Tom Spencer's/Iowa 80s Mack BX flatbed

That BX has been one of my favorite trucks since I first saw it.  I only have pictures of it on film.  Tom sold most of his stuff a bunch of years ago and moved to Florida.  He has at least one truck because I have seen pictures of an AC belonging to him at shows in FL.  His GMC from Proctor was also sold to Iowa 80.  Gary Mahan ended up with some of his parts and trucks.  I have parts of a B85 fire truck that went from Tom to Gary to someone else to me. 

My parents bought all those videos back in the 90's.  We could get them redone if there is real interest.  Maybe Doug Maney would know more about them. 

Mike

Edited by yarnall
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, yarnall said:

That BX has been one of my favorite trucks since I first saw it.  I only have pictures of it on film.  Tom sold most of his stuff a bunch of years ago and moved to Florida.  He has at least one truck because I have seen pictures of an AC belonging to him at shows in FL.  His GMC from Proctor was also sold to Iowa 80.  Gary Mahan ended up with some of his parts and trucks.  I have parts of a B85 fire truck that went from Tom to Gary to someone else to me. 

My parents bought all those videos back in the 90's.  We could get them redone if there is real interest.  Maybe Doug Maney would know more about them. 

Mike

I, for one, would enjoy seeing some of those old videos.  Not sure about anyone else.

Tom Spencer is alive and well and living in Port Jervis, New York. He retired from his truck restoration business several years ago and, as has been said, has sold most of his trucks. He spends the winters in Florida and is a member of our ATCA chapter, which is how I know him. Tom keeps his 1929 AC down here and brings it to local shows. By Tom's estimate he has restored over 80 trucks, most of them Macks. Besides owning his own shop, Tom worked for Gary Mahan for a numbers of years and did quite a few of Gary's trucks. Tom also had the honor of restoring AC serial number 0001, which is on display at the Iowa 80 museum. Despite restoring all those trucks, Tom's AC still sports it's original patina. He doesn't do computers, so the only way to reach him is by phone or at a show.

Mack 1929 AC dump Coppola Tom Spencer JL 1.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/24/2016 at 10:17 PM, Jeff Lakaszcyck said:

Tom Spencer is alive and well and living in Port Jervis, New York. He retired from his truck restoration business several years ago and, as has been said, has sold most of his trucks. He spends the winters in Florida and is a member of our ATCA chapter, which is how I know him. Tom keeps his 1929 AC down here and brings it to local shows. By Tom's estimate he has restored over 80 trucks, most of them Macks. Besides owning his own shop, Tom worked for Gary Mahan for a numbers of years and did quite a few of Gary's trucks. Tom also had the honor of restoring AC serial number 0001, which is on display at the Iowa 80 museum. Despite restoring all those trucks, Tom's AC still sports it's original patina. He doesn't do computers, so the only way to reach him is by phone or at a show.

Thanks for sharing this photo. Tom is a great guy and one of the finest Mack men around. Have not seen him for some years now.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/23/2016 at 7:45 AM, yarnall said:

Mike

Just wondering about those old ATCA videos you mentioned.  Is Doug Maney still around here?  When I emailed ATCA about those old videos they acted like they didn't even know what I was talking about.  Do you know anything about them, Doug?  Otherwise, I'd be interested in getting copies made, Mike, if you're interested in doing it.  Thanks!