1963 C85 Pumper

ff6cav

There are places that will do the speedo, but I would remove and clean/grease the cable first. I use a GPS to accurately track my speed in lieu of having the analog speedo rebuilt.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 1 month later...

With warmer weather hopefully arriving before too long, and anticipating being able to actively work on the rig again, I've decided to convert to an electric fuel pump. Yesterday while checking on the rig, I discovered that the mechanical pump is now leaking both gas and oil, and after doing some research, a conversion seems to be a good way to go. After checking the forums here, I ordered a Carter P4070 on Amazon for $62 (free shipping), and will post pictures once I get it installed; I also plan to replace the fuel lines with ethanol-resistant hose. In the meantime, can any of you offer any helpful hints or things I should look out for when making the switch?

In the meantime, can any of you offer any helpful hints or things I should look out for when making the switch?

What did you use to determine this particular brand/model of pump? I ask because if you use a high pressure, low-volume pump you will starve that 707. I know several folks who converted 817G Waukeshas to electric and used high pressure pumps that starved the engine.

I also had the same issue with the mechanical pump on my 140GZ(F554G) Waukesha- ethanol ate away the diaphragm. It is a rare Delco-Remy pump made exclusively for Waukesha....So when I called around to find a diaphragm, I started to sweat when folks were laughing at me. Converted to an electric Airtex (low pressure, high volume) pump.

Try not to run ethanol-formulated fuel in that thing at all. If you HAVE to due to lack of eth-free fuels, make absolutely certain that you treat it with ethanol-formula STA-BIL (the green stuff) and never, ever keep it in your tank longer than 2-3 months. Only fill up enough that you will burn off in that time frame.

www.pure-gas.org

List of fuel stations with ethanol free fuel. DO NOT RUN HIGH OCTANE OR RACING FUELS. You risk burning valve seats.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Make sure the switch that controls the new pump is tied to the ignition circuit so you cannot leave it on with the engine shut down. This should prevent you from filling the crankcase with gasoline if the carb float sticks.

You may want to put a fuel pressure regulator on even though the pump you are using appears to have a low enough pressure.

By "replace fuel lines" I assume you mean only the existing rubber lines?? I would not use rubber all the way from the tank to the engine as the pump will happily keep fuel flowing through a broken line until it finds an ignition source. If the existing lines are rusty replace them with a steel line (steel brake line works fine).

You can place the pump almost anywhere in the lines, but if you put it near the tank it will act as a "lift" pump to deliver fuel more quickly after the truck has sat idle for awhile. (I assume the tank is in the rear near the back step) The downside is if a line leaks it will supply fuel to the leak; if it is mounted near the engine it will lose prime from a leak between it and the tank.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Carl, good point.

I forget which year it was....At Macungie.....the crankcase of one of Mike Yarnall's rigs (with an electric pump) got filled with gasoline when someone errantly turned on the wrong switch.

I've been disconnecting my battery terminals at Macungie or any other long-term show for this very reason.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I'm on my phone and can't "quote" posts right for some reason, but here goes- I had found a thread on here discussing this exact thing where that pump was listed as a viable option, but can't find it at the moment to link to it. As far as the fuel lines, that's correct, my plan is to replace the existing rubber hoses, more as a precaution than anything else, and I'm planning on wiring it with a relay so it is only on when the ignition is on. The pump arrived yesterday, so I'm hoping to get it installed sometime next week and will post the results when I do

• Like 1

You shouldn't need a relay as the draw is not that high. Mine picks up voltage from the ignition switch through a control switch and then directly to the pump.

Know it well. Speaking of ice cream runs, last time I drove through, it looked like the Distelfink was closed. Bummer. They had great milkshakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's been closed for a little while now, and nobody seems to want to buy it and re-open or build anything else there.

• 3 weeks later...

So today the weather and my work schedule finally somewhat aligned to let me poke around a little bit.  The new fuel pump is bolted on, using a bracket that was already there.  This was the best I could figure out this morning after working overnight, and it seemed to fit the old motto of 'keep it simple, stupid!'  It still needs wired up and the hoses attached, but I figure some progress is better than no progress at all.  

20160315_104912.jpg

• Like 2

After putting chargers on the batteries for the last 2 days, the old girl fired right up today!  The fuel pump worked perfectly and the 707 ran great, and I couldn't resist going for a very quick drive up the road and back.  Now that things are together and running, I have a family friend who is a retired heavy truck mechanic who will be looking over the clutch to see what exactly needs done with it.  

20160324_153629.jpg

20160324_153728.jpg

20160324_153745.jpg

6 hours ago, fxfymn said:

Nice job! Do you have the ladders, extinguishers etc. for the truck?

I was pretty fortunate on the equipment that came with it (hose, adapters, nozzles, etc), but ladders are the 1 big thing it is missing at this point

• 1 month later...