New Truck

cf685f

Well I did it again, I looked at a truck, test drove it and brought it home! I have a CF, but I have really been wanting a Supliner or an R. I have been looking for years on Craiglist locally and last weekend a two owner R popped up.

Its a 1988 Mack R 688st. It originally was a fuel tanker for McKenan Transport out of Apex, NC. They sold it to a local contractor who had been eyeing it up since new. He jumped at the chance to buy it and he pulled a dump trailer and lowboy. Unfortunately, he passed and his family no longer had use for it. They keep it a couple of years moving it around the yard and last week decided to let it go.

Its was priced right and being a southern truck it had no rust holes. Dents and dings through out but it has never been refirb'd in any way.  AC was the only thing that I could see on a quick look that was not working. Two scrappers and one exporter in line behind me, so I had to purchase it on the spot. I don't like to be in those situations, but I pulled the trigger.

Im a firetruck guys, so I bought on a feeling that it was worth the risk of the unknown. I don't have a vin decoder so I thought the experts here could fill me in on what exactly I bought. I drove it home 100 miles and it ran flawlessly, so Im hoping that a good sign. I hope!

Ok, hopefully you guys can see these photos. Thanks J. I'm really excited about it. Once you guys weigh in Ill know for sure but Im thinking its a 350 with a 9 speed. Starts right up and runs out very nicely. I have an old 237, so the extra HP really helps this one move out.

Since it was an over the road tractor it really moves out good. I think it will run 80mph, no probably with those freeway gears. Feels like a race car compared to my 237 with 5 speed that maxes out at 55.

Cool I was thinking it was a 350. I have alot of cleaning to do, but I think most of it will buff out with some sweat. I need some matching aluminium rims for the front. The hoods a little rough in some places, but it appears that hoods pop up in the classifieds from time to time. Hopefully I can find some used matching rims for the front and I have aluminium the hole way around. 

I think a good interior completed steam clean, a cab cleaning and a new rubber floor map will make a world of difference. 

Question, the tachograph is not working and is a little hard to read when driving. Could I change that out for another dash with just a regular speedometer and tach? 

Thanks for the kind reply's and I look towards my first ATHS show this summer with something other than my firetrucks. 

3 hours ago, cf685f said:

Ok, hopefully you guys can see these photos. Thanks J. I'm really excited about it. Once you guys weigh in Ill know for sure but Im thinking its a 350 with a 9 speed. Starts right up and runs out very nicely. I have an old 237, so the extra HP really helps this one move out.

Since it was an over the road tractor it really moves out good. I think it will run 80mph, no probably with those freeway gears. Feels like a race car compared to my 237 with 5 speed that maxes out at 55.

Boy, I'd be thrilled if either of my rigs could get anywhere near 55mph!!  My B42 Tops out at about 43 on a flat, and I'm told my ALF 700, were it actually running, would only do about the same.....  I'm OK with 43mph, but it sure makes the lines of cars behind me very unhappy!  And it's even worse if I hit a hill, and it slows down to about 35.....