Vegemite

kscarbel2

Scrapple, Grits, Salt Dried Cod don't get more tastier then those three.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I'm a born and raised Yankee who married southern. I'll tell you that my best friend growing up and to this day moved from Australia going into kindergarten and his wonderful cooking norther Irish mother and British father tried to get me to eat Vegemite every time I slept over. Wouldn't touch the stuff. I probably need to try it now that I've got kids and encourage them to try everything on the table at least once.

My assistant is from the UK and eats marmite toast every morning. Thanks for the warning about it.

Now onto the southern stuff.... I've been indoctrinated. Pinto beans with bacon and onions over a piece of real (not that sugary crap) corn bread is unreal. My sausage gravy (was taught by a sweet old lady from Evarts, KY how to make it right) is out of this world, fried okra, fried pickles, and real fried chicken... Holy crap I'm getting hungry.

I'll try the Vegemite. I'm sure id rather eat a shit sandwich though. Hoping I'm pleasantly surprised.

I land in Nashville in 15 minutes and will be in Cookeville TN by 8. Hoping the kitchen is still serving at Crawdaddys. I got a hankering!!!!!

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

On 1/18/2016 at 8:03 AM, General Ike said:

I'm a born and raised Yankee who married southern. I'll tell you that my best friend growing up and to this day moved from Australia going into kindergarten and his wonderful cooking norther Irish mother and British father tried to get me to eat Vegemite every time I slept over. Wouldn't touch the stuff. I probably need to try it now that I've got kids and encourage them to try everything on the table at least once.

My assistant is from the UK and eats marmite toast every morning. Thanks for the warning about it.

Now onto the southern stuff.... I've been indoctrinated. Pinto beans with bacon and onions over a piece of real (not that sugary crap) corn bread is unreal. My sausage gravy (was taught by a sweet old lady from Evarts, KY how to make it right) is out of this world, fried okra, fried pickles, and real fried chicken... Holy crap I'm getting hungry.

I'll try the Vegemite. I'm sure id rather eat a shit sandwich though. Hoping I'm pleasantly surprised.

I land in Nashville in 15 minutes and will be in Cookeville TN by 8. Hoping the kitchen is still serving at Crawdaddys. I got a hankering!!!!!

On English muffins and toast, spread it on thin. A Vegemite and cheese sandwich is quite good, tomato and lettuce optional (don't spread it on thick like peanut butter). You can also add it to gravy to enhance taste.

I bet my English ancestors used it to grease the cannons during their privateer days in the 1600's . . .

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 8 months later...

Supermarkets pull Marmite over plunging pound – Prime Minister silent

The Financial Times  /  October 12, 2016

The plummeting pound is threatening UK households’ supplies of Marmite* spread, as Tesco, the country’s biggest supermarket, pulled dozens of products from sale online in a row over who should bear the cost of the weakening currency.

Unilever has demanded steep price increases to offset the higher cost of imported commodities, which are priced in Euros and dollars, according to executives at multiple supermarket groups.

But Tesco signaled it would fight the rises, removing Unilever products like Marmite from its website and warning that some of the items could disappear from shelves if the dispute dragged on. Other supermarkets have warned that they could follow suit.

The pound has fallen 17 per cent since Britain voted to leave the EU.

Officials cautioned ahead of the June 23 referendum that a vote for Brexit would cause food prices to rise, a warning that Eurosceptic MPs have dismissed as “scaremongering”.

Tesco head Dave Lewis signaled last week that it he was limbering up for a fight with suppliers that tried to use the fall in sterling to push through price increases.

He said many of them had failed to pass on currency benefits to consumers when sterling was on the way up, and that he was “uncomfortable” with efforts to raise prices on the way down.

An executive at another British supermarket group said Unilever had threatened to cut off its entire supply unless it agreed to an across-the-board price increase of 10 per cent. He said the retailer would consider banishing Unilever products from its stores rather than comply with the ultimatum.

Unilever refused to comment on its negotiations with supermarkets.

Tesco said in a statement: “We are currently experiencing availability issues on a number of Unilever products including Marmite. We always work to ensure customers get the best possible prices and we hope to have this issue resolved soon.”

*  Unilever Marmite is the UK equivalent of Australia’s Vegemite and New Zealand’s Sanitarium brand Marmite.

• 3 months later...

Vegemite goes back to Australian ownership

The Financial Times  /  January 18, 2017

Vegemite, the potently flavoured breakfast spread, is to return to Australian ownership after spending most of its near-century of existence in foreign hands, just as sales growth is starting to flag.

Mondelez International [the snack and food brands of the former Kraft Foods Inc] is selling the yeast extract spread to Bega Cheese as part of a A$460m (US$345m) deal.

The deal, which enables Deerfield, Illinois-based Mondelez to focus its portfolio on its more global brands such as Oreos and Cadbury’s, comes as sales of Vegemite stagnated last year at A$108m, and declined from A$109.6m in 2014, with the vast majority of those sales made in Australia.

Barry Irvin, Bega chief executive, blamed lacklustre Vegemite sales on changes in “breakfast habits”.

Irvin says Bega’s strategy to reignite sales was to encourage consumers to eat Vegemite at other times of the day and that other brands included in the sale presented stronger growth opportunities.

“Aussies still love their Vegemite,” said Mark Topy, an analyst at Select Equities. “I don’t think Mondelez really knew what to do with the brand and I think an Australian company might have a better idea on how to grow sales. With a bit of brand management, you could see modest growth in Vegemite sales.”

Investors applauded the deal, sending Bega’s shares up 11 per cent to A$4.99 in Sydney, with analysts saying it gave the company a level of diversification from dairy during a volatile time in the industry.

The sale, announced on Wednesday, brings Vegemite’s ownership full circle back to its Australian roots where it was developed under the Fred Walker Company in 1923, when the eponymous businessman hired chemist Cyril Callister to develop a product to rival Marmite, the British spread that had become popular in Australia.

The late Walker formed a partnership with US company Kraft in 1925, which then acquired the Fred Walker Company including ownership of Vegemite. The spread continued to be made in Australia.

When Kraft split its international business into a separate company — Mondelez — in 2012, Vegemite became part of that company.

As part of the deal, the Port Melbourne-based factory and its 200-strong staff will be transferred to Bega.

Bega’s acquisition represents a shift in strategy for a company that has until now been mainly focused on the dairy sector. Since the former dairy co-operative listed on the Australian Securities Exchange in 2011, it has expanded rapidly. In 2015 it set up a joint venture with Blackmores, the Australian nutritional company, to export infant formula to Asia and develop “lifestyle nutritional” products.

Sad to see Australians falling for such intolerance. A lot of mass market foods are kosher and halal certified, and most customers happily consume them and never notice the little certification marks. When you're running a bakery that puts out 4 loaves of bread a second, it's easier to halal and kosher certify everything rather than stop and start the line to produce small quantities of halal or kosher product. The Imans and Rabbis also provide an extra level of food safety inspection that government often cannot.

Guys remember you're arguing with someone who is an expert on everything, who thrives on calling fellow BMT members names when her "FACTS" don't add up or someone disagrees with her. 

• Like 2

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.