MP8-505C

i had them clean it for good measure; the 09 truck I bought from dealer also; they said it showed it didn't need cleaning got it home & reading & listening to everyone (270000 miles on it) I pulled it apart for my curiosity; they service writer at Mack where they have the proper machine to do said it was the worse she had seen; so I told myself I would have done if bought another from dealer

Def is another story; according to salesperson that all there used trucks gets the regen & total system checked out firist to make sure all that works proper; well I didn't even open the top on the def tank; bought this truck 600 miles from me & about 200 of it coming home had service light come on; long story short someone had knocked the guts out of the def tank ( the top part where the little fill up nozzle goes in; laying in bottom of tank along with a tree stick & trash; anyways the put new def tank & pick-up tube & filters on it; when I got home by there local dealer; when you turned the truck off the stuff would leave away from filter then it would work so got home with 1 more stop; anyway filled it completely up & haven't run it much but needle has moved a little but haven't put many miles on it running local; burnt almost half a tank of diesel (175 full) needle on def tank has move from past the (F) mark to covering the (F) mark

I had all oils analysts done but it had a fresh oil change; oil still looks very clean after the trip home & few half days of work; guessing around 1200 miles

I really appreciate your opion & advise on it; it's really good folks on here with great advice; only if I could get half as good of help at my local dealer; sorry about me rattling on but couldn't stop. Thanks

No its all good, I spent a pile of Money @ Cummins on my KW. Every time I went there and I always left with the same issue or worse. I gave up with them and worked with my local repair shop who me I have a great relationship with. I eventually got it back to about 95% running properly for a fraction of the cost. The old saying if you want something done right, you do it yourself has never been more true.

That's brutal about all the junk in the tank etc.... I hope that doesn't give you any further problems. I would get 25 000 miles on it or so and do another good full service analysis on the oil. I am reasonably good at deciphering these things now. Post results on here to see what's really going on with the motor. It won't tell you everything, but it will tell you a fair bit.

Yea I plan too; I feel like I have a good relationship with the analysts that did my 09 model; I called them when got my results from the 12 model to verify all the readings they were Analysts, Inc. (Steve good guy) helped me out

When the guy at Mack where I had the firist experience with def tank he ran a manual regen & everything looked great with the proper numbers; you know when doing a stopped regen your engine goes through cycles where engine changes tunes; I asked him he said that engine is opening & closing egr valve & turbo changing it's vaines to build heat; I asked about settings & he said all was good or regen wouldn't done right

Wonder if it's a tps setting or maybe a bad tps; just really feels like it's in the pedal

Or do they just go bad & no response at all

Is there not a throttle % readout on the digital screen in the center of that dash? I can't remember, I am not in the truck right now. I would think you should be able to depress the pedal with just the key on and watch that the percentage is reflecting what you are doing with the throttle. Just a thought. You could certainly check that with the service software at the dealer, but there goes another 100 bucks. I would try that.

• 3 months later...

Well after reading other post on here found that my truck needed injectors; so I finally did the r&r on injectors & cups; truck runs like a completely different truck; which it should for the price of injectors & tools for the job; wish someone could explain the exhaust valve clearance setting with the shims; seems awful; well I'll wait to see if there is a explanation; luckily found source to get the shims I needed to set them

The reason the engine changes it's "tune" during parked regeneration is the ECM changes the injection timing and rate to provide unburned fuel in the exhaust stream to help the regeneration process the EGR valve does not open during regeneration. What did you find awful about adjusting the exhaust valves, Volvo has used those shims for years and has just recently gone to screws on the MP-8 and D-13 engines.

The reason the engine changes it's "tune" during parked regeneration is the ECM changes the injection timing and rate to provide unburned fuel in the exhaust stream to help the regeneration process the EGR valve does not open during regeneration. What did you find awful about adjusting the exhaust valves, Volvo has used those shims for years and has just recently gone to screws on the MP-8 and D-13 engines.

I've never had a parked regen

Guess I shouldn't said awful; wasn't hard; just had to get shims & measure & all; when all others I've worked on had the adjusting screws like the intake; injector & brake rocker arms had; didn't mean to offend anyone; just saying if you don't have the $1000.00 shim kit or access to 1 it can be a hassle; individual shims are bout $5 bucks a pc.