affecting my thoughts is why has this truck sat for so long.... does he know something I don't maybe???  Not telling me everything??  I don't know.... Anyway, I'm in no real hurry yet as winter is coming on and he'll be parking both truck soon. We're not done talking yet so if there are other issues I'll find out!

5 hours ago, dave41855 said:

That's the one thing that bothers me about this whole deal, she may pop a piston. Reason I say that is I drove it for a load and she makes "weird" noises when worked hard. It's got a 300+ in it and speedo says it's got 148,000 on it motor wise. I don't have a ton of money and I'm at the age now that I can't do much work on it, nor do I have the shop to work on it, so my estimate for repairs is just about right. The other factor affecting my thoughts is why has this truck sat for so long.... does he know something I don't maybe???  Not telling me everything??  I don't know.... Anyway, I'm in no real hurry yet as winter is coming on and he'll be parking both truck soon. We're not done talking yet so if there are other issues I'll find out!

What kind of noise? Sure it's not from the worn turbo? It is a pretty clean Superliner and I would think if worse came to worst you'll be able to get your investment back.  Paul

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 hour ago, blackdog2 said:

If  you don't buy it the guy in the next state over will buy it and sell it for 3-x- more .

It would be a good unit for our 300 acres in Virginia for general land work. 

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

If someone parks a working truck usally it ain't to save the miles.

With that said,  ask him straight up.  You will be able to tell if he is being truthful.  If he really don't know, pull an oil sample and send it in.  

Are you planning on working it or hobby trucking. A worn motor will go a long way in a hobby truck.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

looks like 5k in parts alone! is the floor of the box gone? the sides still look good! and the tractor looks as if it was cared for. and I have to think that the scrap yards are full of 6 cyl. macks on the east coast, I see running take outs advertised out here for 2500 and up out here in a mack poor area.  

4 hours ago, gearhead204 said:

looks like 5k in parts alone! is the floor of the box gone? the sides still look good! and the tractor looks as if it was cared for. and I have to think that the scrap yards are full of 6 cyl. macks on the east coast, I see running take outs advertised out here for 2500 and up out here in a mack poor area.  

The floor in the body is shot. He worked it under a crusher for 2 summers and the 3"- stone coming out didn't help it at all!!  I think overall the truck has been cared for yes. Cab floor, doors, hinges, cab back, all of that is good and solid. Frame rails are single steel and haven't been cut or welded at all. Steering sector is tight as are ball joints and pinions. Tires are about 40-50% I'd say. The turbo has a loud howl to it when you're really pulling hard with it but it's the knocking in it that worries me. It's my intention to use it as both hobby truck and work truck. I have a drop deck lowboy for it, rated at 30 ton, that I intend to "play around" with. Another gent here in town has an old 57 B model he wants to take to parades and shows and that also is what I'd love to do with this one if I get it. Haul his on my trailer. It's time to enjoy life a little and driving an old Mack is how I'd like to do it!! I have to meet with him this coming week anyway so we'll talk turkey then in depth. When I find out more I'll post it here to let you all know what's happnin'!!

Old trucks are like old men; full of creaks, rattles and knocks. Does the knock vary with engine rpm's? Is everything tied down tight enough not to thump?

I'd buy it at that price, or less if you can negotiate, sell the body for scrap, clean it up, and either do an in-frame or run it until it breaks. Being a fire truck guy I don't advocate cutting up fire stuff, but there are a ton of low mileage CF's out there with good engines in the $3-5K range.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 2 weeks later...

Well kids, we pulled the old girl into the shop and started the tear-down. Took off the hood and removed a lot of the small stuff off the motor and stopped there. Yesterday he drained the oil and dropped the pan. Inside the pan was quite a few little chunks of metal. Upon closer inspection, he found the #5 piston itself has begun to break apart and also the connecting rod bearings are toast. Haven't seen the chunks- yet but will today and get some photos. Glad I didn't just dive in whole hog. After we got the hood off and sat back enjoying a good hot cup of coffee, we both started to chuckle. He says "I know where there is a good ENDT866 that would fit in there real sweet like..:-)  Would an 866 be capable to push 525hp out of it???

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dave41855 said:

Well kids, we pulled the old girl into the shop and started the tear-down. After we got the hood off and sat back enjoying a good hot cup of coffee, we both started to chuckle. He says "I know where there is a good ENDT866 that would fit in there real sweet like..:-)  Would an 866 be capable to push 525hp out of it???

The short of it NO. A 865/866 is good for maybe 425hp and that is pushing it. No intercooler but it could be plumbed in to get extra hp with bigger turbo but at the cost of reliability. No parts for those engines, an E9 would be a safer bet. I like both V8's and ,have both running in trucks, but parts and having someone around that know how to work on them is getting harder and harder to find along with parts. It would be really cool to do but not for a work truck. If you do your own work... Maybe   :thumb:

• Like 2

Oh well AZB755V8, it was a thought!!  Anyway, will stick to what the original is. Meanwhile, back in the oilpan, here's what greeted us after we dropped it!!  Nice little mess isn't it! Once we get the pistons out of it and get it fully stripped, we'll be able to tell if the cylinder walls are scored or not and then we'll know just how bad this really is!

Junk in the pan.jpg