Building a Barn

3 hours ago, Tbear said:

I am a building contractor in utah and it's been good to whatcu your progress .it looks like things are done similar to how we do them out west. I was surprised to see a front dump cement truck in the east. I know not all places out ther use them. Out here it is about all we have. I've been reading your discussion about radiant heat, in Utah at least the roof mounted tube heat is more economical to put in an is all most as efficient .usally about 4 to 5 times cheaper to install . Here our temps in the day can vary 20 to 40 degrees from cold to hot on a good day. Winter in mountain home the high can be 15 to 20 for weeks on end. The tube heat does very good and is cheap to run. Good luck on your building I hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us would.

10 years ago you hardly saw a front dumper in the Philadelphia area, now you rarely see a rear dumper.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

9 hours ago, Tbear said:

I am a building contractor in utah and it's been good to whatcu your progress .it looks like things are done similar to how we do them out west. I was surprised to see a front dump cement truck in the east. I know not all places out ther use them. Out here it is about all we have. I've been reading your discussion about radiant heat, in Utah at least the roof mounted tube heat is more economical to put in an is all most as efficient .usally about 4 to 5 times cheaper to install . Here our temps in the day can vary 20 to 40 degrees from cold to hot on a good day. Winter in mountain home the high can be 15 to 20 for weeks on end. The tube heat does very good and is cheap to run. Good luck on your building I hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us would.

problem with the ceiling mounted units is if you bring in a truck or piece of equipment that has been out in the cold and you try to work under it, it blocks the ceiling unit. you end up under the truck that is radiating cold down on you while you work. Floor heat heats primary the first 6-8 feet and thats where I work. As for cost, its a lot more. In the 6k sq. ft building I am putting up it was like 8,500 for ceiling tubes or 39,000 for in the floor heat. I went in floor because I believe it is that much better.

never seen a front dump truck in the land of OZ almost every thing is pumped now days and I mean everything what a change from 10 or 15 years ago 

It always amazes me a building looks small when its only the footings and sought of grows in size when been built I always reckon 

Paul

23 hours ago, Tbear said:

My great uncle built and owned the local cement plant in my area (Wescon) for a long time, and he (and others in the surrounding areas) seemed to favor Autocar rear dumpers when I was growing up.  When the building boom hit southern New England in the 80s and they were all flush with cash, it seemed that everyone in a 30 mile radius of here updated their fleets and they all went to the front dumpers.  The only rear dumpers I see now are occasionally up in the Providence area, and they seem to be mostly run by the big construction outfits doing road work, like Cardi Construction, and I think that Pawtucket Ready Mix still ran a few into the 2000s, although I haven't seen any of their rigs in quite a while, and I'm not even sure they're still around.

My great uncle also had a couple of old Mack dumps that he ran back in the 40s and 50s.  He retired them in the 70s when the union demanded power steering, and I lived close enough to the plant that I used to ride my bike there, and go out to the back field and play in the old dumps.  I think that there were a couple old LJs and an old Autocar out back there.....

wescon.gif

• Like 2

On 4/29/2016 at 6:19 PM, ekennedy21 said:

problem with the ceiling mounted units is if you bring in a truck or piece of equipment that has been out in the cold and you try to work under it, it blocks the ceiling unit. you end up under the truck that is radiating cold down on you while you work. Floor heat heats primary the first 6-8 feet and thats where I work. As for cost, its a lot more. In the 6k sq. ft building I am putting up it was like 8,500 for ceiling tubes or 39,000 for in the floor heat. I went in floor because I believe it is that much better.

I talked to a guy about radiant heat who said he had worked in a shop that had it. He said if you are working where the radiant heat does not hit you, you are cold. If you are where it does hit you, it is too hot.

• 1 month later...

Looks good.  That's just about the size I'd like to be able to afford to put up one day.

