237 flywheel?

Freightrain

OK just got my flywheel and was going to run the bolts in my crank to clean out the threads. Ummmm, the bolts are too small.

Why is my crank 3/4-16 thread and this flywheel take 5/8??

Can I just open the holes or is there something unique about it?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well it is all in one piece now. Everything is bolted on. The primer pump was not working so I had to do a little finesse with it. Finally got fuel returning to my jug. Like is good. Only hiccup is I don't have a big enough air line to the starter to make it run fast enough to start it. Ugh. Either buy a 1" line or pull electric starter from truck and wire it up. Time with tell.

Larry

Had the cover off the gov. and the pump. Had a couple sticky plungers(which I freed up). Everything seems to move fine. I do have a thick book(manual) to cover turbo if things did awry(I wish thinking ahead). I'm only using enough fuel to barely start it the first time. Once it "starts" I will stick the line back in my bucket of fuel.

Likely tomorrow I will pull starter from truck to start it. If it runs fine I will be pulling truck apart anyway.

• Like 1

Larry

It RUNS!!!!! Now if I could link it with my phone. YouTube "59mack" and it is there.

Took a couple tries. Used a heat gun to warm the intake up and a couple small shots of ether and it fired off. Really excited. Surprisingly the motor runs smooth and didn't want to walk around on the floor. Air starter works but only after I put enough air lines on it to be strong enough to spin it. Now to start tearing truck down.

• Like 2

Larry

OK question for the day: how much oil do the rockers pump? Even after a few minutes of running it only has a couple valve tips with oil on them. The rest are dry. The rocker shafts are wet along with the pushrod cups. Just concerned as it is making 80 psi right now because it is so cold. It should be pouring out somewhere.

I've had them off. Should I pull the rockers again and make sure the oil holes are clear. I washed them in parts washer but didn't tear them apart.

Larry

It takes some time before the oil starts to slobber out of the rockers.Thats the reason after a mack over haul I would always pour the new oil in before the Valve covers went on.The is a way the the oil can be cut off from the rockers.On one rocker stand there is a loack bolt holding the rocker shaft in place.If that bolt was missing the shaft could have turned cutting the flow.But then the rockers and shaft will be worn out from lake of oil.

• Like 1

glenn akers

I was curious about that Glenn. I know on my FE engines the rocker shafts have to be rotated a specific way or they don't oil the rocker properly and they sqeak(and then wear out if you don't fix it). I bought my first 428 30 yrs ago with this issue and figured it out.

I'm going to pull the shafts and see where the oil holes are at on the shafts. Not sure if the book shows location or not? I know the holes should be on the bottom side of the shaft if like a Ford motor. That is the wear side. I did clean them up before putting the top end back on. Don't recall rotating the shafts, but it is a possibility. Better to check now. Only two on the front head are dripping oil on the valve stems. Rear, nothing.

I only added some oil to the filters when I screwed them on. Haven't added any other oil, it was near full and no water in it(drained some oil to see). I'll be changing it once I get it in the truck(or just before while on the ground). I did oil the tips/rockers and the like before assembly so it wouldn't be completely dry on start up.

Larry

• 3 weeks later...