Ssims83

Fan Clutch not working.

7 posts in this topic

I have a 02 CH with and etech 460.  I had an air leak just below the fitting at the clutch, I fixed that and replaced the air solenoid. Now fan clutch not pulling in at all. Any thoughts .

Thanks

Remove air line from solenoid going to fan clutch, apply shop air directly to fan clutch with engine off, listen for internal air leak of fan clutch.  Different types of air fans work different  than others . Some engage with air and some the opposite. Horton, Eaton and Kysor, I get them all confused  

Hi Mackpro,

I tried what you said, didn't hear any leaks.

Thanks.

All the e7 air clutches I've worked on at my shop need air to disengage the clutch and let the fan spin free. I have had one get stuck engaged even with shop air. I sprayed some pb blaster in the air fitting and around the clutch assembly and it freed up. Works fine now. Also check to make sure your air solenoid is working. The ones I deal with need 12v power to shut the air off and turn the fan on. I know it sounds backwards, but that how it works. Also, your computer may not be sending power to the solenoid, you can check that too. 

Did your clutch lock in with the shop air applied or unlock? 

Make sure the new solenoid you installed is the correct part, if not it could work backwards from what it is supposed to do.

IF it's the typical Horton (air unlocks it) the ecu will send a ground to the fan solenoid to apply air and unlock it. The solenoid would have constant 12v with the ecu using ground for control.

Thanks for your responses. I brought it to the shop yesterday and they said the clutch was bad.