Not a glider

IIRC, before volvo took over Mack used to offer gliders to rebuild trucks badly wrecked in crashes. But the insisted that you provide the VIN of the truck you were sourcing the powertrain from, so you couldn't just build a fleet of new trucks out of rebuilt powertrains and glider kits.

I looked at some Granite gliders a few years ago. They actually carried a Mack part number for the glider. A dealer had three of them groomed for vmacIII. Mack wanted your vin so they could associate with that certain truck for parts and emissions purpose. Otherwise you'd end up with what we call in Minnesota a "Manders special" Which is a Hodgepodge of parts built into a truck that is impossible to look up parts for. And it is also still illegal to put a motor in a vehicle that is older than the vehicle. 

We had 2 CL gliders still have one . Both came without any engine trannys or rears. Did mack ever offer a powered glider or rolling glider like Daimler has been doing ? There's been a lot of shady stuff going on with these gliders I'vE heard of one big dealer getting fined for selling gliders and using the same donor truck Vin # for several trucks which is illegal. 

On 7/25/2016 at 4:56 AM, TeamsterGrrrl said:

IIRC, before Volvo took over, Mack used to offer gliders to rebuild trucks badly wrecked in crashes. But Mack insisted that you provide the VIN of the truck you were sourcing the powertrain from, so you couldn't just build a fleet of new trucks out of rebuilt powertrains and glider kits.

At the former Mack Trucks, we requested the model and serial number of the subject truck being used in the construction of the glider kit, to ensure the glider kit was constructed so as to accommodate that truck's drivetrain, built with the same wiring harness (e.g. round versus square plug), ect.

It was all quite professional and thorough.  

• Like 1

On 7/25/2016 at 7:07 AM, logtruckman said:

We had 2 CL gliders still have one . Both came without any engine trannys or rears. Did mack ever offer a powered glider or rolling glider like Daimler has been doing ? There's been a lot of shady stuff going on with these gliders I'vE heard of one big dealer getting fined for selling gliders and using the same donor truck Vin # for several trucks which is illegal. 

Yes, in later years, we did sell powered glider kits featuring Mack "reman" engines.

But never a rolling glider kit......that amounts to being a complete truck.

Though we of course offered reman carriers, we never offered a reman axle assembly with carrier......no demand.

Mack documented the VIN of the original vehicle being glider kitted........that VIN could not be used twice.

1 hour ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

BTW, I wonder how many of these glider kits Fitzgerald and others are cranking out have functional ABS brakes?

All of them I have seen are really nice. ABS and all of that is factory installed. The one guy I know had to get an engine replaced but otherwise everything is good. I think they're overpriced though. 

The popularity of Fitzgerald and other glider kits is a result of simple free market supply and demand. If the OEMs could build a reliable, satisfactory product, there would be no demand for an alternative. Apparently Fitzgerald has many customers satisfied with their product, as that business has grown exponentially in the wake of tighter government emissions regulations. Another example of government manipulation of free markets, and OEMs attempt to satisfy the requirements of regulation rather than satisfy the consumer.

• Like 1

All of them I have seen are really nice. ABS and all of that is factory installed. The one guy I know had to get an engine replaced but otherwise everything is good. I think they're overpriced though. 

Maybe a bit high on initial purchase, but think about total cost of ownership over the life of the truck. A lot of maintenance and repair downtime on new trucks is related to EPA emissions equipment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The company I work for operates total of 45 OTR tractors and 68 trailers, 20 of the tractors are 2012 Freightliner Coronado gliders. I know Freightliner:wacko:.

Those trucks are equipped with 2004 Detroit series 60 550 HP. To be considered a glider it must come minus two major components, trans and rear drives.

But these have been pretty good trucks for us. We couldn't beat the price either.   

001.JPG

004.JPG

One ping only