Mahan Collection Open House

On 5/25/2016 at 6:22 PM, kscarbel2 said:

Gary Mahan has a wonderful collection. But his arrogant demeanor turned me off each time we had an interaction.

Some people are just ARROGANT unfortunately he puts his underwear on the same way as i do and I told a few people that  !! IVE have friends on both sides of the coin.

Ed

Beautiful trucks.  I would have loved to have gone but I took a couple fire trucks in my town's 150 anniversary parade. 

While I don't know Gary well he has always been nice to me.  I am going to his place next week to buy some parts for my AC.  It would suspect that some people take my social awkwardness as arrogance but that is not my intent.   Mike. 

• Like 2

And yet when I Met him he was gracious and accommodating.  Gave me one of his men to help me measure and photograph his AC/Christie, took me on the grand tour and talked about my piddly few trucks. Even remembered my name at his last invite only event. Must have caught him on an off day?    Paul

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I myself have had nothing but good interactions when I have been to his place several times. Our last visit there last fall with my father who was in search of a winch to mount on our B-Model, Gary put him in a cart and off they went and 45 min later they returned and I owned a 50 ton winch for the truck. Gary did the whole deal on a hand shake and we left and sent Gary the balance on the winch the next day.  Any time I go there he is very gracious and personable with us,,,,,Just my dealings.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On May 25, 2016 at 7:22 PM, kscarbel2 said:

Gary Mahan has a wonderful collection. But his arrogant demeanor turned me off each time we had an interaction.

I think that as stated above, you are mistaking if you consider his demeanor arrogant.  We are speaking of a man who allows people into his private shrine, climbs over piles of unobtainable parts to find us fellow collectors parts that we would otherwise be screwed without. Keep in mind he is in his seventies and is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. He isn't doing this for money, he is doing it to genuinely help people. After you get what you came for, he gives you a tour of the most extensive collection of Mack trucks in the world, and usually brings you down to Basking Ridge center to take you out to lunch. He has taken the time not only to show me his collection, but also to see his other business ventures. To me, this isn't arrogance, it is enlightenment.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
On 5/25/2016 at 7:22 PM, kscarbel2 said:

That is absolutely ridiculous Gary is the nicest man you will ever meet Gary showed me around his place for a job interview we talked about old Mack’s had a few laughs don’t know who you were speaking to but it wasn’t Gary 

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2024 at 2:35 PM, Elephant ears said:

That is absolutely ridiculous Gary is the nicest man you will ever meet Gary showed me around his place for a job interview we talked about old Mack’s had a few laughs don’t know who you were speaking to but it wasn’t Gary 

You are correct @Elephant ears, @kscarbel2 corrected himself above eight years ago  😎

IMG_8554.jpeg

Edited by DavCut