The Mack “Aero-Max”

FYI: Some Mack trivia

As you know, Ford introduced its cutting edge new model year 1996 HN80 Ford Aeromax and Louisville at the 1995 Detroit auto show. (http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/41662-a-look-back-at-american-innovation-the-ford-hn80-new-aeromax-and-louisville/?hl=hn80)

(Ford filed for the Aeromax name in August 1987, abandoned it in September 1989, and filed again for the name in March 1995.)

But for the record, Mack Trucks applied for a trademark on the term Aero-Max in August 1987, and it was registered in February 1990.

(Volvo Group cancelled the registration of the Aero-Max term in March 2001).

When the CH was being developed in the 1980s, it wasn't alone.

The Mack CH was the modern and versatile replacement of the R-model. Like the R-model, the CH had no special aerodynamic features.

Noting Kenworth’s success with the aerodynamic new-for-1985 Kenworth T600, Mack created a highly aerodynamic prototype variant of the CH called the CA, or Aero-Max. And it was breathtaking in appearance, a truly revolutionary and modern design.

A DH was being developed and tested to replace the DM, utilizing a CH-style cab. Like the CH, the DH was a sharp looking truck, an impressive leap forward in vocational truck design.

In summary, Mack R&D had three options on the table for the sales group to consider for production:

CA - aerodynamic tractor for the 1990s

CH - modern replacement for the industry-leading R-model

DH - modern replacement for the industry-leading DM

• Like 1

Doug, I can't find my photographs of the CA, CH and DH prototypes on the test track at the Research Development & Test Center, however I can tell you it was not an excessively radical design (in my opinion). It didn't look anything like that. I wish some other Mack veterans would help me out here. We had some confidential photographs of the CA, CH, and DH that our district sales representatives showed the distributor principals around the country to gather their feedback.

When I went to college in 1996 a friend of mine got to visit Mack. He actually saw the prototype. He was a great artist so when he got back to his hotel he sketched it. When he got home he drew up a couple different pictures of them. I remember how there was a resemblance of a t600. He committed suicide a few years ago so I have no idea where the drawings are.