Identify 34k, 38k suspension

Timmyb

How do you identify 34k suspension vs 38k? I've pulled my rear end out, My front diff is 38k andmy rear diff is 44k. I assumed the suspension was 38k but guy working on it thinks it's a 34k. 

Is there a way to identify them visually?

I have read elsewhere that 34k used aluminium components, was this strictly the case all th time?

Mine is all steel/iron so is this an indication it may be 38k?

By diffs I meant rear housing is cast and front housing is fabricated. 

• 2 weeks later...

There's also difference in rear hubs. At least the ones with 8 stud shaft flanges exist (small flanges) and the six stud larger flanges. With different bearing inside.

I supposed to see big hubs with cast banjo's and small ones with stamped steel (fabricated). But recently found on at least two RD690's fabricated banjo housings with big 6 stud hubs.

And if the difference between 34K and 38K is springs only how to determine it for an air ride?

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Vlad, you're right. I was told 34k diffs use a 5 spoke hub and 8 bolts on axle. 

Same guy told me 38k use 6 spoke hub and 6 bolts for axles, but I've seen 6 spoke hubs with 8 bolts in axle. 

I've found part numbers for 38k springs in this conversation here-

Also, the narrow part of the housing that goes to wheels is a bit different. 34k is round and 38k is more squared (so I was told).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vladislav said:

There's also difference in rear hubs. At least the ones with 8 stud shaft flanges exist (small flanges) and the six stud larger flanges. With different bearing inside.

I supposed to see big hubs with cast banjo's and small ones with stamped steel (fabricated). But recently found on at least two RD690's fabricated banjo housings with big 6 stud hubs.

And if the difference between 34K and 38K is springs only how to determine it for an air ride?

A full 44 rear used to be the cast housings and six spoke hub, a 38 is the fabricated housing with the five spoke hub, and the only difference in a 34 and 38 were the number and thickness of the springs.   terry

On 20.10.2016 at 3:09 AM, terry said:

A full 44 rear used to be the cast housings and six spoke hub, a 38 is the fabricated housing with the five spoke hub, and the only difference in a 34 and 38 were the number and thickness of the springs.   terry

Thank you for explaining that.

Sounds easy to figure out and keep in mind.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 2 weeks later...