Truck for Sale

joes mack

I know this is a Mack forum and don't know if I am in the right spot, however Yocum Creek Fire Dept has taken on the former Lower Clover Fork Fire Station and had a suggestion that we needed to thin down the fleet. We now have 4 Mack CFs we are going to get rid of and an 84 American LaFrance. Would there be anyone interested in this truck? The truck runs and drives but will not pump due to a bad transfer case.  I will try and post pictures of the truck soon. We are selling this truck to try and purchase much needed tools, gear and to try to get some of the other trucks up and running. Thanks, Joe

• Like 1

Joe:

Did I read this right, "We now have 4 Mack CFs we are going to get rid of"? Are you getting rid of 4 Macks and an ALF? What happened to Lower Cloverfork Fire Department?

bulldogboy

On July 5, 2016 at 8:47 PM, joes mack said:

I know this is a Mack forum and don't know if I am in the right spot, however Yocum Creek Fire Dept has taken on the former Lower Clover Fork Fire Station and had a suggestion that we needed to thin down the fleet. We now have 4 Mack CFs we are going to get rid of and an 84 American lafrance.

By the thread title and his post I think you misread it. Just the lafrance for sale as far as I can tell. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

bull dog  lower cloverfork  got shut down for not being in compliance with the state for several years they lost all of there funding from the state and county governments including workers comp. I don't want to throw anyone under the bus but it is what it is. this has been a ongoing problem for the last several years and we all tried everything we could to keep them open. but the economy in Harlan county and the state of ky just made the officals decision to close the doors easier. they have been shut down 2 times before this but were reopened and this time they just said no more. we will be putting 1 engine (76 cf from Cromwell  ct ) and 1 tanker in the building as soon as we get the go ahead from the county government.  and I will begin getting a couple of the other trucks running that are down there.  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

here are some pics of the truck we are wanting to sell it is a 1985. the truck runs and drives good but it will not pump. I'm not sure if it is the top gear in the transfer case or the pump shaft  splines stripped or both. truck was bought new for plainview NY sold to lower cloverfork and now yocum creek has it. if anyone is interested in the truck I can take more pictures.

DSCF6158.JPG

DSCF6157.JPG

DSCF6156.JPG

DSCF6155.JPG

DSCF6154.JPG

DSCF6153.JPG

• Like 1

Well this makes me feel better ! I thought we were the only poor outfit looking forward to running a 76 cf  engine:P  sorry to hear that a small station couldn't afford to operate and had to be shut down, we are currently working on annexing some more area so our dept. can stay afloat.:o if only the fire dept. could get the taxes that the library dist. does!  

the 76 cf is a great truck we also have a 73 cf that we run almost as much as the 87  when its all said and done we will have the 87 and 73 and 2 2,000 gallon tankers at station 1 and the 76 and 86 and 2 2,000 gallon tankers at station 2.

Joes Mack - 

You're doing good work my friend.  I've posted here before that my wife's parents and several generations back are Harlan natives.  Cawood, Loyall, Evarts and Lynch.  Uncle still works for the City of Harlan and Cousin is a coach for the Harlan HS Football team.  We absolutely look forward to each and every trip we make to Harlan County.  We don't live there though and its easy to enjoy your time when you get to leave.  I can unequivocally say that ANY volunteer fire department in that County that can keep its doors open, get rigs to the job and retain a force of firefighters to protect the community is doing the IMPOSSIBLE.  Even if you had all the funding in the world and volunteers chomping at the bit to get onto a rig, just the roads, mountains lack of available water sources etc. make your job a huge challenge.

So I say to you sir, congrats!!!!!  Two reliable Mack pumpers and two tankers in each of your stations is monumental....

Quick question... Last time I was there, it looked like there was no activity at the Cawood fire house and the one in Cranks Creek looked inactive as well.  I know its clear across the county from you, but do you know what is going on over there?  Who would provide fire protection if those stations are inactive?  City of Harlan?  Someone from the Lee County, VA side?

For anyone who has actually read this far in my post, a little bit of Harlan trivia that is still relevant today... Hagan's switchback on the CSX line, connects Harlan County to Lee County, VA by going under the mountain.  The switchback in on the VA side in the area of Rose Hill (just east of the Cumberland Gap) AND it is the only commercial freight switchback still in service in the United States.

