2004 Mack cx613 low power with road speed fault

Hi all,

I am brand new to this forum, but have found lots of useful info already. I have a 2004 Mack cx613 that is experiencing low power. It started out of the blue. With an unloaded trailer it struggles to get to 50 mph. Low boost pressure also. The only fault code in it is road speed voltage to high. I changed the sensor and now my speedo works but same low power same code. Just wanted to ask some more seasoned Mack guys if I'm going in the right direction looking into that fault code. I traded my Volvo in on this one and now I'm having regrets. Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks for the response. That's what I was gleaning towards. Just not to sure on where to go it's got a spn85 fmi 4 fault. Which is voltage less than normal. Before I changed the speed sensor it was a different fault. I'm just not sure where to look next. Both wires are reading .2 volts. I'm not much of a Mack man, but from reading earlier posts there are sure a bunch of you on here

I would begin by removing the passenger side kick panel. It houses the VECU and ABS modules. The FMI:4 is low voltage or short to ground, The kick plate is metal and the harness wires are notorious for rubbing/chaffing on the cover. I would check the wires and make sure everything looks ok there. If all looks good then you need to measure the resistance between pins VJ2-11-1.0 and VJ2-10-1.0. These are on the Vj2 connector on the VECU, the wires are labeled and the VECU has VJ1, VJ2 and so forth labelled on the cover next to the connectors. The resistance of the circuit should be nearly the same as the sensor-approx 140-180 ohms. Most that I've measured were around 160-170 ohms. If that checks out ok then measure pins VJ2-10 and VJ2-11 against all other pins on the VECU including ground, all should be open circuits. If you find continuity in a circuit outside the two for the sensor then you have a short to that circuit. Now the fun begins....finding the short.

Most likely its shorted to ground somewhere. My guess would be the VECU/ABS cover or on top of the transmission somewhere. I'll post a picture of the wiring diagram for the sensor circuit, its crude but it works:

post-12742-0-69531400-1450415086_thumb.j

post-12742-0-45784300-1450415087_thumb.j

The wires go directly to the VECU. The speedometer gets its info from the VECU. After looking at the diagram again I realize I mislead you. You should be measuring pins VJ2-11 and VJ2-12 for speedo sensor resistance and these pins vs all others to make sure there are no shorts. Sorry about that, blond moment I guess.

VJ2-9 and 41-A-0.8 are for PTO #1 switch. I believe the wrong connector is plugged into the speedo sensor. Find the wires labeled VJ2-11 and VJ2-12 on top of the trans and plug it into the speedo sensor. The speedo may be working because it is getting its reading from the ABS module. The ABS module gets its speed reading from the right front steer axle sensor.

• 2 years later...

Hi, there.

Im also new to this forum, Im having a similar situation after a shop installed a rebuilt transmission and clutch,  its a mack ch613 1997 427hp, my speedometer is not working and I don't have any power!!, electronic malfunction light is on and code is 4-2.

I bought a new speed sensor, installed it and checked the tone ring last night and nothing still have the same problem...

I wonder if you guys can give me some ideas on what could it be.

Thanks!

Check all connections and wires for damage and put your eyes in connectors for terminals backed out or damaged. Assume they stretched your harness, which can cause an invisible internal separation in the wires. They swapped rear output yoke, so make sure pickup ring is tightly compressed below yoke shoulder and not loose(or missing). Make sure your adjusted (gapped) properly at sensor. 

In the good old days drivers would disconnect the Speedo pickup to over ride governed speed. In the not so good ol days the computer recognizes the Speedo loss as an attempt to manipulate the governing so it derates your power as a “ha ha” maneuver. Good luck!

Found the problem, (code 4-2)with my speedometer not working and low power. After a clutch and transmission installment. 

When they changed the transmission, someone plugged the female conector from speed sensor (on the back of the transmission)into a wrong male plug wire.....it fitted perfectly !

Got under the truck and found a hanging wire near the back of the transmission unplugged the speed sensor from that connector and plugged back to this other one BAM ! It works now....

Thanks guys ,this is a great forum.

• Like 2