Sometimes it gets tiring pulling my truck in and out of the house garage with about 1/2" to spare on all sides....  I dream about a 10' door.....

btw - I assume that's a plastic target deer in the background, and not a pet deer just out taking a nap?

10 hours ago, Mack58B42 said:

Looks good.  That's just about the size I'd like to be able to afford to put up one day.

Sometimes it gets tiring pulling my truck in and out of the house garage with about 1/2" to spare on all sides....  I dream about a 10' door.....

btw - I assume that's a plastic target deer in the background, and not a pet deer just out taking a nap?

Thats some keen eyes there Bambi is not safe in this neck of the woods Bambi is feral and eating us out of house and home cute as a button though 

Not the ugly bugger holding it shame some irresponsible people bred them and let them go but the law is the law and they gotta go 

Paul

DSCF0457.JPGDSCF0458.JPG

Edited by mrsmackpaul
  • Like 1

I have a couple of little doe's running in the woods behind my house, see them hen they are eating my flowers. I put a second coat on the barn floor of sealer this weekend, the finish gets nicer with each coat. this will probably be it, used 7 gallons to cover 900 sq feet put it all on with a roller and a brush along the edge.

10409812.JPG

• Like 1

Was a 6 month backlog  when I ordered the barn in December and now it's going to be the end of July to have it done, I at least know they will be here soon because all the materials are here and they wanted to know where to place a dumpster. So long as it is up soon no issue the trucks are stored in another building off site for now.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Little update on the barn, well you know how bad things come in three's, well they aren't kidding. Since my last post I have had a rough month with Mother Nature related to my real job as the grounds Superintendent for two 18 hole golf course, so at one I get a call they can't fill the detention pond to irrigate, I go over and sure enough we can't get water up to the pond, turns out the 10" main under the river cracked and all my water is in the river, fine we spend 4 days pulling a 4" HDPE pipe trough the old one and get it back up and ok, then this weekend severe storms toppled 8 lg trees at my other course, fine we work all day to get it playable for the members and all is ok.  I go home and just sat down and it starts to rain and thunder and then I here a loud crash, I go look out my back window and I see a tree laying through my roof trusses for the barn that they had payed out to errect on Monday. So now I sit and wait for new roof trusses to be made in PA and shipped up and meanwhile the errection crew has moved to another job. Mother Nature kicked my ass. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Ugh.........I've spent the last few years taking trees out at my house.   Old Silver Maples that are just waiting to fall on my house/garage.  Took care of most of them, but have a few left to get rid of.  I like trees, just not near anything I cherish.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

2 hours ago, jackb61sx said:

Little update on the barn, well you know how bad things come in three's, well they aren't kidding. Since my last post I have had a rough month with Mother Nature related to my real job as the grounds Superintendent for two 18 hole golf course, so at one I get a call they can't fill the detention pond to irrigate, I go over and sure enough we can't get water up to the pond, turns out the 10" main under the river cracked and all my water is in the river, fine we spend 4 days pulling a 4" HDPE pipe trough the old one and get it back up and ok, then this weekend severe storms toppled 8 lg trees at my other course, fine we work all day to get it playable for the members and all is ok.  I go home and just sat down and it starts to rain and thunder and then I here a loud crash, I go look out my back window and I see a tree laying through my roof trusses for the barn that they had payed out to errect on Monday. So now I sit and wait for new roof trusses to be made in PA and shipped up and meanwhile the errection crew has moved to another job. Mother Nature kicked my ass. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

'Doh!!!

As I think I talked about before insulate the inside of your pole barn after the electric goes in and then put the steel skin to finish.we put the 1st Morton up in 2006 42x52 no insulation or skin inside ,2nd Morton in 2014 42x60 insulated and skin ,had to connect with a hallway 5x12 which we did.  with 12'' in ceiling and 6 in walls it is 15 to 20 warmer in winter and a lot cooler in the summer.

When given lemons...At least you have some fire wood now that fall is only a month away.

Seriously, what a bummer. I hope all goes well from now on.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!