New Mack Born Ready Video

Neil@Mack

On 11/2/2015 at 8:11 AM, Underdog said:

Like I said IMHO Mack wouldn't even exist today if not heavily invested by Volvo. Take it for what it is, it's the best we're going to get. Most trucks on U.S. highways are not American anymore. Freightliner, PACCAR, etc.

Mack AND Volvo still one of the best products available today. Not what it used to be, but compare to said freightliner or navistar.

"Take it for what it is, it's the best we're going to get"

It sounds like you are suggesting that Americans should all simply roll over and buy these Mack-badged North American Volvos, your argument being because "most trucks on U.S. highways are not American anymore".

I personally can't buy into that thought process (and that will be a hard sell with the thousands of operators who have suffered from the long-time injector cup nightmare).

"Mack wouldn't even exist today"

Correction, Mack Trucks no longer exists today.

I understand your point of view but PACCAR is based in Washington state with world wide subsidiaries.

Shared European technology with the PACCAR branded engine. There are no longer any pure American trucks( or automobiles for that matter) in our new global economy. I don't condone these new circumstances, but it is what it is.

I have just started restoring a 1985 MH613 and will put it to work when finished, because that is my most cost effective option. I won't consider buying anything newer than 2001. Stop buying new trucks and maybe the manufacturers and the government will concede to customer demands. But I am not going to hold my breath.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

And being of mostly Dutch ancestry, I suppose I should favor DAF. But we Dutch learned to get along with and trade with everyone, so I got no problem with Volvo being headquarted in Sweden. But I do have a problem with Volvo slowly killing off what was the world's best truck, Mack!

• Like 1

Gliders are going away - EPA will not continue to allow them. Gliders have been flying under the EPA and congressional radar for years but not anymore. I have customers that have bought them - they are not cheap (nearly the price of a new truck) and the reliability and fuel economy are suspect. Most dealers will not take them in trade - can't imagine what a glider will be worth in the future but guessing the values will be low and demand poor.

I do understand the EPA will eventually crack down on them, I'm actually surprised they let it go this long. They are the price of a new truck but they are more or less new also if you use remanufactured components to finish the truck, the only difference is you get a proven powertrain instead of a tier 4 engine that won't be nothing but a headache.

I figure the value of gliders will hold value and will still be going strong long after these new trucks have been sent to the scrap heap. Used trucks are going up in value also because people are just fixing them up instead of buying these new plies of junk.

Does anybody honestly think any of these new trucks will still be going 50+ years from now like the B models?

Gliders are going away - EPA will not continue to allow them. Gliders have been flying under the EPA and congressional radar for years but not anymore. I have customers that have bought them - they are not cheap (nearly the price of a new truck) and the reliability and fuel economy are suspect. Most dealers will not take them in trade - can't imagine what a glider will be worth in the future but guessing the values will be low and demand poor.

I wonder if the exact opposite will happen as trucks with out all pollution electronics on them become harder to get the demand might go up like so many things in the future are unknown till we get there and even then we arent real sure stranger things have happened

Paul

On 11/2/2015 at 11:32 AM, mrsmackpaul said:

I wonder if the exact opposite will happen as trucks with out all pollution electronics on them become harder to get the demand might go up like so many things in the future are unknown till we get there and even then we arent real sure stranger things have happened

Paul

Gliders have always been a lower re-sale value than a comparable new truck. Most states indicate glider on the vehicle title. Value currently is up due to demand but the market depends on if the gov't regulates gliders out of existence. You may be stuck with a truck you can't run and you can't sell.

BTW, checked the Mack website and it says that the 6 speed gathered ratio Maxitorque is still available. Wonder if that's a change of policy or another part of the Mack website that hasn't been updated? If it's for real, for on highway hauling at 80k pounds or less the 6 speed with the MP7-395C would be a great combination. Why gamble on the unproven M-Drive when you can have reduced shifting and million mile reliability?

It is a world economy. There are ever fewer products made entirely in a single country, everything seems to have parts and pieces from around the globe. Yes, back in the day there were small companies making high quality products that lasted. Now it is the era of disposable everything, trucks included.

