The Mack A Model Registry

Hi all

As suggested by Joe D., I thought it might be an idea to try to get an A-model registry off the ground as well. The E-model registry is ticking along and one of the many things on my list of jobs to do is contact the ATHS and ATCA to see if they can pass on members' details for those who own such Macks. We'll see how that goes.

In the meantime, if you have an A (same cab as E...and probably a few other similarities) or know of some around, please post her chassis number, and any other details you know, here. I would also appreciate your real name, location and email address but you can PM that if you want to keep it private. I know less about As than I do Es (even less of them down here than Es too) so I'm perhaps not the best person to run a registry but since the E registry is set up why not?! As with the E registry, when this eventually gets to 50 entries, I'll make it available to all in pdf format.

Barry, could you please pin this thread?

Let's see what comes out of the woodwork.

Andy

Whatever rubs your buddah.

The Mack E Model Registry - 103 entries
The Mack A Model Registry - 14 entries

OK ANDY here ya go B) , 1951 A-30. Engine is a Mack Magnadyne EN 330, Flathead 6, 330 ci. Tranny is a 5 speed Fuller, direct in forth. Mack rearend with 6:86/1 gears. Has 9:00X20 tires. Very low miles :D . Former fire truck that now sports a 12' flatbed. Chassis no: A30H-2355. My e-mail is, ilovebigdog@aol.com. Phone is 330-354-9775.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

here you go,Andy

These 3 are "parts" trucks so I don't what years they are,no titles.

A50T1637

A50T3899

A50T4851

I have 4 A54T's but 2 of them are missing the door tag and the numbers stamped on the frames(stamping the numbers at the back of frame was not one of Mack's better ideas)One of them used to belong to Tim McCormack,maybe he remembers the VIN#.

1952 A54T1586

1952 A54T????

1953 A54T1909

1953 A54T????

here you go,Andy

These 3 are "parts" trucks so I don't what years they are,no titles.

A50T1637

A50T3899

A50T4851

I have 4 A54T's but 2 of them are missing the door tag and the numbers stamped on the frames(stamping the numbers at the back of frame was not one of Mack's better ideas)One of them used to belong to Tim McCormack,maybe he remembers the VIN#.

1952 A54T1586

1952 A54T????

1953 A54T1909

1953 A54T????

Thanks OD, Mike and Barry - excellent stuff. We're now on 13 entries. With what you guys provided, we have a few firsts:

- the lowest chassis number: 1504 owned by Watt's

- the first A40S: as provided by OD.

- the highest chassis number: 10268 provided by OD.

- the first A50Ts: thanks Mike.

- the first A54Ts: Mike again.

At first glance, based on previous listings, I would say all of Mike's A50Ts are 1951 builds. However, I have Sarnia Concrete's A30H 3474 listed as 1952 and Rob's A40H 5180 listed as 1951 so that doesn't really help Mike's 4851. Looking at the A54Ts doesn't help either! All very interesting.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Welcome John and thanks for the listing. I take it you're the owner?

Am going through a bit of upheaval at present but I'll let you know when I've added the truck to the registry.

• 7 months later...

I attached a picture of my A20H, 1952 I believe. Just got the transmission back in it and drove it last night, had a little problem with the main drive gear on the countershaft, but it's all better now. I'll get back to you with the serial number. Sure am happy you started this registry, I've owned this truck for 15 years and haven't ever seen another one of them. Thanks, Bill

post-4723-12541910535555_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Joe, Thanks for the response, I was beginning to think nobody cared. I wrote to the Mack museum a couple of years ago and they had a wealth of information about the truck. The chassis number is A20H 3511 and the engine number is EN291-21-40. They show a build date of 12-11-1951 and it was sold to the State of New York and delivered to the City of Staatsburg on 12-31-1951. (Not sure if that makes it a 1951 or 1952 model). I bought the truck about 15 years ago from a guy in Red Hook, NY and I believe I paid $700.00 for the truck and then spent $900.00 to have it shipped to Omaha. Then it was about another $150.00 to have it towed to the abandoned rock quarry where it resides to this day, happily I might add. It took a little TLC to get it running but has been well worth the cost in fun alone. Anyway, about that flower planter thing, Who would have thought that 58 years after the truck was built, I would get to drive it around the rock quarry, haul brush and wood, build huge bonfires, and grill out steaks. As an added bonus, the wife helps me load the brush and doesn't demand to drive the Mack. Yes, Life is good, I know the Mack feels the same way, not sure about the wife. Again, thanks for the response, Bill

• 1 month later...

hi Andy i have a 1950 A20 its got 41,000 original miles, it was owned by mack trucks til 1983 when my grandfather purchased it from them its got the magnadyne 6 with a 5spd gearbox that was changed by mack from its original 4spd, it has 9.00x20 tires, chassis number is a20h1001 it is the first A20 that was ever built i had finished restoring it last may i drive it pretty much every weekend

• 1 month later...

