Two engine road tractor tor

BillyT

I know you guys are gearheads right? If you haven't heard about the truck an engineer named Lloyd Wolf designed,built and patented,it will blow your mind! During ww2 they needed powerful trucks to haul tanks and other military equip.diesel engines light enough for a motor truck weren't powerful enough before turbo and computer managed systems.wolf took an international cabover and chassis and put two gmc 6bangers (gas) side by side on a sliding framework.The main engine was a stick shift,the second engine was an automatic which kicked in when it was needed! Hooked them together with a chain or gears to a standard truck differential.The second engine idled when at highway speeds to save gas,much like today's hybrid cars. The whole framework,with engines,etc slid out the front for service.In 7 minutes! The whole deal can be googled,was in Hemmings in 2014.shows an early 50s "cornbinder" cabover.

Wow! Knew they had a few dragsters,tommy ivo's four engine rail,and a couple hemi two engine dragsters,also a couple land speed record racers,but that's the first  Two engine truck I've seen! I do recall something about the two engine flathead tks. You mentioned,may have been in overdrive magazine. Love to restore that two engine cabover and go to a truck show and quietly disconnect the driveline and related parts (with everyone thinking it's one engine and slide out the two engines!!)

• 2 weeks later...

The Ford:  Doesn't someone from ATHS have one of these they are restoring?

7fea1e8b833a95968afdf92dc22a78f7.jpg

Twin engine Diamond T

twinengineDiamondT_2500.jpg

How's that for a face only a Mother could love???

I built this growing up.  Wish it would have been real:
vretta01.jpg

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

1 hour ago, Phase 1 said:

Tom Warren in Texas has a restored WWII twin engine Ford tractor.

Several companies made twin engine trucks. Grico, Spangler, Eisenhauer, Merry-Neville were some.

Here is shots of 1939 Thornco, 1946 Eisenhaur, Pacific, Spangle and I believe Grico / Ford twin 6.

1939 THORNCO

ht1939 Ford Thornco_zpsvwjo2a01.jpg[/URL]

SPANGLER from PA.

Spangler%20b_zpscus4lhkl.jpg

spangler%20dual%20fd%20a_zps47kqnnmc.jpg

GRICO ??

twin_ford%20a_zpscpusba2p.jpg

twin_engine_zpsiexyimw8.jpg

1946 EISENHAUR

1946%20eisenhaur%20freighter%20b_zpsbaub

1946%20eisenhaur%20freighter%20a_zpszlvy

PACIFIC

pacific%20dual%20engine_zpstwlwnutn.jpg

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 hour ago, Freightrain said:

That Pacific looks like a High Binder?  Or did they use the same chassis/cab?

Lloyd J Wolf from Texas using Emeryville-series International cabovers and paired GMC six-cylinder engines  with a transmission -transfer case of his design used Pacific to build his prototype. The photos are most times credited to Pacific only. Wolf also made the "Dyna-Assist" units to powere the trailer bogies to aid traction on hills and bad weather.  None ever caught on.     Paul

WolfTwinassist_zps5189898e.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I remember this truck well , I was eight years old when it came by our dairy to pickup the milk every other day. 1964 GMC V12 gaspot. It wasn't two engines but

it was based on that concept. It used four V6 heads and one block that was designed from using two blocks. 702 Cu.In. 275hp. The one came to our place was a

5sp using a single two speed rear axle pulling a 38 ft tanker. It had twin five inch chrome straight pipes that were blue at the elbows. I went to a six room school

a mile from home. I remember that I could tell that Gene the driver was leaving our farm after picking the milk up at 9:30 am. I could hear that truck setting in 

the classroom.                 This truck looks just like the one when I was a kid.

http://thunderv12.com/

Truck Shop

B7000 GMC.jpg

Edited by Truck Shop
  • Like 2

One ping only

• 1 month later...