300 puff limiter

Came across Lmackattack's write up on putting the puff limiter on a switch in cab.  Before I did anything like that, I messed around with vise grips on what I thought was the correct line to see if it worked.  I put a piece of rubber around the line before I clamped the vise grips down so I didn't damage anything.  Got in the cab and took the parking brake off and mashed the throttle.  No change.  Long story short, it's like that for every one of the 3 lines coming off the valve.

What'd I do wrong here?

Yes the truck has a working pyrometer.

31 minutes ago, blackdog2 said:

Put air1/8" toggle on line between parking brake valve and anaroy on manifold mount inside ash tray they are getting smarter just in case you get the urge to turn it on if the man says boy you tinker with that .

That's what I'm working towards, but the line I thought was the correct one has no effect on how the truck runs.  I'm just trying to test it out before I build a switch for it.

Edited by xdudebrahx

The air line your after should be 1/4 in. Mine has two 1/4 air lines, and one 1/2 in. 

You see in my picture one air line is off, that's the sucker right there. It should be energised when brakes are released. 

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I had a switch in my cab

couple years back Ct DMV stopped me , they wrote me up for it , it was a big deal

had to run the truck through an emission test with it connected so they didnt pull the registration

I ended up shimming the valve to get as much as possoble and staying under legal limit for opacity

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta bump this again.  My usual truck came back from the shop and upon checking it out, I noticed a new reversing relay installed on the intake manifold.  The issue is that the shop left the pipe plug in the rearmost port and the airline is leaking since it's not connected.  I jammed a screw in the line so the truck would build air pressure. 

The mechanic will eventually fix it but I'm asking for my own knowledge.  What is that line?  The one on the front is the one that goes to the puff valve on the fuel pump, but what are the other two?  I'm thinking one is a supply line and the other goes to the trans for reverse?

There's only three ports on the reversing relay valve. The one in the very middle should be mounted on the intake manifold (signal pressure). The other two, I can't remember which one is which anymore. One goes to the puff limiter cylinder(front of pump) the other should be marked in and is the supply from the spring brake air circuit.

Ron

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk