Volvo Trucks announces US market common rail, other powertrain enhancements

kscarbel2

Fleet Owner  /  March 22, 2016

New 2017 engines get 2.2% to 6.5% better fuel efficiency versus previous generation

Retooled engines and a variety of transmission and total powertrain enhancements are on the way from Volvo Trucks North America (VTNA) later this year and on into 2017.

Volvo’s retooled D11 engine features a 2.2% fuel efficiency improvement versus the previous 2014 model along with several enhancements: a new two-piece valve cover; new common rail fuel system that helps boost fuel savings while quieting the engine; new wave pistons that improve fuel/oxygen mix for cleaner burning; an assembled camshaft that reduces weight by 27 lbs.; shimless rockers; and a power boost to 425 hp. Volvo said the new D11 production will start in January 2017

Volvo’s revamped 2017 D13 engine offers a 2.5% fuel efficiency gain versus its 2014 predecessor, using the same new common-rail fuel system, wave pistons, and assembled camshaft as found in the 2017 model D11, along with a new two-speed coolant pump on XE models that boosts fuel economy by 0.5%. Volvo is also offering 100 ft.-lbs. of extra torque for the 455 hp of this engine, increasing overall torque to 1,850 lb.-ft. Production for the new D13 will begin in October this year.

In mid-2017, Volvo plans to roll out a D13 engine featuring turbo-compounding, which adds another 50 hp via waste heat recovery, offering a further 3% fuel economy boost versus the “regular” 2017 D13 model.

“This will allow fleets to cruise down highway in one extra gear, further improving fuel efficiency,” noted Wade Long, Volvo’s director of product marketing. He added the D13 with turbo compounding will be aimed at highway applications where steady-state speeds offer the best environment to maximize fuel savings.

Long noted that no major changes are being made to the 2017 D16 model compared its previous 2014 iteration, with the D16 maintaining its iron-zeolite catalyst, eliminating the need for sulfur regeneration. Production for the tweaked 2017 D16 model begins in January 2017.

Volvo is also rolling out other enhancements to its aftertreament system and I-shift automated manual transmission (AMT) for 2017:

- A new one-box exhaust aftertreatment system (EATS) that combines a diesel particulate filter (DPF) with the selective catalytic reduction (SCR) and diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) doser into a single unit.

- That EATS package also features a new copper-zeolite coating that improves low temperature oxides of nitrogen (NOx ) conversion for improved emissions.

- The new design configuration results in better thermal performance for improved efficiency, smaller packaging requirements and an approximately 17-pound weight reduction compared with the two-box unit.

- The new one-box EATS will be standard on the D11- and D13-equipped powertrains. The two-box solution will remain on the D16.

- An I-Shift featuring “Crawler Gears” for applications requiring a slow speed and maneuverability – applications such as concrete mixers with curb-pouring capability, asphalt paving, spreaders, dump trucks, heavy haul and line painters, as well as heavy haul and up to 220,000 lbs. GCW or more with application approval.

- One I-Shift with Crawler Gear version features 14 forward gears, including one low crawler gear (19.38 gear ratio) and one ultra-low crawler gear (32.04 gear ratio), which can operate down to 0.6 mph with 3.58 rear axle ratio

- The second features 13 forward gears, including one low crawler gear (17.54 ratio).

- Available as an overdrive in Volvo VHD, VNX, VNM and VNL models, the I-Shift with Crawler Gears can be spec’d with Volvo D11, D13 and D16 engines.

- A new “I-See” system, launched this week in North America, that will work in tandem with the I-Shift transmission. It “learns” the topography of the road, memorizes it and stores it in the transmission for use the next time the driver travels the routes; storing up to 4,500 different hills.

- I-See is designed to optimize gear shifting on rolling hills and hilly terrain, building speed before the hill, then curbs speed before the crest, Eco-Rolling down the hill and engine braking if necessary.

Volvo Trucks brings unveils new powertrain enhancements

Green Car Congress  /  March 22,  2016

Volvo Trucks North America launched several new integrated powertrain solutions, offering increased fuel efficiency, productivity, reliability, packaging, comfort and uptime. Volvo’s new powertrain offerings include multiple engine enhancements, such as turbo compounding for the Volvo D13 engine; the introduction of Volvo I-Shift with Crawler Gears automated manual transmission; and a one-box Exhaust Aftertreatment System (EATS).

As a result of the improvements, Volvo is delivering between 2.2 to 6.5% better fuel efficiency with the 2017 engines compared with the previous generation.

Volvo engine enhancements

For the first time in the North American market, Volvo’s 2017 D13 engine will be available with turbo compounding, a technology that recovers wasted exhaust heat and converts it to useable mechanical energy that is transferred back into the engine. The result of this recovered energy is up to a 6.5% improvement in fuel efficiency compared with previous engine models. Applications that benefit most from turbo compounding include long-haul, steady-state driving.

In another first, Volvo’s XE—eXceptional Efficiency—powertrain package with the D13 turbo compounding engine will be available to customers desiring to run in top gear in states and provinces that have 55 mph (89 km/h) speed limits. Through downspeeding, XE allows the engine to cruise at up to 300 rpm less than the average truck sold today—significantly improving fuel efficiency. More than 27% of all Volvo models sold in 2015 featured an XE package.

Volvo’s 2017 11-liter D11 engine and the 2017 D13 both received numerous updates designed to improve fuel efficiency. An updated EGR flow sensor has a new double-wall casing that reduces condensation and soot buildup in cold weather, preventing downtime. A low-pressure fuel system features an improved aftertreatment dosing module that is integrated into the fuel filter housing for easier serviceability.

Upgrades to the two-speed coolant pump for both engines also improve fuel efficiency as a result of reduced parasitic losses. The new intake throttle enables a faster warmup when the engine is started.

The 2017 Volvo D11 offers up to 425 hp (317 kW) and 1,550 lb-ft (2,102 N·m) of torque, an increase of 20 horsepower. The engine also delivers up to a 2.2% fuel efficiency improvement compared with the previous D11 engine. With the right blend of power and a lighter weight, the D11 is suited for regional, less than truckload (LTL) and pickup-and-delivery applications. The D11 is available in Volvo VN daycabs, VNM 430 and VNL 430 sleeper models, VAH and VHD models.

The 2017 Volvo D13 features a new wave piston, which increases the compression ratio and maximizes fuel efficiency. Improved flame propagation reduces soot, while also increasing cylinder efficiency. The updated D13, available in the Volvo VN, VHD and VAH models, offers a fuel efficiency improvement of up to 2.5% compared to the previous D13. These engine enhancements were also included in the 2017 Volvo D13 with turbo compounding.

The 16-liter Volvo D16, the largest engine in its class, offers power and reliability for hauling heavy loads, with horsepower ranging from 500 to 600 (373 to 447 kW), with 1,650 lb-ft (2,237 N·m) to 2,050 lb-ft (2,779 N·m) of torque. Available in the VNL and VNX models, the D16 is suited for line-haul and heavy-haul operations.

Volvo Introduces New Engine, Powertrain Enhancements

Transport Topics  /  March 22, 2016

Volvo Trucks North America has introduced a suite of new products, including 2017 engines as well as powertrain enhancements with the common goals of enhancing customers’ fuel efficiency and driver experience.

For the engine, the 11-liter and 13-liter models, known as D11 and D13, were rolled out in addition to the D13 with turbo compounding during a tour of the Hagerstown, Maryland, engine and powertrain plant. Fuel-efficiency improvements were reported at 2.2% for the D11, 2.5% for the D13 and 6.5% for the model with turbo compounding, when compared with previous generation engines.

“Volvo engineered multiple engine enhancements to provide customers with the needed fuel savings without sacrificing power and performance,” Volvo Trucks North America President Göran Nyberg said in a statement.

The 11-liter enhancements include a common-rail fuel system designed for quieter operations. Other upgrades are new wave pistons, a two-speed coolant pump, two-piece valve cover, higher horsepower and an assembled camshaft.

Together, they are meant to replicate performance of earlier generation 13-liter engines. January 2017 availability is targeted for the 11-liter engine, a statement said. Horsepower is being increased nearly 5% to 425.

The D13 model, targeted for shorter-distance services such as pickup and delivery runs, offers enhancements similar to the 11-liter, including 6% higher torque, giving drivers more freedom in downspeeding. Availability is planned for October.

The model with turbo compounding is designed for highway operation. It converts wasted exhaust heat into 50 additional horsepower, which is transferred back into the engine, John Moore, marketing product manager, said during the tour of the plant.

The model with turbo compounding, slated for availability in mid-2017, is designed to cruise at 300 rpm less than today’s typical truck, said Wade Long, director of product marketing. One percentage point of that turbo compounding improvement is tied to a driveline with a 2.47 rear axle ratio.

Moore estimated the potential savings using turbo compounding at $231,000 annually for a 75-truck fleet running 125,000 miles per vehicle at 7 mpg, assuming $2.65 per gallon for diesel.

In addition, Volvo is beginning production on the D16, a 16-liter engine targeted to heavy-haul and vocational fleets, offering as much as 600 hp and up to 2,050 pound-feet of torque. Production of the D16 will begin in January.

At the same time the new products were announced, Nyberg described 2016 “as a new year with new challenges."

"We see a softer year ahead of us. The first quarter has been extra soft, but we still expect to have one of the better [sales] years in North America," Nyberg said.

“We are not stopping at engines,” said Long, explaining that I-Shift “crawler gears” will be available on the D16. The new gearing is designed to improve fuel efficiency during slow-speed paving and pouring of concrete.

Another change is replacement of a two-box exhaust aftertreatment with a one-box approach that is designed to speed maintenance.

“These new Volvo powertrain enhancements incorporate our innovative engineering and technology expertise with our focus on meeting customers’ needs to offer them the best possible solutions for the best possible return on investment,” Nyberg said.

Operations also are being enhanced by the U.S. introduction next year of a predictive cruise control technology known as I-See, which Moore said was designed to consistently maximize fuel efficiency, since drivers’ performance varies during a shift. The feature that works together with the I-Shift transmission is designed to store the topography for 4,500 hills. The intent, he said, is to find the right combination of gearing and power for climbing, cresting and rolling downhill.

“Drivers are now going to get more power for less fuel spent,” Moore said.

The latest announcements also focused on weight reductions, such as 17 pounds less for the one-box exhaust after-treatment system [what has already long been used in the global market].

Volvo Refines 2017 Engines, Adds Crawler-Gear Option for I-Shift

Heavy Duty Trucking  /  March 22, 2016

Volvo Trucks’ 2017-model engines will include more efficient fuel and combustion systems and, in one model, turbo compounding to add power, responsiveness and fuel economy, officials said Tuesday at a press event at Volvo Group’s powertrain plant in Hagerstown, Md.

They also described a compact One Box exhaust aftertreatment system and an improved I-Shift automated manual transmission with optional crawler gears for heavy hauling and severe vocational service. The products will be phased into production at the plant starting this fall and into next year.

Engines will include refined D11 and D13 diesels and a previously improved D16, said Wade Long, product marketing director. The 10.8-liter D11 will get a top rating of 425 hp, up from the current 405 hp. The 12.8-liter D13's 455-hp rating will add 100 lb-ft, going to 1,850 lb-ft.

A turbo compounded D13 TC will have a second turbocharger linked via fluid coupling and a geartrain to the crankshaft, grabbing otherwise wasted energy from the exhaust to gain as much as 50 hp and 4% in fuel economy. It’s designed for long-hauling at steady highway speeds, mostly 65 mph, he said. So the TC will be offered on sleeper-cab VN models when it becomes available in mid 2017.

The new D11 goes into production in January, while the improved D13 will enter production in October. The D11 will deliver 2.2% better fuel economy than the current model, while the D13 gains 2.5%. Adding turbo compounding’s 4% gain means the D13 TC will be as much as 6.5% better in highway service.

When spec’d with Volvo’s XE (for eXceptional Efficiency) “downspeeding” package and a 2.47 rear axle ratio, a D13 TC will cruise as low as 1,050 rpm in top gear at 65 mph, Long said.  XE includes Volvo’s I-Shift automated transmission.

Pricing was not disclosed, but an investment in the TC option will pay off in about 18 months, other officials said.

The 2017 D11 and D13 feature a “new wave” piston that increases the compression ratio to 17 to 1 (from 16 to 1) for better fuel efficiency. Improved flame propogation and combustion reduces soot, while pistons are treated to lower friction between them and cylinder walls. A common-rail fuel system is packaged under the new split valve cover for protection and easier servicing.

One Box, I-Shift

The One Box aftertreatment system weighs less and is 12 inches shorter than the current “teapot” system, so takes less frame space. The diesel particulate filter’s substrate can be more quickly removed for cleaning or replacement.

I-Shift for 2017 gets new hardware and software, and its clutch has larger dampening springs to better absorb torsional vibrations and improve the clutch's overall durability. A new I-See system enables predictive cruise control for more efficient hill climbing and descending. I-See uses sensors and GPS positioning to recognize previously traveled routes to help manage the throttle, engagement of EcoCoast freewheeling and use of the engine brake.

The I-Shift's optional crawler gears add one or two low-low ratios to aid starting on upgrades for heavy combination vehicles and vocational trucks, making the 12-speed transmission into 13- or 14-speed gearboxes, Long said. The 13’s crawler ratio is 17.54 to 1 and the 14’s are 19.38 to 1 and 32 to 1.

The gears are contained in a back section just ahead of the bell housing. The crawler-gear section adds 5 inches to length and 90 pounds to a 12-speed I-Shift’s 720 pound weight.

Gears and other hardware have been hardened to withstand frequent shifting under harsh conditions. Concrete mixer trucks which have to creep while pouring curbs are among the vocations suitable for the crawler gear-equipped I-Shift, “and we’re ready to attack the vocational market,” Long commented.

Current I-Shifts now go into nearly 83% of Volvo trucks, mostly highway tractors, said Gӧran Nyberg, president of Volvo Trucks North America, who was at the press event. Volvo diesels go into almost 93%.

“The success of Volvo’s proprietary powertrain components is a direct result of the Hagerstown facility and its distinctive combination of powertrain engineering and manufacturing in one campus,” said. “These unique capabilities had a significant impact on the development of our updated 2017 powertrain, which will no doubt further our leadership in integrated powertrain technology.”

Photo gallery - http://www.truckinginfo.com/news/story/2016/03/volvo-refines-2017-engines-adds-crawler-gear-option-for-i-shift.aspx

Volvo’s Nyberg: New offerings open doors of opportunity

Fleet Owner  /  March 23, 2016

A range of improvements to its D11 and D13 truck engines, along with vocational enhancements to its I-Shift automated manual transmission (AMT) and other new product offerings are expected to help position Volvo Trucks North America (VTNA) to capture more business in the “soft” commercial vehicle sales environment ahead.

“They really open to the door of opportunity for us in segments where want to grow,” explained Gӧran Nyberg, VTNA’s president, to Fleet Owner here in Hagerstown MD at the company’s powertrain assembly plant.

He said the addition of “crawler gears” to the I-Shift AMT will provide a “bang-on opportunity” to gain more business from vocational segments, especially heavy haul. “We have a great vocational [truck] product in the VNX,” Nyberg stressed.

He added that the fuel efficiency and performance enhancements for the 2017 iterations of the OEM’s D11 and D13 engines will allow Volvo to “cast a wider net” in terms of gaining more customers in petrochemical, bulk haul, flatbed, regional, LTL, plus pickup-and-delivery applications.

“It is a new year and the market has slowed down,” Nyberg said. “The super-hot market of 300,000 trucks last year will now lead to a softer year ahead. So now it is all about finding fuel efficiency, driver productivity and [vehicle] uptime for customers.”