I'm glade I'm not the only one intersted in old Macks. I also have a 1978 R model that is a everyday runner. I'm glade to see other goodlooking A models that still exists and have not been crushed. there is not many Mack enthusiest around my area I'm in a class by myself. remember if you aint Mackin it you aint truckin it.

• 4 weeks later...

Heres my 51 A40, I'm not sure on the number If I remember corectly the frame was cut and part of the number is gone but I'll check the next chance I get. when I removed the seat the cab had may 1951 stenciled on the cab behind gthe drivers seat, so I'm pretty sure that makes it a 51. Got the flat head magnadyne gas engine in it, (needs a carb kit or carberator) runs out pretty good for the shape the carb is in. 10 speed mono shift trans and a mack rear end. I got it for 550 from a fella in Port Lyden NY, 4 hrs after unloading it we had her running again, that was 5 years ago.

I'm in the process of building a house all the lumber loaded on the back is red oak I cut off the proporty for flooring. Headed up to the basment for winter storage, the old Mack was just begging to earn her keep again. Sure beat loading it in my pickup and making several trips to go 100 yards, no idea how much this load weighs but she was down to the helpers.

One day I'd like to restore the old girl, had hopes of making it back into a tractor but I think a 12' stake raack would better suit my needs seeings I have no real use for a tractor. In the mean time the old Mack will continue to run building materiales from the barn 100 yards up the hill to my house. I plan on cutting all the lumber to length marking where it goes then loading it onto the mack, once I've go it loaded run it all up the hill then assemble... I hope

101_2239.jpg

• Like 1

HELLO MY MACK IS A FIRE CHASSIS 475A WITH ENF377 MOTOR 6 CYL, FLATHEAD THAT HAS DUAL ING, SO I CAN FIRE 12 PLUGS. THE CAB FOR CANADA HAS HEATER AND DEFROST . 5 SPEED TRANS , 2 SPEED REAR END 6 SPOKE WHEELS WITH NICE MACK HUB CAPS .. THE MOTOR RUNS THE FUEL PUMP AND WATER PUMP NEEDED TO BE REDONE .I HAVE NEW BRAKE MASTER CYL. AND FRONT WHEEL CYL.. PAINT JOB IS NOT ORG. OR IN GOOD COND,ONLY ONE RUST SPOT IN CAB . LEFT FRONT FENDER HAS A WRINKLE. REAR FENDERS ARE IN POOR SHAPE,THE INNER ANGLE BRACKET WAS WELDED TO THE FENDER ,THE HEAT AFFECT ON THE METAL IS RUSTED BAD. RAYMOND

Raymond

Hi Fireman, Thanks for posting the picture of your "A" model. I always enjoy seeing these trucks in there natural habitat. Sounds like you are getting some good use out of it and having fun too. Can't wait till all this snow goes away and I can get back down to the quarry to play with my Mack some more. You mentioned having some carb problems and mine has some too. It seems to me like I'm having some accelerator pump problems because of the lag time when giving it gas. I had the carb apart about 10 years ago and it seems to me they have a metal to metal contact for the pump. Must be worn enough to not have a good seal, that's what I'm thinking anyway. I'll probably have it apart this spring and try to see what I can figure out, maybe a couple of sidedraft webers would solve the problem, LOL! Let me know what you come up with for a solution. Anyway, thanks again for the picture,

Bill

Just got whats left of the number off my frame, 40T5312 stamped behind the rt side rear spring. The frame was cut jjust behind that at some point in its life so I'm not sure if any of the number is missing or not.

Mine acts even worse than Bills Mack describes, once it warms up I can keep it running by playing with the choke but cant give it any gas unless I'm real steady on the throttle. Makes for some interesting shifting to say the least, warming up it up is a real treat as well. When I got the truck I had the carb off and cleaned it out, the acceleration pump was corroded in to the point that I couldnt get it out with out busting somthing. Being that I wanted to hear it run we put it back together and gave it a try. I think I'm going to pick up a rebuilt carb for it if I can find one, I dont use this truck much but I may use it a little more if I could keep it running with out hanging off the choke all the time. Once I've got a good carb on I'll tear into this carb again, I should beable to set it up in the mill and bore the old piston out then make up a new one. as long as I have the old girl running good I wouldnt be afraid to experment a little with this carb but being its the only one I have right now I really dont want to mess it up.

Put a set of plug wires on yesterday afternoon, the originals were.... well almost 60 years old and had seen better days. The wires helped a little at least now it will run of all 6 but still not right with this carb.