Should VW buy Mack?

14 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

Ya I know. I won't win this argument. Everyone is stuck in the past. The Mack of old was king. No doubt about it. But compared to todays trucks and engines, I don't understand why everyone keeps bashing Volvo.

My 2000 E7 was far from reliable and most were problematic until the MP series came along. Volvo also has supplied them with the best automated manual on the market.

You're right too.....I'd also be happy with a Volvo. My friends have them and they have been bulletproof. But I don't get along with the local dealer, so until I change brands again I'm stuck with problematic Western Star and Cummins products, and Detroits that have constant regen issues when loaded light. Surprisingly though the Mexican built Freightliner 122SD's have better build quality than the Portland Star's.

And for Logtruckman I can report two of my friends have Titan self loader log trucks with 605 MP10's also and they pull like trains and have had no issues other than the stainless peeling on the grills and breathers.

Yeah our 13 Titan has the issue of peeling stainless trim. we put in a warranty claim because there's a 5 year corrosion warranty and Mack is currently working on fixing this issue and is gonna give us new grill and breathers when the improved  versions come out . tell your friends to do the same.

Thanks Logtruckman. They did, but whether it was the dealer not going the extra mile, or Mack Canada they only got one thing replaced but not the other.

I think they got the grill covered but not the headlight surrounds or breathers?

The other problem with the breathers is they go overboard on salt and de-icing agents on the roads up here in the winter, and his breathers are rotting out.

The price to replace them is ridiculous up here too. Around 6 grand for the two of them. He looked into getting the Australian stacks, but the cost of shipping made them not worth it. I told him to just make a set of breather stacks, but he doesn't want to lose the pre-filter function of the stockers.