• Like 1

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

General Ike thank you for your comments. it is tough to do what we do with what little we have to work with as far as resources go and the roads. but to us its just normal if there is such a thing.  to answer your questions about cawood/martins fork area sunshine fire department is covering the area as both departments are now closed. the conditions are not idea for them either because of the time it takes them to get there (20 to 45 mins ) depending on where the fire is located. but there are plans in place to build another station in that area soon. they are already getting the trucks for that area to go in the new station as soon as its built.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, joes mack said:

General Ike thank you for your comments. it is tough to do what we do with what little we have to work with as far as resources go and the roads. but to us its just normal if there is such a thing.  to answer your questions about cawood/martins fork area sunshine fire department is covering the area as both departments are now closed. the conditions are not idea for them either because of the time it takes them to get there (20 to 45 mins ) depending on where the fire is located. but there are plans in place to build another station in that area soon. they are already getting the trucks for that area to go in the new station as soon as its built.

Have you found any sources for station grants ?  I was checking with FEMA but as far as I can find out they haven't done any since Obummer took office, he sent the funds to home land security.

I'm been working on a grant to get our hall reworked  so the Cf  will fit and get a concrete floor in the building so we don't get shut down for a unsafe structure, USDA will do a 75% up to 30k and any dept work is counted as in kind at prevailing wage.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 5:19 PM, gearhead204 said:

Have you found any sources for station grants ?  I was checking with FEMA but as far as I can find out they haven't done any since Obummer took office, he sent the funds to home land security.

I'm been working on a grant to get our hall reworked  so the Cf  will fit and get a concrete floor in the building so we don't get shut down for a unsafe structure, USDA will do a 75% up to 30k and any dept work is counted as in kind at prevailing wage.

we haven't tried for any kind of grants but I know that the state of Kentucky has grants for the fire departments for everything from gear to buildings. I'm not sure what the match is though.  I do know that we get $11,000 a year in state aid and we can use part of it for building repair and construction. but with that being the majority of the money we receive for the year its hard to do much with it when you have to buy gear and equipment.

You have to work the grants, and maybe increase taxes a bit too. For example, I'm trying to get our water system rebuilt, will cost about $150k and at peak we have only 20 customers. USDA Rural Development has been very helpful, sounds like they'll cover a third of the cost with a grant. We've been running a surplus in the city budget for several years now, so we're ending this year with about $35k in the bank. That means the citizens will have to pay about half the cost of the system, several thousand apiece is a lot, but we're spending as much or more now on repairs to our 50 year old pipes. Financed out over 20-30 years $75k spread over even 15 users is acceptable, it's an investment we have to make and it costs even more if we wait until the whole system fails.

Same with fire protection. We've got volunteer fire departments competing with each other to offer the lowest price for annual contracts with the smaller cities and townships. All the departments are very resourceful and get a lot of bang for the buck, but they really need to charge us more than $250 a year for service. Would help too if we had funding from the hazmat haulers like the railroad and truckers running through our city, but that would probably require legislative if not congressional action. 

Does your state offer grants to help with the day to day costs of running a FD? In VA we have a program that returns a small tax on home owner's fire insurance policies to the locality based on population, not need. 

If I had a jurisdiction with only 20 structures I'd figure a way to put fire sprinklers in all of them and not worry about providing a FD that was capable of responding to a structural fire call. A small brush truck would probably be sufficient. Sprinklers would be more efficient, lower insurance costs for all, and provide complete life safety for all building occupants.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I like sprinklers, but good luck getting all the owners of hundred year old houses to install them. Our town is too small to justify our own FD, works better for us to contract with a slightly larger city FD 7 miles away, they provide protection for their city and several surrounding townships and cities. No state grants for FD operations in Minnesota, but the state gives us about $400 a year per person in "Local Government Aid" that we use for a variety of expenses. 

I like sprinklers, but good luck getting all the owners of hundred year old houses to install them

That is always the issue. A fire is a slight probability, spending money is an absolute certainty. But in your case it makes absolute economic sense to at least explore the options especially since you are re-doing the water system. Most of the cost of a water system is to provide fire protection and if you can mitigate that by automating protection it should lower your costs. In our case we lowered fire flow requirements by upwards of 80% if sprinklers were installed.

Given the long response time, and my guess is inadequate staffing, of the responding department, I would at the very least encourage the individuals to install some type of monitored detection system. If the structures are old they are probably balloon framed and any fire that gets a hold of the structure will almost always result in a total loss. My sales pitch is that a burglar may steal some things, but a fire takes everything. 

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!