manual eaton fuller to an autoshift eaton fuller

Got an idea here, found a reasonably priced 2011 CXU. it has low miles and a MP7 motor, and it has a manual Fuller trans right now. The question is, is it possible to put a Fuller autoshift trans in to it? Off hand we are thinking ecm reprogramming, and possible wiring harness changes. That is besides all of the obvious things. Take out auto shifts are readily available and reasonably priced. Before anyone tells me to just find and a truck with an autoshift, or to hire drivers that can shift trucks, i just want to state that this topic at this time is a brainstorming session. We have made the decision that all new/newer trucks from now on will be some type of automatic/ autoshift.

• Like 1

As a fleet owner, the value of an automated transmission is fantastic. Higher initial cost but repairs almost eliminated. And clutches!!!

And I think most sensible drivers would prefer it once they try it. I would be hard pressed to give up my I-shift now.

I'll get off my soapbox now lol sorry I can't help you much with the technical aspects of a swap.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

M-drive/I-shift still has a clutch it's just automated.

As a fleet owner, the value of an automated transmission is fantastic. Higher initial cost but repairs almost eliminated. And clutches!!!

And I think most sensible drivers would prefer it once they try it. I would be hard pressed to give up my I-shift now.

I'll get off my soapbox now lol sorry I can't help you much with the technical aspects of a swap.

M-drive/I-shift still has a clutch it's just automated. The automated trans is way more costly compared to a manual when it comes time for replacement but with 7 year 750k warranty it's well worth it. The downfall is coasting or moving them without the truck running, a few feet and the trans is toast. I just replaced a m-drive a couple weeks ago because an oil filter blew off the engine and the driver coasted to the shoulder...

Got an idea here, found a reasonably priced 2011 CXU. it has low miles and a MP7 motor, and it has a manual Fuller trans right now. The question is, is it possible to put a Fuller autoshift trans in to it? Off hand we are thinking ecm reprogramming, and possible wiring harness changes. That is besides all of the obvious things. Take out auto shifts are readily available and reasonably priced. Before anyone tells me to just find and a truck with an autoshift, or to hire drivers that can shift trucks, i just want to state that this topic at this time is a brainstorming session. We have made the decision that all new/newer trucks from now on will be some type of automatic/ autoshift.

Not sure totally about the RR auto shift but I would assume the clutch is auto actuated which could be a different housing. Having worked at a Mack dealer for 14 months now I can only say I've seen 2 auto shifts in Macks with MP engines. Both were CHUs. Like you said wiring, ecu, programming, labor might be costly. You maybe on to something though

We had a kw with an eaton auto shift. It was an 03 model that still had the clutch pedal. We had something go wrong with it and had a reman one put it. Not long after a that we decided to change it back to a manual shift and the near new auto shift was replaced... It couldn't be converted to a manual shift.

I was never in that truck so I didn't hear the the details but I'm assuming you would need a new gearbox.

M-drive/I-shift still has a clutch it's just automated. M-drive/I-shift still has a clutch it's just automated. The automated trans is way more costly compared to a manual when it comes time for replacement but with 7 year 750k warranty it's well worth it. The downfall is coasting or moving them without the truck running, a few feet and the trans is toast. I just replaced a m-drive a couple weeks ago because an oil filter blew off the engine and the driver coasted to the shoulder...

I understand they still have a clutch. It just removes the abuse factor away from the driver, greatly minimizing repair costs. A big plus for the truck owner.

• Like 2

My experience with an '04 Autoshift was that it was difficult to control the speed during slow maneuvers because the engine had to be running a certain RPM before the clutches would engage. No comparison to the smoothness of an Mdrive, but maybe those issues were addressed in later versions.

Jim

I have a '12 CHU with a Mdrive and I'm not too sure how much I like it. It's great in traffic, but there are times when it starts shifting crazy. And I have noticed when it's in performance mode it's not kicking out on its own, you have to manually kick it out. There are times I'm in neutral and when I hit the drive button it doesn't go int gear right away. And I've had the dealer look at it and put the updated software in. It has little over 400,000 miles. I'm thinking it might end up being a problem. 

On top of some of the other stuff that has been going wrong with it, I'm thinking I might start looking for an older truck to rebuild and stay away from the newer trucks. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On February 22, 2016 at 4:10 PM, storkmack said:

We are currently running one Mdrive. Tire wear is incredible, not to mention other benefits of smooth shifting.

How does the Mdrive make tire wear so much better?

• 2 weeks later...

At work (UPS) we got a ton of them. The first batch were tandems with the rear axle as a air tag, horrible ride and poor handling in snow. I just got a new one a month ago and it is a full twin screw. Shifts WAY nicer then the 10 psd ultra shifts in the Kenworths. It shifts smooth but never shifts the same way twice.