Even a house (Allen Edwin homes) now comes with only a 10 year warranty. I have always thought a house should be built to last many generations not a measly 10 years.

It is just the fact of how things are like it or not.

Live in the past if you so choose but the future will move on without you.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Truck's are a rare item in Volvo Group's lifeless North American market "Born Ready" video.

When trucks are visible...........they are always in the background.

The video appears to have been originally created for a work clothes manufacturer, and resuscitated in a bid at Volvo's Mack brand business.

The video is a black eye for Volvo's U.S. brand and marketing firm, VSA partners.

Given how pathetic the US market video is, it's puzzling how Mack Australia was able to do what amounts to being a rather good "Born Ready" video.

Same meaningless, bland and forgettable slogan, but the video actually focuses on Mack, heritage and........trucks.

The one mistake is Volvo didn't hire the immensely respected Steve Brooks to be the narrator.

If one didn't know better, you'd swear that you were looking at two entirely different truckmakers (a bad one, and a very good one). That takeaway is damning to Volvo, and verifies once more that.........what Volvo Group has done, reduce an American icon down to a mere shell of its former self, a Mack nameplate on a North American Volvo platform, should be a crime.

Well there's a big difference in the styles of ads LOL 

I know which add portrays a tougher image. I'll let you all make your choice. Not one Mack working hard in one of them, the other is full of trucks working. And what's the go with the pretty music. LOL. Only music you should hear should be from the truck. And they wonder why they can't sell trucks ???????

Paul 

• Like 1

Volvo or not I visited one of the Mack factories and I felt like I was walking through someones house. Why? Because everyone was like family who worked there. They where all happy, they took pride in what they where building ( it showed  as each truck went down the assembly line.. ). They looked out for each other, the trucks they where building, and the customers they where building the trucks for. They all even took the time to say hi to me, to briefly explain what each of their jobs where etc. I have been through GM factories and i know peole who worked there, I know people who worked for Chrysler and you do not see the pride a you do at Mack.  It was an experience I will never forget. I was very very impressed. I have always LOVED Macks and i always will but  if you are not a Mack fan just take a tour of one of their factories and by the time you leave you will be a fan.

Edited by Tuffguy707
  • Like 2

Tony

1 hour ago, Tuffguy707 said:

Volvo or not I visited one of the Mack factories and I felt like I was walking through someones house. Why? Because everyone was like family who worked there. They where all happy, they took pride in what they where building ( it showed  as each truck went down the assembly line.. ). They looked out for each other, the trucks they where building, and the customers they where building the trucks for. They all even took the time to say hi to me, to briefly explain what each of their jobs where etc. I have been through GM factories and i know peole who worked there, I know people who worked for Chrysler and you do not see the pride a you do at Mack.  It was an experience I will never forget. I was very very impressed. I have always LOVED Macks and i always will but  if you are not a Mack fan just take a tour of one of their factories and by the time you leave you will be a fan.

Volvo Group only has one Mack brand plant in the US, that being Lehigh Valley Operations (previously called Macungie by the former Mack Trucks after its location), outside of Allentown. Is that the location you visited?

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:48 PM, mrsmackpaul said:

Well theres a big difference in the styles of adds LOL 

I know which add portrays a tougher image I'll let you all make your choice not one Mack working hard in one of them the other is full of trucks working and whats the go with the pretty music LOL only music you should hear should be from the truck, and they wonder why they cant sell trucks ???????

Paul 

Paul, compare the two amateur US market mDrive brochures with the far better one put out by Mack Australia.

Volvo still keeps their hands tied about releasing any specs, but it's a much better brochure. Must be two different Mack outfits.

Mack US (which operates in a vacuum under clueless management)

http://www.macktrucks.com/~/media/files/brochures/mack_mdrive_ss_0316_hr.ashx?as=1&la=en

http://www.macktrucks.com/~/media/files/brochures/mack_mdrive_hd_crawl_sellsht.ashx?as=1

Mack Australia (which carries on like a professional, accomplished truckmaker).

https://www.macktrucks.com.au/~/media/files au/brochures/mdrive_brochure_12_2015.ashx?as=1&la=en

The US market brochures don't mention "Maxi-Shift" and "Heavy-Duty Shift". In the spirit of the former Mack Trucks' Maxidyne, Maxitorque and Maxi-Glas terminology, Mack Australia carries the flame forward with "Maxi-Shift".

