Dealer can't find my truck

I've got a 1991 RD822SX. I called the local Mack dealer (McMahon) today to look up some rear wheel bearings. The parts guy asked for my VIN and when I gave it to him he said it wasn't in the system. Mind you, I submitted my VIN info to the Mack Museum and they sent me the build sheet for the truck and a bunch of other info. I even told the parts guy such and told him I could look at the build sheet and give him the rear axle number but all I got was silence on the phone. He then proceeded to tell my I must be wrong because he had a RD688s in the system that had the same last 6 digits of the VIN. Now anybody that has seen a RD688s and a RD822sx parked side by side would understand they are completely different trucks. Why is it the Mack Museum can find my truck in the system but a dealer can't?

Anyway, I ended up finding the bearings and seals at a local bearing place. I also found out how expensive it is do do a bearing and seal job on 65k axles, about $500 a wheel for just parts.

• Like 1

It takes a smart individual to do parts right. But in today's world, smart people don't want to work in a heavy truck dealer's parts department. It's become a serious problem in the US market, as most of the old school career parts people have now retired.

Call Watts Mack (1-888-304-6225) and identify yourself as a BMT member. They know how to look up your truck with the model and serial number of your truck's vehicle identification plate (RD822SX-1100), and will give you as fair a price as Volvo's pricing schedule permits. 

Whether your truck was built specifically for Operation Desert Storm, or repurchased from one of the dealers to meet the deployment deadline, it's in the Mack parts system.

FYI for new readers:

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/42258-rd822sx/

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/34637-mack-people-and-trucks-tackle-the-eye-of-a-‘storm’/

• Like 2

From the investigation I've done, my truck was actually one of the two used trucks that were deployed. It was ordered and built for a coal company and they did take possession of it but it never did have coal bed added before it ended back up at Mack and deployed to Desert Storm.

I don't have any info as to why the customer traded it back in to Mack. The trail from the Mack Museum goes cold as soon as it was sold at the dealership when it was new. I have not be able to locate any military records for the time of service. The next record that pops up is it's at the TN National Guard and then the Humphreys County Hwy Dept. ,where I bought it at auction.

10 minutes ago, m16ty said:

From the investigation I've done, my truck was actually one of the two used trucks that were deployed. It was ordered and built for a coal company and they did take possession of it but it never did have coal bed added before it ended back up at Mack and deployed to Desert Storm.

I don't have any info as to why the customer traded it back in to Mack. The trail from the Mack Museum goes cold as soon as it was sold at the dealership when it was new. I have not be able to locate any military records for the time of service. The next record that pops up is it's at the TN National Guard and then the Humphreys County Hwy Dept. ,where I bought it at auction.

Because it's an SX, I assumed it was built as a tipper, and then had the wheelbase shortened and a tractor package added for the Desert Storm requirement.

At any rate, you own a real piece of history, and Mack history at that.

I am surprised it was not left in the middle east, so it must have been a lease truck for DS/DS.  Most of the commercial stuff that was bought for the war stayed in theater and ended up in Kuwait.  I saw a lot of commercial OTR Trucks run by the NG units during the war.  Then when I redeployed to Doha Kuwait about a year or so later, my unit ran a bunch of Steel Nose Macks that were probably mixer chassis with fifth wheels set up to pull 100 ton Kaylan low boys in support of the Engineers who were pushing up berms along the entire boarder with Iraq in an attempt to slow down the next invasion.

Years later, I remember hauling equipment to punch holes in it out in the middle of nowhere so we could invade Iraq.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

8 hours ago, br549 said:

My antique machine show's RD822SX001100      VIN 1M2P193Y7FA001100   does it match your VIN?  This one has a 200" wheel base.  It also say Build Date is 4/25l85

Yes, that's it. That's another weird thing about this truck it was built in '85 but is titled as a '91 and it appears to have not been used until '91. Truck was showing 26,000 miles when I got it last year.

Thomas, Yes, my truck was one of those "steel nosed Macks". The truck was originally blue but was painted while before I got it, presumably after it got back state side by the TN National Guard. I have seen one more of these trucks pop up. It was sold on Government Liquidation awhile back in CA I think.  I think there were around 50 trucks total, I have no idea how many made it back. I'd love to find one of those trailers they pulled.

I've got what info the Mack Museum has on the truck and know a little about when the TN National Guard had it but I have zero info of it's time in the military. I'd like to have some military info on it. I even talked to a guy the had access to the military computer files on vehicle inventory dating back to the '80s and there was nothing on my truck that he could find. 

I sent your vin info to Worldwide Equipment in Chattanooga and it came up just fine.

The parts for this axle are really high but American Made Bearings will allow you confer with the local reps like Bowers and get info on how to increase life and ect.

Don't go with NAPA. Go with folks that know trucks and deal with them every day!

• Like 1

I suggest you call Watt's Mack (1-888-304-6225) or Worldwide Equipment in Chattanooga (423-698-4093).

From your experience, it seems the parts people at McMahon Truck Center is challenged in researching your truck (RD822SX-1100).

Worldwide (Chattanooga) is closer. Watt's should give you a BMT discount but the shipping charge will be greater. Your choice.

I ended up getting the bearings and seals at a bearing place in Nashville.

$1,000 per axle for bearings, races, and seals. Would have been a lot cheaper going with import but I went with all US stuff.

Thanks for everybody's help.