Wade Long, Volvo’s director of product marketing, noted during the Hagerstown event – which marks the start of a rolling two-week product introduction process for the OEM’s dealers – that all of those enhancements should widen the appeal of Volvo’s powertrain options among fleets seeking fuel efficiency and lighter weights without compromising on performance.

In terms of the price tag associated with those new product offerings, Nyberg would only say that “any new feature comes with a value proposition, so price will be based on the benefit offered to our customers.”

Yet John Moore, Volvo’s product marketing manager for powertrain, noted that the return on investment (ROI) specific engine enhancements, such as the D13 engine equipped with turbo compounding should be fairly quick. “We expect it to offer an ROI of one and half years,” he said.

And such savings are no longer limited to just over-the-road customers, either, he stressed, especially when it comes to the crawler gear option for the I-Shift.

“Dump truck and [concrete] mixer fleets want to get into fuel savings,” Moore said. “With the I-Shift they can now go down the highway with lower engine RPMs.”

That’s because the crawler gear-equipped I-Shift can reduce rear axle ratios down to 3.14 or even 3.08 compared to typical ratios in the vocational segment of 4.10. “That means you can experience an up to 4% fuel savings when driving [vocational trucks] on the highway.”

• 3 weeks later...

Volvo Trucks used SuperTruck learnings to boost efficiency, performance in 2017 powertrains; wave piston, turbocompounding, injection

Green Car Congress  /  April 14, 2016

Key learnings from Volvo’s SuperTruck (earlier post) efforts played a critical role in the design and engineering of Volvo Trucks North America’s recently introduced 2017 powertrain, delivering improved fuel efficiency and performance to customers. (Earlier post.)

The development of several new features, such as the wave piston, turbo compounding and a common rail fuel injection system, was supported by the SuperTruck program, sponsored by the US Department of Energy (DOE).

The US DOE SuperTruck program is a cost-shared, public-private partnership that promotes research and development to improve the freight-hauling efficiency of heavy-duty Class 8 long-haul tractor-trailer trucks. The program aims to help accelerate the development of advanced efficiency technologies that are not currently available in the market.

Volvo’s new 2017 powertrain offerings, which include new, enhanced Volvo D11 and D13 engines, turbo compounding for the D13 engine and a one-box Exhaust Aftertreatment System (EATS), feature components derived directly from the SuperTruck program.

Wave Piston. The SuperTruck program enabled extensive research of a typical combustion chamber and provided Volvo engineers the opportunity to test a new piston design. This new design added “wave” bumps on the side of the piston bowl, which allows the fuel to burn more cleanly.

The exact design of the piston was matured through tests and simulations, enabling exceptional gains in fuel efficiency, while significantly reducing soot generation. The patented wave piston, working in combination with Volvo’s other engine enhancements, delivers improved fuel efficiency of up to 2.2% for the D11 and 2.5% for the D13.

Turbo Compounding. Despite today’s efficient combustion and use of turbocharging, energy is still available in the exhaust in the form of heat and pressure. A new turbo compounding system was designed to recover this normally wasted energy on the 2017 Volvo D13 with Turbo Compound, helping boost fuel efficiency by up to 6.5%.

The SuperTruck program enabled Volvo engineers to refine the mechanics and aerodynamics of the new geartrain and turbine, ensuring peak efficiency in the “sweet spot” for Volvo’s integrated powertrain solution, which includes the I-Shift automated manual transmission and downsped engines.

Common Rail Fuel Injection System. A proven common rail fuel injection system was adapted to Volvo’s 2017 D11 and D13 engines. It enables a higher injection pressure, which improves combustion, and allows for finer control of the injection event.

Through the SuperTruck program, the fuel injection system was optimized to match the new wave piston. Extensive engine testing and simulations led to an injector with enhanced flow rate, spray angle and pressure characteristics that allow the engine to operate more quietly and burn fuel more efficiently.

The US DOE is launching SuperTruck II, an $80-million funding opportunity (DE-FOA-0001447), subject to congressional appropriations, for further research, development and demonstration of long-haul tractor-trailer truck technology.