considering purchase of first Mack with emissions

Im considering purchasing a used 2012 Mack with the mp8 and m drive trans.  This will be my first truck that has emission equip. and im a bit stressed that im making a mistake leaving my 2001 Vision with the 460 for a newer truck. Can anyone give me some insight as to what i should be looking forward to if i purchase the 2012. im a part time driver moving equipment for myself with my heaviest loads around 30k so im sure power wont be a problem lol. the emissions stuff scares me a bit.

My advise is to read all the post you can find on mp8 & the 08 thru current; injecters & cups seem to be the worse part of them & I don't think they have them fixed yet; other than that take very long test drive

I really like mine; but had to do injecters & it only had 205,000 miles on it

If I had a good truck & didn't use it that much; I would wait little longer until they get there stuff straight

• Like 1

after reading as much as i could i decided against the 2012 i was considering. im in need of a second truck at this point so im going to keep the 2001 and probably going to add a 2007 vision truck thats basically identical and is still pre emission. ive been very pleased with the 01 logging 670k on it so far. im hoping the 2007 will be just as good to me. thanks for the input! hopefully they come up with a better emissions setup by the time im ready to retire mine

• 1 month later...

trucks built in the first half  of 07 were pre emissions not the second half so check the build date....  as for a truck built after that is   night mare I drove a 2011 int prostar  it was in the shop for 5 weeks before the truck was returned to work it was picked up on  Monday and on tuesday morning  I didn't get 15 miles and it had to go back in the shop fir aother 5 weeks  same probem

I see this very often.  Basically the emissions components are what makes the newer trucks unreliable/expensive to own.  At this point  you can delete any truck on the market.  It's expensive but if you factor the cost in to your purchase it saves you in the long run both in time and money.  

My 2016 has been fantastic!  It just had its one year birthday.  125 000 miles and I have had the check engine light come on twice, neither of which were serious and was able to wait to get back home.  Otherwise ZERO issues. The truck runs great and gets outstanding fuel economy.  That being said....if you didn't NEED an emissions truck for compliance purposes as I do (California ) then I think a 2003 or older would be a more reliable truck overall.  As stated above a 2007 is pre DPF. Not pre emissions. 2004 was first year of Egr which had its own issues.