20,000 hrs and 310,000 miles

Hi all, I bought a new to me 2000 Mack CH600. Seems extremely clean and runs very well. It only has 310,000 miles and a clean title. Owned by a guy who ran side dumps and end dumps. I guess its a little late since I already bought it but I just noticed the hour meter. Didn't give it a second thought cause none of our other trucks even have them. It's just over 20,000 hrs. Seems a little high to me for the miles, but like I said it doesn't leak at all and seems to run very well. Although haven't had a lot of time to run it a lot yet. Anything opinions? Also, I see everyone talking about oil analysis, how does one get started? I've wanted to do it but have never done it for any of our trucks or tractors. Usually just go with the 10,000 miles on the trucks and 250 hrs for tractors.

• Like 1

While I know that this doesn't account for idle time.... but if you're doing 60mph your doing a mile a minute.  20,000hrs times 60 minutes in in hour = 1,200,000 minutes or 1.2 million miles.  So unless this thing sat for many hours every day idling, I'd say there is a discrepancy between your engine hours and your mileage.

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

There should be some maintenance records on that truck somewhere. Check the original dealer it came from. Even if it was owner fleet maintained they would have records. Just ask the seller for the record for your reference and maintenance cost, shouldn't be a problem...Right.

If I remember right I bought a 93 CL700 with 17,000 hours and 390,000 miles. It was a local oil field truck and didn't seem too far out of line. I know the Speedo was correct from the records, avg 23 miles per hour. Ran good the great oil pressure. 

So what I'm getting is the fact that it is high hours but not necessarily out of line for a dump/vocational truck. I'll try and get some maintenance records from the previous owner and or the original dealership if possible. 20,000 hrs does spook me a little but I guess that's because I'm used to the hours on our tractors which are all under 8000.

11 minutes ago, ndvaughn said:

So what I'm getting is the fact that it is high hours but not necessarily out of line for a dump/vocational truck. I'll try and get some maintenance records from the previous owner and or the original dealership if possible. 20,000 hrs does spook me a little but I guess that's because I'm used to the hours on our tractors which are all under 8000.

Need to run them a little more.... or at least idle them... LOL

• 1 month later...