Searching for Seals

Look for a set of numbers on the metal part of the seal, it will give the parts store a cross reference number for NAPA or a National Seal P/N.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 hour ago, 41chevy said:

Look for a set of numbers on the metal part of the seal, it will give the parts store a cross reference number for NAPA or a National Seal P/N.

I have done that with no luck yet. I haven't done an extensive search yet with the likes of NAPA or Car Quest .

It is stamped with C/R and then the number. C/R is Chicago Rawhide I found out. They are unable to cross reference the number.

I'll keep searching though.

I got seals for my A model and L model fire trucks from Associated truck parts.  They had not problem getting them.  I took in the old which had leather in them and they crossmatched them.  I don't know if they are a local chain or if they are in your area.  Mike

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Willie dog said:

I have done that with no luck yet. I haven't done an extensive search yet with the likes of NAPA or Car Quest .

It is stamped with C/R and then the number. C/R is Chicago Rawhide I found out. They are unable to cross reference the number.

I'll keep searching though.

https://www.daltonbearing.com/brand/chicago-rawhide

http://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/popup_parts_lookup_457012.htm

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Most seal numbers are the same across all manufacturers. Here is a cross reference for CR, which is now SKF.

http://www.oil-seals.com/xref-seals.htm

Once you get the numbers be sure to check around as the price of seals varies widely. Sometimes the best price will be on eBay or even Amazon. The local bearing/seal specialty shop quoted me $200.00 plus for a seal I found for $20.00 on eBay.

• Like 2

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

On 9/9/2016 at 3:17 AM, carlotpilot said:

Call Mack in Harrisonburg. They should still be able to get them. Tim in parts  540-434-2557

That Mack distributor in Harrisonburg, Truck & Equipment, deserves very special mention. The gentleman who founded it, Bob Plecker, represented all that was good about the former Mack Trucks. Bob was one of finest individuals I ever had the pleasure to know. Of course they had their freight company too, North & South Trucking Lines. Great memories there, of a fantastic Mack distributor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kscarbel2 said:

That Mack distributor in Harrisonburg, Truck & Equipment, deserves very special mention. The gentleman who founded it, Bob Plecker, represented all that was good about the former Mack Trucks. Bob was one of finest individuals I ever had the pleasure to know. Of course they had their freight company too, North & South Trucking Lines. Great memories there, of a fantastic Mack distributor.

Never met Mr. Plecker but Tom Kline who ran the show is a super guy. He retired about a year or so ago.

• Like 1

On September 19, 2016 at 9:03 AM, kscarbel2 said:

Willie, do you have your truck's line sheet with the 1QH front axle arrangement and 1QF rear axle arrangement ?

What front and rear axle models do your have?

I have the sheet........if I read the numbers right......front axle is  4125AP

Arrgt.  FA505  P

Rear is....5402   P

Arrgt.   RAS508

If you can make the actual measurments there's a great offer on seals of about almost different sizes on both Stemco and Timken websites.

I suppose those producents are of the top level about quality.

• Like 2

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On 9/21/2016 at 11:49 AM, Willie dog said:

I'll do some deciphering and send you the whole line of numbers and letters.

Thanks so much.

https://mibearings.com/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=2&sort=5a&page=10631

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

Okay, your B-model’s line sheet shows:

Front Axle Arrangement:  1QHA4125AP6  (FA505)

Wheel seal – 88AX100  (supercedes to 88AX100P3)

Rear Axle Arrangement:  1QFA5402P5  (RAS508)

Outer wheel seal – 88AX97  (supercedes to 88AX97P3)

Inner wheel seal – 88AX240  (supercedes to 88AX240P3)

I would think that the folks at Watt's Mack (1-888-304-6225), provider of the BMT website. can accommodate you.

• Like 1

I would think that the folks at Watt's Mack (1-888-304-6225), provider of the BMT website. can accommodate you.

A lot of people don't realize some of the old macks had two wheel seals on each wheel, hand packed in bearing grease for the inner bearing, and the the outer run in gear oil. With a seal between them, most people would remove the outer seal and run both bearings in oil. Don't know if it takes a different inner seal then.   terry

88AX100P3     https://mibearings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3834_7238&products_id=241980&zenid=ts97dqkp8269lcbmi9fbg2c9e0

88AX97P3     https://mibearings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3834_7238&products_id=242294&zenid=ts97dqkp8269lcbmi9fbg2c9e0

88AX240P3     https://mibearings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3834_7238&products_id=242105&zenid=ts97dqkp8269lcbmi9fbg2c9e0

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

9 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

I suggest you operate it with both inner and outer rear wheel seals......use it as it was designed by Mack engineers.

Give Watt's Mack a call.

Using a quality synthetic grease is the only necessary "upgrade".

I wasn't telling which way to go on the seals, most people don't there are two seals till they get them apart.  terry