Regen Problem

Have a 2016 Mack Granite  1400 miles, with a regen problem. It will not do a passive regen which results in the filter getting clogged every 4 days. We average speeds of over 60 Mph. The check engine light came on and I took it to Mack. they said that it needed a regen although it did not request it. They did a forced regen and it did not complete. They do not know how to fix it. They have escalated it to higher level for advice to fix it.

On 8/26/2016 at 5:39 AM, kscarbel2 said:

Sorry man 

You have to give them time to get it sorted When truck dosent  give up any codes it makes for a real witch  hunt It can be any number of issues from the turbo sticking to low fuel pressure ! Hopefully teck support will help them with it! you must under stand that the computer dosent  tell a guy everything! Just points a general direction and sometimes not even that ! The rest is an experience thing on the part of the teck! 

Edited by fjh

Could be a lot of things obviously but the first thing that comes to mind is fuel.  When the shop forced it through a regen, they should have been watching what was happening via the laptop.  I would have started by observing if the 7th injector was functioning or not.  No fuel = no heat = failed regen.  You can watch the dpf filter temp as well from the software.   

if the truck won't complete a forced regen, then most likely the problem is in front of the dpf can. it could be the fuel dozer but not probable. 

I suspect that it will be cups and/or injectors. the mechanics will almost always overlook it and try to change sensors and everything else but ultimately it will be injectors. injectors won't throw a code but they will make every thing else code. have them test for air in the return lines. it's a quick test that takes less than an hour. 

good luck and I look forward to follow up. 

Update. They reprogrammed the truck and did a forced regen. Engine light went off. Did a 100 mile high speed avg 70mph, and checked filter after  the drive and it was 50 percent clogged. There were no active or passive regen during the 1 hr drive. MACK is putting the truck in intensive care. Escalating  it to the highest level.

On 9/1/2016 at 10:40 PM, sgosine577 said:

Update. They reprogrammed the truck and did a forced regen. Engine light went off. Did a 100 mile high speed avg 70mph, and checked filter after  the drive and it was 50 percent clogged. There were no active or passive regen during the 1 hr drive. MACK is putting the truck in intensive care. Escalating  it to the highest level.

Particularly given you have a virtually new truck with a mere 1,400 miles, how are they compensating you for your loss of revenue for each day it is down?

On 8/31/2016 at 0:23 AM, kscarbel2 said:

You have a new truck, under warranty, with just 1,400 miles.

When you called Volvo Group's Mack brand customer satisfaction hotline (U.S. and Canada) at +1 (866) 298-6586 , what did they say?

They loaned me the 2007 Mack I traded in, been using it for the last week. Today they wanted me to put a loaded rolloff dumpster on the truck and simulate an average work day, I told them it would not make a difference since it was clogging up at high speed. They are testing the fuel to see if it is contaminated and removing and cleaning the filter. I guess they will go from there. So far they do not have any clue as what is wrong.

The engine has fricking fuel filters on it if the fuel was bad it would surly throw a code for plugged fuel filters grasping at straws or what!

if the dpf is clogging that fast the engine is making to much smoke not getting air for regen OR the engine brake slaves a working loose causing an incomplete burn they really need to start digging instead of pissing around testing fuel!  or the sensors in the can are out to lunch BUT thats the warranty way, need to jack around looking at silly stuff first! At least they gave you your  truck to drive probably no thanks to Mack, the dealer is doing that out of kindness! hopefully they get it resolved this stuff is not mechanic friendly.

KS made a good point WHAT IF they weren't able to lend you your truck back?

Edited by fjh

• 2 weeks later...

They said that the Mil light is no problen and that the buildup of soot is normal and the temperature has to be high enough fora a passive regen. They also said that active regen will only occur when the Ecm request it. So bring it back if the problem occur again and thet will keep it another month.

Edited by sgosine477

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2016 at 10:09 PM, sgosine477 said:

They said that the Mil light is no problen and that the buildup of soot is normal and the temperature has to be high enough fora a passive regen. They also said that active regen will only occur when the Ecm request it. So bring it back if the problem occur again and thet will keep it another month.

I got the truck back 9 days ago and did 1300 miles so far. The soot level is near L1, average driving speed is between 35 to 70 MPH. When does the active regen start?