New Mack GU713 Dump Trucks

What are they hauling that requires 6 axles - lead?  I've never seen a 'quint-axle' dump truck before.  Even in pics.  In fact, I've never seen any more than a tri-axle up in this area. Interesting.....

Tennessee is increasing enforcing the federal bridge laws especially on state and federal road jobs. WE are selling many more quads and quints than we did 6 years ago with more of our local dump and mixer customers at least partial moving away from triaxles and towards rigs with more axles to meet federal standards. This is especially true of operators that run into western NC.

Jim Toussaint

Division Operations Manager - Worldwide Equipment Inc

Knoxville / Middlesboro / Crossville / Morristown / Asheville Highway

Met a driver years ago in Ohio, had a 7 axle dump truck. Curious, I asked how much he could legally haul with all those axles?!? He replied, "18 tons". I shook my head and walked away... seems more trouble than it's worth for 18 tons payload. Seems that could be done with a 3 axle truck in most states.

22 hours ago, Jarhead Enterprises said:

2017 Mack GU713 5 and 6 axle dump trucks for Claiborne Hauling Contractors (Bulldog Leasing), Knoxville, TN. Mack MP8-455M engines, Allison 6 speed automatics, 20k front axles, 46k rear axles on camelbacks. Rogers steel "tub" bodies on the 5 axle trucks, Rogers aluminum square box bodies on the six axle trucks. 5 of each all on aluminum wheels and 315/80R22.5 tires all around.

Claiborne Hauling Trucks 002.JPG

Jim, it's a beautiful truck. But looking at those 3 lift axles........US truck design really hasn't changed/progressed in decades.

For optimized hauling efficiency, maneuverability and long road life (ideal weight distribution), I'd rather have a COE (twin-steer) 8-legger with a steerable tag (10x4), or for enhanced fuel efficiency an 10x2 (of course with locking inter-wheel differential).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chu613 said:

Beautiful truck indeed. i always liked the axle forward Granite. I wish they would have adopted the hood and headlights for CHU

They make granites as tractors

leave CHU as is in my opion; reason I bought mine; think they look as good as any tractor on the road

You have to build and stock what your local markets demand in terms of both truck and body specifications. Our WE locations in Dayton and Cincinnati sell mostly 7 axle configurations for dumps. Around east Tennessee on a state or federal job you can haul about 13 ton legally on a triaxle. It would be nice if all the states could get on the same page in terms of hauling regulations. I still like the old weight regulation in Metro NY area where you could legally haul the GVW of the truck - love the look of a RD688SX with 58 or 65 bogies, 20k front and high sided 14-16' dump box or the older DM800 with the 23 front and 80 rear bogies. Those were real trucks that demanded real drivers. I still think all this bridge law stuff is garbage.

Edited by Jarhead Enterprises
addition
  • Like 1

Jim Toussaint

Division Operations Manager - Worldwide Equipment Inc

Knoxville / Middlesboro / Crossville / Morristown / Asheville Highway

On 6/26/2016 at 2:10 PM, Jarhead Enterprises said:

You have to build and stock what your local markets demand in terms of both truck and body specifications. Our WE locations in Dayton and Cincinnati sell mostly 7 axle configurations for dumps. Around east Tennessee on a state or federal job you can haul about 13 ton legally on a triaxle. It would be nice if all the states could get on the same page in terms of hauling regulations. I still like the old weight regulation in Metro NY area where you could legally haul the GVW of the truck - love the look of a RD688SX with 58 or 65 bogies, 20k front and high sided 14-16' dump box or the older DM800 with the 23 front and 80 rear bogies. Those were real trucks that demanded real drivers. I still think all this bridge law stuff is garbage.

Agreed. Massachusetts and Rhode Island still allow ten-wheelers to carry heavy, but CT does not. It kinda stinks when there are plenty of safe, heavy spec ten wheelers available on the used market around here, but they are on the market because you can't legally carry sh** with them in my state.