19 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Volvo Group only has one Mack brand plant in the US, that being Lehigh Valley Operations (previously called Macungie by the former Mack Trucks after its location), outside of Allentown. Is that the location you visited?

Yes, we stopped there on our way to a weekend trip to Philadelphia about 5 or so years ago. 

We also went to the Mack museum in Allentown.

Edited by Tuffguy707

Tony

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 10:08 PM, kscarbel2 said:

Paul, compare the two amateur US market mDrive brochures with the far better one put out by Mack Australia.

Volvo still prohibits Mack Australia from releasing any specs, but it's a much better brochure. Must be two different Mack outfits.

Mack US (which operates in a vacuum under clueless management)

http://www.macktrucks.com/~/media/files/brochures/mack_mdrive_ss_0316_hr.ashx?as=1&la=en

http://www.macktrucks.com/~/media/files/brochures/mack_mdrive_hd_crawl_sellsht.ashx?as=1

Mack Australia (which carries on like a professional, accomplished truckmaker).

https://www.macktrucks.com.au/~/media/files au/brochures/mdrive_brochure_12_2015.ashx?as=1&la=en

The US market brochures don't mention "Maxi-Shift" and "Heavy-Duty Shift". In the spirit of the former Mack Trucks' Maxidyne, Maxitorque and Maxi-Glas terminology, Mack Australia carries the flame forward with "Maxi-Shift".

You are right about them been a bit lite on for detail. And hows that US brochure 1 sheet of paper? You good onya. If people are gonna spend some decent coin, they wanna know what they are buying. Come on Mack USA get your act together. You are really letting the team you wanna convince truck drivers to give up the Road Ranger and Maxi Torque get off your bums Mack USA and go out there and show the drivers teach the drivers FFS pre school grade kids good do a better job of selling them 

Kevin, does Mack USA do a traveling Road Show like they do out here? Have a group of trucks that travel all over the country giving people drives of these new trucks or do they think people are gonna just roll in off the street and ask for something different? 

When the Maxidyne was released out here, they did the same style of thing and when Super-Liners and ..................... the list goes on. You want people to buy something, they have to know what it is and why. 

rant  over 

Paul

On 6/8/2016 at 11:14 AM, mrsmackpaul said:

You are right about them been a bit lite on for detail. And hows that US brochure 1 sheet of paper? You good onya. If people are gonna spend some decent coin, they wanna know what they are buying. Come on Mack USA get your act together. You are really letting the team you wanna convince truck drivers to give up the Road Ranger and Maxi Torque get off your bums Mack USA and go out there and show the drivers teach the drivers FFS pre school grade kids good do a better job of selling them 

Kevin does Mack USA do a traveling Road Show like they do out here have a group of trucks that travel all over the country giving people drives of these new trucks or do they think people are gonna just roll in off the street and ask for something different 

When the Maxidyne was released out here, they did the same style of thing and when Super-Liners and ..................... the list goes on. You want people to buy something, they have to know what it is and why 

rant  over 

Paul

Paul, I still can't get over how good the AU "Born Ready" video is, versus how bad the North America video is.

Meanwhile, Daimler has a great video to be proud of (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGDH8OLcQ7cI).

I don't know what Mack USA thinks. Within Volvo's senior Mack brand management, there isn't even one individual with a truck industry background........they live in a vacuum.

Road shows are popular in the global market, and quite successful. You can really connect with the local customers. But US truckmakers aside from General Motors never seized the opportunity.

General Motors, at one time a global technology leader and manufacturing powerhouse that touched nearly every aspect of people's lives, was very successful with its "Parade of Progress" road shows (as well as its World's Fair exhibits).

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/40653-remembering-gm’s-parade-of-progress-road-show/#comment-294654

• Like 1

• 5 months later...